Paul Young drops by SDE to sign copies of the No Parlez reissue

Paul Young signing No Parlez

Paul Young dropped by SDE last week to sign copies of Music On Vinyl’s reissue of his classic 1983 debut No Parlez.

The album is pressed on limited edition purple vinyl and comes with a facsimile of the original insert. Like most Music On Vinyl releases this comes in a resealable outer sleeve, so we spent hours ‘de-sleeving’ each album (wearing latex gloves to avoid pesky finger marks) so that Paul could sign the front of each album cover.

Paul was on great form, and was telling us how much he was looking forward to supporting Cher on her UK tour (he plays London’s O2 with her tonight). Paul did a brilliant job with a black ‘sharpie’ and was remarkably consistent (see image above).

There are only 2,000 purple vinyl pressings of the No Parlez reissue available and Paul signed 600 exclusively for SDE.

SIGNED VERSIONS NOW SOLD OUT but you can still pre-order the limited coloured vinyl edition of No Parlez that isn’t signed (use button below or visit the SDE shop).

These are shipping this week and the official release date is this Friday, 25 October 2019.

Paul Young with SDE Editor Paul Sinclair

SIDE A

1. Come Back And Stay
2. Love Will Tear Us Apart
3. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home)
4. Ku Ku Kurama
5. No Parlez

SIDE B

1. Love Of The Common People
2. Oh Women
3. Iron Out The Rough Spots
4. Broken Man
5. Tender Trap
6. Sex

57 responses to Paul Young drops by SDE to sign copies of the No Parlez reissue

1. Björn says:

Got my signed copy today. ❤️

• Steve Hack says:

I’m a bit concerned,my copy was posted 2nd class by Royal Mail on the 24th and a week later still not received,should i have received it by now?.

You should have, yes. Although Royal Mail can take ages with second class sometimes. We now have a tracked 48 service which is £1 more at £5, but a) it is tracked, which text updates, and b) you can order up to 2kg (including the weight of the packaging) – roughly three albums – and it’s still £5.

2. John Higney says:

Received my signed copy on Friday superb this will now go with the signed 4Cd anthology I got a couple of years ago from SDE thanks Paul

3. frank seifert says:

Delivered to Germany sooner than expected. Great Great Great….

4. Atane says:

Terrific vinyl reissue!!
    Paul, do you think The Secret of Association may get the same treatment?
    Thanks again!

I think there’s a reasonable chance. If it happens, obviously we will stock this and I’ll ask Paul if he’d be interested in signing some more.

5. hendry doran says:

My copy arrived this morning. Beautiful signed glossy album cover and vinyl expertly packaged.

Many thanks Paul and the team

6. Peter says:

Received my copies today! Both in immaculate condition. Very happy with them, color of the vinyl is also very nice! Thanks Paul(s)!!

7. Dirk Hoffmann says:

My signed copy just arrived, what a GEM! Finally the proper vinyl-treatment this record deserves. Thanks Paul for your efforts!
    However, the funny bit is – Paul already mentioned that they used the short versions of Come back and stay and Love will tear us apart – the label printing still is: Come back and stay – 4:57 and Love will tear us apart – 5:00 … just like on my first 2 old copies with the single versions on it back in the day. Some things will never change. ;-)

8. Michel Banen says:

My signed copy was just delivered and it’s everything I hoped it would be. Totally awesome, beautifully signed, well packed and a nice vinyl color. If you’re in doubt of getting this….. don’t hestitate !!!

9. DIDIER GAULT says:

Dear Paul,
    Do you know if EDSEL will re-issue or not the box set The CBS Singles Collection 1982-1994 ?
    I was unable to buy it unfortunately in last January 2019.

10. RichardB says:

Actually, Paul – speaking of the table here:

You aren’t by any chance able to identify the version of ‘Love of the Common People’ on the 25th CD release that I’ve labelled “Unidentified edit”??

11. David Bly says:

As others are, I am very much looking forward to this as I’ve been a longtime fan ever since Elvis Costello ‘told’ me about Paul Young.

That is to say I was in Providence, RI to see a show of EC & The Attractions and I had gone into a record shop to look around.
    Elvis was being a DJ on a local university radio station, and he played some PY tracks. At the time the album had not been released in the US, upon getting home I ordered the UK LP, and have loved Paul Young ever since.

Thanks you Paul & Paul (and others) for making this possible!

12. AndyB says:

Wherever Paul Sinclair Lays His Latex Glove…

13. Peter says:

Great to see these photo’s from the signing!! Much appreciated !!

14. Gareth Jones says:

Hats off (wherever he lays it) to Paul (and Paul!). I’m not famous, but I certainly don’t think I could spend an hour writing my signature 600 times. I’d probably end up bending the sleeves in my rush to get through them, then have to Iron Out the Rough Spots!

15. Peter says:

Paul, now I’m a bit concerned, are you 100% sure that the plastic sleeve the album is put back in, is the exact same that came with the album? I’d like to keep things original ;-)

16. Gökhan says:

Just found out about this comparison table on Wikipedia (while listening to “Behaviour”) …

The new vinyl has the shorter version of Come Back And Stay and Love Will Tear Us Apart. I would have preferred a replication of the original UK edition of course, but Sony must have supplied the master and given that they cocked up their own 25th anniversary edition, they clearly aren’t experts on their own catalogue.

• RichardB says:

I compiled that table! If anyone spots anything that needs correcting, please do.

17. Wayne C says:

One of the great first albums, already have it so many times on vinyl. Wonder what happened to the yellow and blue T shirt I bought at Leeds University when I saw him on the Original “No Parlez” tour?. Second concert I ever saw, probably 100s since then you never forget your first shows.
    Just found the ticket – Paul Young and The Royal Family – Refectory, Leeds University Union 25th October 1983 – £3.50!!. Those were the days for a 17 year old fan of the Q Tips!.

18. memoryboy says:

Ive been listening to “I’m Gonna Tear Your Playhouse Down” a lot on my phone lately. I especially love the (Special Extended Mix), what a banger of a Mix. Crash! Bam! Goes the pots and pans!

19. Stuart says:

It’s always nice to see people doing the signings, looking forward to receiving mine next week (hopefully).

Paul, were the albums re-sleeved before being sent out?

20. Eric says:

Yet another reason I find SDE indispensable.

21. John McCann says:

Paul young,a man that laugh’s in the face of double denim,,is that his jacket on the chair,1983 seems like only yesterday my mate had this album,i spent my pocket money on true,seems like a nice man, hope he plays Glasgow soon.

22. Aaron says:

I once walked passed Paul Young in Tower Records in Glasgow, think it was the mid 90s and he was an absolute unit! A giant of a man.

23. Matt P says:

Mine is in the post! Wonder if there will be a reissue (coloured vinyl) of The Secret Of Association.

24. Rich P says:

Can’t wait for mine to arrive. Now sold out by the looks of it too! Thanks to the two Pauls.

25. Liam Bastick says:

600 in an hour— that’s one every six seconds!? Your talents are wasted, Paul – you should be opening a trainer sweat shop using child labour with those skills :-)

26. Phil Wilson says:

As he’s not wearing a hat, does he live there now?

27. Paul M says:

Is he supporting Cher in Belfast as I’m going to see her there in November. Brilliant news if he is..

There was some clash and he didn’t get the Northern/Ireland dates… that was one of the things he mentioned when he was here. Unlucky.

28. AndreasL says:

Is ‘Secret of Association’ going next? What’s the source of the pressing, and more important than all, how does it sound?

29. Ronno says:

Paul Young RULES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. torchomatic says:

Surely, you could just pop into your local charity shop and get one for 50p?

31. Eamonn says:

600 signed? Hope he doesn’t have to play guitar at his concert tonight!

We did it in an hour. We had a slick operation with four people (myself included) in addition to Paul keeping the ‘production line’ going.

32. Michel Banen says:

Awesome job by the two Pauls :-) Looking forward to my copy which was already mailed out last week !!!

33. Robert Laversuch says:

Cool looking forward to my copy. Still one of the best debut efforts ever Imho. Thank you Paul for living your dream and allowing us to share in it.

34. John McCann says:

Guest list tonight then paul,same pic tomorrow only with cher,cheers,