Princess Goes To The Butterfly Museum: Debut album, Thanks for Coming

Michael C. Hall impresses as frontman of this new (wave) outfit

Princess Goes To The Butterfly Museum are a new band featuring vocalist, musician and actor Michael C. Hall (the lead in David Bowie and Enda Walsh’s Lazarus), drummer Peter Yanowitz and keyboardist Matt Katz-Bohen. Their debut album, Thanks For Coming will be released in March.

The band formed in 2019 and offer a very cool, stripped-down “synthesizer-and-drum attack” sound which evokes early 80s new wave. They’ve also made loads of videos and, given Michael C. Hall’s acting pedigree (Six Feet Under, Dexter etc.), these visuals really bring a compelling cinematic bleakness to the audio.

The new single is ‘Armageddon Suite’, which you can preview below.

With a new band, the only thing to do is to check out the music, so with that in mind have a look and listen to previously issued tracks including ‘Cruel World’ and ‘Eat an Eraser’.

SDE has had a sneak preview of the whole album and it’s very good. As well as the three songs mentioned above, other highlights on the 13-track album are the punky ‘Angela Peacock’, the dreamy ‘Airhead’ (which offers Bowie-esque vocal delivery with a mega synth-drenched chorus) and the semi-industrial ‘Sideways’. Great stuff.

Thanks For Coming will be released on vinyl and CD on 7 May 2021 (was 26 March) via Morpho Music.

Princess Goes To The Butterfly Museum

8. Eat an Eraser
  9. The Deeper Down
  10. Sideways
  11. Angela Peacock
  12. Airhead
  13. Tomorrows Screams

32 responses to Princess Goes To The Butterfly Museum: Debut album, Thanks for Coming

1. Trapdoor says:

Now put back to May, no doubt due to that damn pesky virus that’s ruining everything schedule wise!

2. CJ says:

Follow up to my previous post (wish I could edit). The tracks on YouTube that aren’t on the tracklisting for the album are from a 6-track EP that’s already available (download only, unfortunately). I’m actually breaking my no-download rule to get them.

3. Stuart too. says:

JPC Germany say that this is indeed “2 LPs”.

And there’s an indies only colored vinyl listed at Rough Trade and Bullmoose but nobody’s saying what that is exactly.

4. CJ says:

I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of finding more clips of the band on YouTube, and now I’m disappointed to see that not everything is on the album. I like “Come Talk to Me,” “Love American Style,” and “Ketamine.” In fact, it seems like there’s almost a second album worth of material posted on YouTube that isn’t included on this album. Maybe a deluxe edition?

5. Martin Farnworth says:

The hope maybe it becomes normalized as it’s repeated/heard and has helped get them noticed. Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark didn’t do them any harm although it was easily abbreviated

6. kook says:

Sounds great to me – I’ll definitely be picking this up at some point. I saw Hall’s impressive performance in ‘Lazarus’ and wondered at the time whether he might pursue any other musical avenues. Based on these tracks, I’m glad he has. Thanks for the tip!

7. thewildeyedboyfromfreecloud says:

Really looking forward to hearing this album.
    Michael C.Hall was superb in the London production of “Lazarus” and Matt Katz-Bohen has written some amazing songs for Blondie these past few years.

8. Dave says:

Cruel World is quite the banger, as the kids say. Good stuff, thank you Paul!

9. Steve W. says:

Silly band name but I’m interested by the band because of Hall’s work on the Lazarus soundtrack album which I really like.

10. Michael says:

When I first heard about this band with Michael C. Hall, I thought, “Okay, this is going to be embarrassing”. There had been more than a few movie actors (Keanu Reeves, Bruce Willis, Don Johnson, Russell Crowe, etc.) who tried their hand at a one-off recording career for such reasons as (1) wanting something to do during a lull in their acting career, (2) being under the illusion that they’re really, really talented at anything and everything they do, or (3) they need a side project because they’ve grown bored with just being rich, famous and spoiled.

Well, thank you, Paul, for placing some video song samples from Princess Goes to The Butterfly Museum in this posting. How wrong my opinion about Michael C. Hall was, as I’m more than surprised how amazing this band sounds! Michael C. Hall’s vocals channel the spirit of David Bowie, and the overall sound of the songs from this group is deliciously moody with an ethereal quality that’s a bit retro. I already pre-ordered “Thanks For Coming.”

• CJ says:

To be fair, Hall has proven he can sing in musical theater, otherwise I probably wouldn’t have even listened to this because I would have dismissed it for the same reasons you almost did. (You forgot JLo, speaking of actors who think they should have music careers and maybe should rethink that. LOL)

Off the top of my head, the only actor I can think of who didn’t have a proven track record in music who turned out to be pretty good is Jared Leto with Thirty Seconds to Mars, though they definitely don’t appeal to everyone.

I’d put Hall more in the same vein as John Barrowman or Sarah Brightman, where they worked in musical theater before they struck out on their own, and also happen to act in other things, though his music is further from the musical theater trappings than their work is (though Brightman did a couple great pop albums). I really like what I’m hearing here. Pre-ordering the album now.

• Klaus says:

@Michael:

Thanks for reminding me of the “Two-Off” recording career of Bruce Willis in the 1980s.
      Actually i’m just listening to one of his albums on Spotify and still quite like it.

Granted that he’s not the best singer in the world (not even close ;-)) but i believe him that he enjoys what he’s doing and he (or someone from his management) has chosen some great songs for him to cover.

Those not familiar with him as a singer:
      Think of something like The Blues Brothers (the records, not the film).

• Michael says:

Hi Klaus,

As crazy as it sounds, I actually met Bruce Willis in person at a fur and leather salon in Aspen, Colorado back in 1998. I was on holiday and wanted to purchase a ski jacket. Sorry, but I found Mr. Willis to be very conceited and a bit annoying. Because of that encounter, I have some discomfort watching movies he’s starred in, and certainly have no interest in listening to any album he recorded.

• Klaus says:

Hey Michael,

thanks for replying. That sounds like bad luck. I’m glad i haven’t met him and can still enjoy Die Hard, Harder, Hardest plus his vocal ambitions… ;-)

On another note, my sister once met Pierce Brosnan whilst on vacation in Menorca (small Spanish island) and found him to be a quite well-mannered cultivated gentleman.
          But he couldn’t sing if his life depended on it (Mamma Mia, anyone?).

11. Pete says:

It sounds exactly like I would have expected Dexter to sound like if he sang.

Unfortunately.

12. Stan Butler says:

At £33 for a vinyl LP, surely the album should have been called “Saw You Coming”

13. Pete says:

‘Q. Are We Not Men? A: We Are Dexter!’???

14. Stephen Pain says:

Wow. Am absolutely loving this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

15. Graeme says:

Really beginning to despair of the UK’s vinyl pricing…

How can double the US price be in any way acceptable?

It’s not double, it’s 50 percent higher, but that’s still very annoying.

• Different Time says:

It’s actually a few pence over double using today’s exchange rate!

Please explain how £33 is double £22. Because $30 is around £22 using today’s exchange rate (which is what the widget uses).

• Different Time says:

I never realised until now how your widget worked! I (incorrectly) assumed the £16.04 was $16.04.

Ah well, you learn something new every day :) All the prices on the widget are converted into whichever currency you select. GBP is the default.

16. SimonF says:

Definitely the most stupid band name I’ve come across in some time.