Pet Shop Boys / Inner Sanctum

Concert film of Royal Opera show • 2CD+Blu-ray+DVD package

The Pet Shop Boys will release Inner Sanctum in April, a four-disc package of their London Royal Opera live show which was staged in the summer of 2018.

The show was first presented back in 2016 and then reprised for four nights last summer as part of their Super tour. This concert film derives from two shows filmed on 27 and 28 July and is included on both blu-ray and DVD with the complete audio on two CDs

The video elements have a bonus feature of Pet Shop Boys Live at Rock in Rio, which was recorded on 17 September 2017 at the Brazilian festival.

This generous four-disc video/audio package is available for a little over £20 in the UK at the time of writing, which seems like great value.

Inner Sanctum is released on 15 April 2019.

Pet Shop Boys

Inner Sanctum Blu-ray+DVD+2CD

Inner Sanctum
Opportunities (Let’s Make Lots Of Money)
The Pop Kids
In The Night
Burn
Love Is A Bourgeois Construct
New York City Boy
Se A Vida É (That’s The Way Life Is)
Love Comes Quickly
Domino Dancing
Always On My Mind

Extras
Live at Rock in Rio

69 responses to Pet Shop Boys / Inner Sanctum

1. Milton says:

Will this be released on vinyl?

2. GeorgeJune says:

Great job boys

3. David Allardice says:

My Blu-ray will not play – my player says that the disc is not readable. Anyone else having this problem? Standard Sony Blu-ray player

4. Emilio Lafarga says:

Anybody knows why it’s not available on amazon.fr?

5. Daniel says:

No digital-only release though?
    Seriously. I can’t afford to put anything else on my selves anymore.
    An iTunes version would be more than welcome.

6. Gregory says:

Great release! The first ever PSB blu-ray at last, presented in a wonderful package. Even though the only disc I’m going to use is the blu-ray. Don’t really care for CD’s and have absolutely no use of a DVD in 2019 unless there is no other option available.

7. Jay says:

I just heard from Jof at Rough Trade: the discs are region-free!

8. Mark says:

When Is this going to be available on US Amazon?

9. bertielego says:

Great value for money!

Much better offer than “Pandemonium” was some years ago.
    This time, all tracks are available on CD.
    And it includes both a DVD and a BD.

Thank PSB!

10. Neil says:

I don’t get why people are moaning here by the inclusion of both Blu-ray and DVD as in most cases a 2CD set with separately either Blu-ray or DVD usually costs more than £20 whereas you are getting both formats for this price. Regarding the region coding for the Blu-ray it is very rare that a music release like this wouldn’t be all region.

11. richard says:

What is “The Enigma”?

12. negative1 says:

i’ll take any DVD from people that don’t want theirs.

i don’t care for bluray, and the format, and don’t bother
    unless that’s only format that some releases are on.

yes, I have a HD tv, but for most of these releases, they
    don’t need it.

later

13. Anthony H. says:

It seems to me that if the whereabouts of the negatives of “It Couldn’t Happen Here” are known and there is documentation that one of the copyright holders is holding it hostage, you would be able to use that information to have the police take the materials and put it in a neutral holding facility until they work it out. That is if the information that is being provided is correct. One doesn’t know but how childish and embarrassing if that’s true.

Between this and the Blonde Ambition Pioneer laserdisc fiasco, it’s another example of shoddy legal contracts that weren’t very forward-thinking.

14. Jan says:

Great price, great formats, and visually a brilliant show, I was there on the Saturday.

However, personally I hope they slow down on their ‘Greatest Hits’ shows and do a deep cut type performance or tour.

15. Realizationmusic says:

Rough trade do free postage over £50, so just order 3 ;)

16. Shelf says:

Assume there will be a US release with Region 1 Blu-Ray and NTSC DVD? The item isn’t listed on the PSB store yet.

17. Simon C says:

I would have preferred to have seen a release of the the 2017 concert from the Albert Hall, though I’m not sure if it was filmed.

18. Jay says:

Does anyone know whether the discs will be region-free? I contacted the manufacturer this morning and asked. I’ll keep you posted.

Amazon have them listed as such, but they’re not the most reliable source. Pretty sure they will be.

19. Kauwgompie says:

Great set, great price, which will get even lower after release. I’m wondering if the BR and DVD are in 5.1 surround. I’m assuming they are.

20. Joseph Molnar says:

Do we know if the BD is region free??

21. Goodwin says:

I wonder if the 2-CD set would ever be released as a stand-alone set.

• dominic says:

Pandemonium wasn’t, and if memory serves right PSB don’t tend to re-release stuff with less on, usually more.

22. David says:

Not usually a fan of live releases but such a great price and lovely looking package so have pre-ordered. Was at the Edinburgh show of the tour and it was excellent.

23. EDuardo says:

What about the sound in the br disc ? DTS MASTER AUDIO?

24. Gary Hunter says:

Ordered, great looking product at a very reasonable price, happy days :)

25. David Carter says:

Looks great, sadly I missed this tour but have pre ordered, a very reasonable price for whats on offer

26. mike says:

Looks as ever a well designed package at a good price. With the recent cinema showing of ‘It Couldn’t Happen Here’ in London, I wonder if that will be released this year too?

• I was at that screening and Jack Bond, the director, was determined for “ICHH” to get a DVD/Blu Ray release. However, the original prints, which were due to be scanned for this purpose, along with a ton of extra footage, were “highjacked” from the studio on Wardour Street and are currently being held to ransom by one of the copyright owners. It all sounds very strange, but Jack received a call from a guy who claims they are currently being held in a temperature-controlled environment at Abbey Road.

The problem is that, over the years, with companies going bust or being swallowed up in mergers, the ownership and copyrights have been split and are now in the hands of multiple interested parties, making a reissue somewhat difficult.

It seems that one of those parties pulled a fast one and conned the restoration studio into releasing the material, and now we have to wait and see.

Allegedly, according to Jack, even that screening last month could have ramifications on him personally, but he was defiant and told them to “bring it on!”. Watch this space, I guess?

The version they showed was a digital copy lifted from a Laserdisc version. It wasn’t the best quality, but it was great to see it on the big screen again :-)

27. Starjet55 says:

The economics of this are straightforward … it costs pennies to produce a DVD if the film is already set up for Blu-ray production. Making and selling them as separate products creates far more additional costs (2 x sets of packaging, half the production run on each meaning less efficient production etc)… so putting both in one box for £21 including CD works for supplier, artist and customer!

28. Dom says:

Attended concert last summer. Great show and venue, best sound I’ve ever experienced at a gig (not surprising given the venue I suppose). Beautiful packaging as well. The colourful visuals should look amazing on blu-ray

29. horslips says:

Thanks Paul, you hit the nail on the head when you said “generous”.

I like DVD/Blu-ray combos. Don’t have a Blu-ray drive on my PC, for instance. Don’t have my Blu-ray player connected to my sound system but my DVD player is. OK, I am a bit behind in the technology but it is fine for me because I don’t really watch TV – except, currently, news programmes on Brexit. I’m funny like that!

30. Martyn Alner says:

I was at the RoH on the Saturday and it was a fantastic show! Bizzarely I was sat in front of the Comedian Chris Addison so got a selfie with him at the end of the show!

Ordered! :)

• Neil Kelly says:

I was in front of David Walliams at Kraftwerk Royal Albert Hall and Jonathan Ross at Kraftwerk Tate Modern!

31. Klaus says:

Sorry Paul S., haven’t spotted your comment on DVD AND Blu-ray before i hit the “Send”-button for mine.

32. Ross Baker says:

Can’t help thinking it would make more sense to release separate DVD and BluRay releases. That would cut down on half the discs made, surely?

Also, is this the first PSB ‘main’ release (i.e. not a soundtrack, etc.) – not counting the numeric increments of Disco – to have a two word name?

33. Otto says:

Take notice overly priced delux edition producers. This is a concert on DVD and Blu-ray and CD and as an extra you get a whole other concert (Live at Rock in Rio) for less than 21 pound.
    Instant buy.

34. Joe says:

Amazing to see Pet Shop Boys can do Blu Ray, DVD and two cds for £20? While David Bowie Glastonbury 1 dvd and two cds for £35. Mr Bowie’s record company ripping us off again. :(

35. Chris Squires says:

It would seem to be production costs. It must be cheaper to create a one size fits all BD and DVD box, one set of printing, one set of logistics and so on than create two separate boxes. So ultimately it doesn’t affect the price it would be pretty much the same if it were just a 2CD + BD than if it were 2CD + DVD + BD.
    Plus of course, I have a BD player in my living room and attic and only a DVD in the bedroom so this one box will cover all bases….. economics, eh?

• Dave W says:

Never seen it that way before Chris but makes perfect sense. Thanks for pointing it out for people like me who were thinking blu ray AND DVD, what’s the point?

• Gareth Pugh says:

Chris has hit the nail on the head. Theses days it can be much simpler and less paid person-hours tonhsve to manufacture and keep track of one SKU (stock keeping unit, i.e. product variant) than have to adapt the packaging design, master artwork for printing and cutter guides, and manage supplies of two different ones. And yes, I’m sure this would be priced no cheaper if we got only one optical disc (DVD or BR) in the package so no-one’s really losing out here. They wouldn’t charge a fiver less for a version with just a DVD and no BR, these days.

36. BillyD says:

Long time listener, sadly never attended a concert. I do have have all of their video output to date.
    Looking forward to this.

37. Daryl says:

This is a genuine question; does anyone have any idea at all why DVD+Blu-ray combos get released? Surely you would only ever want one or the other?

• Klaus says:

@Daryl:

There are two reasons i can think of:

The first is that these sets appeal to literally every fanof the Artist, no matter if they own a DVD- or a Blu-Ray-player.
      The second is that some have a Blu-Ray-player at home or in the office but they can use the DVD when on the road travelling if their laptop or other mobile device only has a DVD-drive.

• Daryl says:

I understand. The thing is though, I don’t think most people would watch the concerts more than one (although the CDs obviously would be listened to on multiple occasions).
        I personally only ever tend to buy DVDs as DVD quality is more than good enough for my eyes, but I know A LOT of people who only ever buy Br. I just can’t actually imagine anyone actually wanting both.
        Hey-ho though! I guess as you say – it covers all bases.

• Klaus says:

Blu-ray ain’t just a visual thing, it also has the capacity for better and more audio than a DVD.
        Whether artists use that is entirely another question ;-)

38. Graham says:

Great that it’s on blu ray but why do you need blu ray & dvd? Have I understood that correctly?

Isn’t it obvious? To cater for both groups: those who only have DVD players and those who have blu-ray players.

• Daryl says:

I think he meant it’s more the idea of both that is puzzling! People buy one or the other – not both!

As Chris Squires says, it means they don’t have to create two products. £20 for a three-disc set is still fine, so I don’t see why anyone is bothered about an extra DVD that may or may not be useful.

• Mark says:

Fun fact, a Blu-ray player will also play DVDs. In the United States almost every movie released comes with both a Blu-ray and a DVD. You Britz must be behind the times.

39. Paul Spurgeon says:

Great value, superb concert too

40. Ian Hicks says:

I was in the Pit on the Friday night… It was a stunning gig… Sweaty just doesn’t describe it

• Peter Robertshaw says:

Unbelievably I just checked the PSB website to see if you got anything extra for purchasing from them… there are 2 purchase links – to Amazon and Rough Trade… and the RT link gives a price of £19.99!!!

• David S says:

Yes Peter, but while Amazon will provide free postage for a £20.99 item, Rough Trade will charge postage, whatever the amount, so Amazon works out cheaper.

• dominic says:

Ahh, but Rough Trade pay their fair share of taxes back into the UK economy, so is it worth that tiny bit extra to support a British based company that’s a non-hyper-global-behemoth.

“little bit of politics” said in a mid 80s Ben Elton style manner. ;-)

Do you remember when everyone said ‘at least HMV pay their taxes’ and it turned out they hadn’t paid any tax for at least four years thanks to Hilco’s ‘restructuring’…