Paul Young / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / CD+DVD set

Paul Young / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / CD+DVD set

CD+DVD package • First time videos on DVD outside the recent box set

Sony Music Japan are issuing a new Paul Young best of. Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection features 18 singles and will be of interest to fans as it includes a DVD of videos.

The CD+DVD set features a ‘blu-spec CD2’ audio disc (compatible with all CD players) coupled with a DVD of 18 videos. The CD apparently features all Young’s CBS singles issued in Japan.

Paul issued 19 CBS singles in the UK and of those, ‘Iron Out The Rough Spots’ and ‘Calling You’ are missing from this set, while ‘Come On In’ (a 1991 Japan-only single with Masayuki Suzuki) is added, giving a total of 18 songs. It will be interesting to see which versions are used here.

Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection sees Paul’s videos issued on DVD for the first time outside Edsel’s SDE-curated CBS Singles box set of January this year. This is great news for anyone who missed out on the box, which effectively went out of print on or around the release date in late January! Looking at the track listing, this DVD is identical to the one included in the box set (it doesn’t feature ‘Come On In’ for example) which I suspect means Sony have effectively just ripped/duplicated that very same DVD (but presumably with new menus and the like).

The DVD is now confirmed as NTSC all-region, so no concerns about compatibility.

Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection is released on 29 May in Japan and can be ordered via Amazon Japan or CD Japan. You can pay a bit more and just order from Amazon in the UK or other European stores, where the release date is 7 June 2019 (see widget, below).

Paul Young

Greatest Hits Japanese Singles Collection [CD+DVD] [Blu-spec CD2]

Disc: 1 (CD)
1. Love of the Common People
2. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home)
3. Come Back and Stay
15. Come on in
16. Now I Know What Made Otis Blue
17. Hope in a Hopeless World
18. It Will Be You

Disc: 2 (DVD)
1. Love of the Common People
2. Wherever I Lay My Hat (That’s My Home)
3. Come Back and Stay
13. Heaven Can Wait
14. Calling You
15. Don’t Dream It’s Over
16. Now I Know What Made Otis Blue
17. Hope in a Hopeless World
18. It Will Be You

30 responses to Paul Young / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / CD+DVD set

1. Pingback:Cyndi Lauper / Greatest Hits: Japanese Singles Collection / CD+DVD set | superdeluxeedition

2. Marcin says:

No “Both Sides, Now” with Moya Brennan – what a pity… and there was a video for that as well!

3. Chris says:

Does it contain single mixes or regular album versions?

4. Mathew Lauren says:

I was hoping for some 5.1-treatments to the PY catalogue. The vid-singles were a great opportunity – missed twice, now :(

5. David Roest says:

No need for this release since the Tomb Of Memories and The Singles Collection boxsets are complete and great value for money.

• Chris Squires says:

I guess the Japanese fans (and there are a lot of them) wouldn’t have found it easy to get hold of The Singles Collection in particular as it was quite limited. And that’s where the videos come into their own. So yes, no use for us in Europe but quite a nice thing if you are Japanese….

6. Neil says:

CD Japan obviously the cheapest at £19 but when you take into account the import duty you will be charged it’s not worth it.

7. Michael says:

I bought the blu spec Japan CD of Wham!’s Make It Big. I prefer the UK CD of same title it’s louder. I would not buy further titles in this format. The SHM cds from Japan I have of other titles are however are good quality.

8. MARK LEVY says:

Ordered!

9. Charlie says:

Hell Paul! Do you know what versions are they using for this compilation? I mean, short single or long 12″ mix versions? Do you have some additional information like the running time of the songs?

Thanks in advance!

Charlie

Someone posted a link to Tower Records Japan which has timings. It’s probably the same as ‘track 1’ one each of the CDs in the box, although you never know, I guess. Definitely not 12-inch mixes though.

• Charlie says:

Thanks a lot Paul, I really appreciate that from you. I feel the same way. I don’t think they are long versions because it is a single audio disc only with 18 tracks. I just visited Tower Records website via smartphone but, I didn’t see the running time of the songs. I’m going to try with my computer instead, maybe it is the cell phone version. All the best and good job!!!

10. Chris Squires says:

The picture directly above the Y on the sleeve shot is one I don’t recognise. Which sleeve is that? It just doesn’t look like Paul. Must be an early one.

A bit superfluous to anyone lucky enough to get their hands on the Edsel box.

11. Shane says:

I could have sworn Japan was Region 1

12. Andreas says:

“Every Time You Go Away” is Track 4.

13. Daneil says:

Tower Records lists this CD with track times, so that may help to identify some of the versions used: https://tower.jp/item/4886250/

14. gwynogue says:

It looks nice – but after the big singles box in January, this is not an essential purchase for me.

And speaking of the box, let me take this opportunity to give a (very late) thank you to Paul (Sinclair…as well as Young) for an amazing job. I pre-ordered it through the SDE Shop, it arrived in January (carefully packed, mint condition) but it didn’t get played until March (I buy CDs faster than I can listen to them, lol).

The lovely signed print was a cool bonus – I expected it to just be CD-sized and slipped into the box, I didn’t realise it would be A4 (I think) which was a wonderful surprise. I’m still trying to find a nice frame for it.

It is an absolutely awesome set, both sonically and visually, so many many thanks for all the hard work that went into curating, packaging and distributing it.

15. Ben in Colorado says:

Forgot to mention that the booklet is beautiful, with a lot of written content and photos of all the single sleeves, on that perfect Japanese paper, but it is ALL in Japanese.

16. Ben in Colorado says:

I have the Boz Scaggs edition of this series. The music is clear, crisp and sounds better than any other disc of his music that I have.

The DVD content is awful. The quality is horrid, and the sound is mono and unbalanced, and painful to listen to.

Don’t know if that is the case wit this set, but it could be.

• Ray says:

I feel your pain on the DVD! I wanted to see if others agreed. They look they bad Youtube rips and have annoying bars left/right of the image! The picture is fuzzy and just awful, i’d expect better quality from Sony and especially Japanese DVDs! I was so dissapointed i wanted to buy the other box set but i fear the DVD will be the same as this poor version. Can anyone confirm whether they are the same DVD?

17. Emilio Lafarga Giribets says:

Ordered mine several weeks ago along with Queen’s Live in Japan exclusive only-for-Japan bluray release (there are different editions of the title with a deluxe edition which includes ticket replicas) and also with the exclusive SHMCDs editions of 5 rare Rolling Stones albums such as Sucking in the seventies or Sticky fingers(Spanish cover).
    Strange no mention of these releases have appeared on SDE website YET.
    Greetings from Catalonia.