Richard and Linda Thompson / Hard Luck Stories 1972-1982 box set

8CD box set • Remastered albums • Unreleased material

This September Universal Music will issue Hard Luck Stories 1972 to 1982 a new Richard and Linda Thompson 8CD box set that features remastered versions of all six studio albums and previously unreleased recordings.

This career retrospective contains the three classic Island Records releases –‘I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight’, ‘Hokey Pokey’ and ‘Pour Down Like Silver’ – and the long out-of-print albums First Light and Sunnyvista (both new transfers from recently relocated masters) as well as their final album Shoot Out The Lights.

Hard Luck Stories contains 113 songs in total which 30 are previously unreleased. All the studio albums come with bonus tracks and there are ‘Early Years’ and live discs to complete the eight-CD collection.

The set was personally curated by Richard and Linda and compiled and mastered by Andrew Batt. It contains a 72-page hardcover book featuring brand new essays (by Patrick Humphries and Mick Houghton) and rare and previously unpublished photographs.

Hard Luck Stories (1972-1982) will be issued on 11 September 2020. The SDE shop will have an allocation and you can order using this link, or the button below (we are shipping to the USA).

Richard And Linda Thompson

Hard Luck Stories 1972 to 1982 - 8CD box set

CD 1 – SOMETIME IT HAPPENS – THE EARLY YEARS

01: Sweet Little Rock and Roller – The Bunch – Alt version ( 3:48 ) Previously Unreleased
02: The Locomotion – The Bunch from Rock On ( 3:02 )
03: My Girl In The Month of May – The Bunch from Rock On ( 2:13 )
04: When Will I Be Loved – duet with Sandy Denny ( 3:17 )
05: Amazon Queen ( 3:58 ) – Previously Unreleased
06: Shaky Nancy from Henry The Human Fly ( 3:28 )
07: The Angels Took My Racehorse Away from Henry The Human Fly ( 4:02 )
08: Embroidered Butterflies from Brian Patten’s ‘Vanishing Trick’ ( 3:17 )
09: After Frost from Brian Patten’s “Vanishing Trick” ( 1;57 )
10: Sometimes It Happens – Demo – from ‘Dreams Fly Away’ ( 2:06 )
11: Restless Boy – Demo – from ‘Give Me A Sad Song’  ( 4:17 )
12: The World Is A Beautiful Place from ‘ Give Me A Sad Song’ ( 3:30 )
13: Shady Lies – Live at London University College, 25/10/1972 ( 2:23 )
14: Napoleon’s Dream – Live at  London University College, 25/10/1972 ( 2:02 )

CD 2 – I WANT TO SEE THE BRIGHT LIGHTS TONIGHT – EXPANDED

01: When I Get To The Border ( 3:26 )
02: The Calvary Cross ( 3:52 )
03: Withered and Died ( 3:25 )
04: I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight ( 3:08 )
05: Down Where The Drunkards Roll ( 4:06 )
06: We Sing Hallelujah ( 2:51 )
07: Has He Got A Friend For Me ?  ( 3:33 )
08: The Little Beggar Girl ( 3:25 )
09: The End Of The Rainbow ( 3:56 )
10: The Great Valerio  ( 5:23 )

Bonus Tracks

11: Mother and Son ( 2:21 ) – Previously Unreleased
12: Down Where The Drunkards Roll – Take 1 ( 4:04 ) – Previously Unreleased
13: The End Of The Rainbow – Linda Thompson vocal version ( 3:57 )  – Previously Unreleased
14: A Heart Needs A Home – Demo version ( 3:58 )  – Previously Unreleased
15: The Great Valerio from Live at the Rainbow 16/03/1975 ( 5:16 )

CD 3 – HOKEY POKEY – EXPANDED

01: Hokey Pokey Song (The Ice Cream Song)  ( 3:22 )
02: I’ll Regret It All In The Morning  ( 3:36 )
03: Smiffy’s Glass Eye ( 2:53 )
04: Egypt Room ( 3:52 )
05: Never Again ( 3:08 )
06: Georgie On A Spree ( 3:40 )
07: Old Man Inside A Young Man  ( 4:26 )
08: The Sun Never Shines On The Poor  ( 3:41 )
09: A Heart Needs A Home ( 3:47 )
10: Mole In A Hole ( 3:26 )

Bonus Tracks

11: Hokey Pokey – Live on Marc Time – 1975 ( 3:13 ) – Previously Unreleased
12: A Heart Needs A Home – Alternate 1976 version ( 4:03 )

CD 4 – POUR DOWN LIKE SILVER – EXPANDED

01: Streets of Paradise  ( 4:17 )
02: For Shame Of Doing Wrong ( 4:43 )
03: The Poor Boy Is Taken Away ( 3:34 )
04: Night Comes In ( 8:11 )
05: Jet Plane In A Rocking Chair ( 2:49 )
06: Beat The Retreat ( 5:52 )
07: Hard Luck Stories  ( 3:51 )
08: Dimming Of The Day / Dargai  ( 3:52 )

Bonus Tracks

09: Wanted Man ( 5:35 )  – Previously Unreleased
10: Last Chance – Previously Unreleased ( 3:42 )
11: Diming Of The Day – Demo version ( 3:52 )   – Previously Unreleased
12: Things You Gave Me – Live at Oxford Polytechnic, 27/11/1975  ( 2:35 )
13: It’ll Be Me – Live at Oxford Polytechnic, 27/11/1975  ( 4:24 )
14: Calvary Cross – Live at Oxford Polytechnic, 27/11/1975 ( 13:24 )

CD 5 – THE MADNESS OF LOVE – LIVE – * Previously Unreleased

01: Dargai – Live at Queen Elizabeth Hall 25/04/1975  ( 3:33) *
02: Never Again -Live at Queen Elizabeth Hall 25/04/1975 ( 3:07) *
03: Dark End Of The Street – Live at Queen Elizabeth Hall 25/04/1975 remixed ( 4:19) *
04: Beat The Retreat – Live at Queen Elizabeth Hall 25/04/1975] remixed ( 6:24) *
05: The Sun Never Shines On The Poor – Live at Queen Elizabeth Hall 25/04/1975 ( 3:48)*
06: If I Were A Woman and You Were A Man  – Theatre Royal, London, 01/05 1977 (2:54)*
07: The Madness of Love – Live, Theatre Royal, London, 01/05 1977 ( 7:00 ) *
08: Night Comes In (Linda vocal) – Live, Theatre Royal, London, 01/05 1977 ( 12:53 ) *
09: A Bird In Gods Garden – Live, Theatre Royal, London, 01/05 1977  ( 9:33 ) *
10: The King of Love – Live, Theatre Royal, London, 01/05 1977  ( 6:55 ) *
11: Layla – Live, Theatre Royal, London, 01/05 1977 ( 8:48 ) *

CD 6 – FIRST LIGHT – EXPANDED

01: Restless Highway ( 3:58 )
02: Sweet Surrender ( 4:53 )
03: Don’t Let A Thief Steal Into Your Heart  ( 4:43 )
04: The Choice Wife ( 2:06 )
05: Died For Love ( 7:01 )
06: Strange Affair  ( 3:08 )
07: Layla ( 4:22 )
08: Pavane ( 5:07 )
09: House of Cards ( 3:30 )
10: First Light ( 4:22 )

Bonus Tracks

11: Strange Affair – Demo version ( 4:09 )  – Previously Unreleased
12: Drunk – Demo version ( 2:14 ) – Previously Unreleased
13: The Dust Of Your Road – Demo version ( 2:33 )   – Previously Unreleased
14: Layla – Demo version ( 4:38 )  – Previously Unreleased
15: Died For Love – Demo version ( 4:47 )  – Previously Unreleased
16: First Light – Demo version  ( 4:03 )

CD 7 – SUNNYVISTA – EXPANDED

01: Civilization ( 5:01 )
02: Borrowed Time ( 5:34 )
03: Saturday Rolling Around  ( 3:24 )
04: You’re Going To Need Somebody  ( 3:47 )
05: Why Do You Turn Your Back ? ( 5:09 )
06: Sunnyvista ( 4:24 )
07: Lonely Hearts ( 5:05 )
08: Sisters ( 4:47 )
09: Justice In The Streets  ( 4:00 )
10: Traces Of My Love ( 4:05 )

Bonus Tracks

11: Georgie On A Spree – 7” single version ( 3:28 )
12: Lucky In Life – Demo version ( 2:42 ) – Previously Unreleased
13: Speechless Child – Demo version ( 4:17 ) – Previously Unreleased
14: Traces of My Love – Demo version ( 4:13 )  – Previously Unreleased
15: For Shame Of Doing Wrong [Gerry Rafferty version] ( 4:16 )
16: The Wrong Heartbeat [Gerry Rafferty version] ( 3:09 )
17: Back Street Slide (Gerry Rafferty session, 1996 remix)  ( 4:27 )

CD 8 – SHOOT OUT THE LIGHTS – EXPANDED

01: Don’t Renege On Our Love ( 4:17 )
02: Walking On A Wire ( 5:26 )
03: A Man In Need ( 3:34 )
04: Just The Motion ( 6:17 )
05: Shoot Out The Lights  ( 5:22 )
06: Back Street Slide ( 4:31 )
07: Did She Jump Or Was She Pushed ? ( 4:49 )
08: Wall of Death ( 3:43 )

Bonus Tracks

09: Living In Luxury – 7” single version ( 2:32 )
10: The Wrong Heartbeat – Shoot Out The Lights version ( 3:20 )  – Previously Unreleased
11: I’m A Dreamer – Gerry Rafferty session – 1996 remix ( 4:09 )
12: Walking On A Wire – Gerry Rafferty session – 1996 remix ( 5:12 )
13: Pavanne – Live, 2nd Story, Bloomington, Indiana 29/5/1982 ( 5:38 ) – Previously Unreleased
14: High School Confidential – Live, 2nd Story, Bloomington, Indiana 29/5/1982 ( 4:29 )  – Previously Unreleased

83 responses to Richard and Linda Thompson / Hard Luck Stories 1972-1982 box set

1. Paul Kovit says:

This is quite exciting. For one thing I was told the First Light and Sunnyvista masters were lost. Here’s a question for Andrew Batt. What are the sources for the 1977 Theatre Royal material? I know some of it was recorded and broadcast by Capital Radio.

Thanks for putting this together.

2. Robert G says:

Why not the complete Rafferty sessions??

3. Dave Hughes says:

I believe the Rafferty SOTL recordings are still easily accessed via bootlegs…

4. Tom says:

JPC shipping to the US – Is that a fairly new development?
    My recollection is that Paul used to post a statement saying that JPC orders were only available in the EU and UK…? Plus I thought I saw a disclaimer on their site a while back, about it. Am I wrong on that?

5. Lee Blackstone says:

Still no Amazon US listing? The box set has been listed on Amazon UK for days…

6. Andy Johnson says:

Anyone know if the discs will be issued separately at some point?

• CJ Feeney says:

Well the first three original albums (Bright lights, Hokey Pokey, Pour Down) are released on vinyl the same day as this box, presumably with the new mastering. No idea if the other three will get issued.

As for the bonus material, I’m still woring out what stuff I already have. It would be the third time I’ve bought that performance of “Dark End of the Street” (track 3, disc 5).

If the remastering is really good, I’ll upgrade but I’m still not 100% sure on this.

7. Bongo Fury says:

right now € 18,99 at amazon.nl

• John Rea says:

Hello Bongo! A brilliant find! Unfortunately I can’t find anyway to translate into English and I am wary of finding that I have signed up to prime…

Good man!

• Klaus says:

@Bongo Fury:

Brilliant find indeed (and also quite obvious a pricing mistake) but only for those who live in the Netherlands and Belgium (or have family or friends there) because amazon.nl only delivers this to these two countries.

@Kauwgompie:

If you read this in time when the price is still on this level and you order it to your parents adress could you order one for me too?

• John says:

I see that it is now a very reasonable 30.22 on the Amazon.nl site .Now with the September release date..

Ah well!

• Phil says:

Shows release date as 31/12/20 for some reason… Tried to order anyway but won’t let me ship to UK. Really can’t imagine they’d honour that price though.

• Pablo says:

Thanks for flagging the Amazon.nl deal it will not ship to Spain so I am maintaining my french order. Let us know if they honour this price as it appears to be a mistake on their side. Cheers

8. jason says:

Anyone know why there’s no Amazon US listing yet? Will this not be released in the US?

9. Andy says:

Great news, I’m really looking forward to this release! :-)
    Are the lyrics included in the book, too?

10. Flint says:

Looks to be a very satisfying addition. Having several of Mr. Batt’s previous projects I know this will sound great. Especially looking forward to the 2 tracks from Bloomington, IN in May 1982. Our second R&L show. (The first being the night before at Tut’s in Chicago.) Two sleepless nights in a row! No problem. Our adrenaline was pumping on high. So glad we got to see them, not knowing it was the lest time. Simon, DM and Pete backing. Ah well. Always glad to see some new tracks pop up. Even with our 1980’s tape trading network there’s still a lot of unheard tracks here. Thanks for doing this.

11. Pablo says:

Hi. This set looks superb, looking forward to it thanks for bringing this up. I also have the Bobby Gentry, Fotheringay and Sandy Denny sets and they have great sound to my ears. Just bought this from amazon France 71,87€ plus shipping, maybe you could include this one also in the widget? Thanks

12. Wayne Klein says:

I will end up buying it as I am a hardcore R&L fan having said that, I had kind of wished for a DVD compiling all of their TV appearances. I would have liked for an official release of theRaferty sessi0ns in this set but Richard and Linda have never held it in really high regard.

Andrew did a great job with his previous releases so I’m in.

13. Robert Lett says:

Not sure if they are signed but……comes with the litho at least available at UDiscover site.

14. XAVIER says:

NO original art covers? I repeat, disappointing if not …

15. David Olstein says:

I’ve ordered this, so I guess I have the right to gripe a bit. Personally, I’m disappointed that we didn’t get any new Rafferty material. But that can be remedied with a 40th anniversary Shoot Out the Lights SDE. I also wish that for the bonus material, they had focused on studio outtakes and demos. They could have saved the live material for a separate box. But again, they could still release a live box containing complete concerts that were excerpted on this set.

• Mister Stick says:

In the ’33 1/3′ book series, Hayden Childs wrote the volume on Shoot Out The Lights. A good read, though he overdoes it on comparing the Gerry Rafferty recordings to the version that was eventually released.

Each track on the Joe Boyd-produced version is scrutinized against the rejected recordings, with the same conclusion each time. Childs steps all over all of Rafferty’s productions, almost as if that was the point of the book. He uses the exclamation point that Richard walked away from the sessions completely disappointed with everything, and with no regard for Rafferty at all. Just a guess – but Gerry was a hard drinker and you can imagine that posing an obstacle to working with Sufis.

Had Rafferty found a label to buy the masters (he paid for the sessions himself), it’s pretty clear that promotion would likely have been a fiasco. I don’t think we would hold the album in as high a regard if Joe Boyd hadn’t saved the day. All that being the case, since Richard and Linda are curators for this new set it’s not surprising to see most of the Rafferty stuff left on the floor, is it? The versions on disc 7 and the remixes on disc 8 are more of an acquiescence by Richard than I expected to see.

That aside, very much looking forward to this release. It’s just a crime that aren’t more live recordings from the first part of the ’82 tour. According to Childs, the early shows were all blazing, and the word got to Boyd, who caught up to the Thompsons ready to record a live album. But by the time he arrived, Richard and Linda had apparently fallen out for good and the following shows were a wreck.

Thanks, Paul.

• Andrew Batt says:

Hi David, Andrew the compiler here. Releasing the Rafferty material in it’s entirety was not an option- that will never happen: Everything on this set was personally approved by Richard and Linda. As to outtakes, i used everything that was possible- i think you should be looking at this another way, which is that after several RT boxes and the Island remasters, i think it incredible i was able to locate any new songs at all! I also specifically wanted a live disc included in this set.

• Gus Mozart says:

Hi Andrew – Unfortunately, many fans won’t be satisfied, no matter what you do as a producer or compiler. There are so many variables, and details involved that the average person doesn’t take into consideration. Just looking at the track listings, I can see that you’ve put a lot of effort into finding things that will surprise listeners. I’m a longtime fan of Richard & Linda and have my fair share of bootlegs and unreleased recordings, but I’ve never even heard of songs like “Wanted Man” or “Drunk”. A full disc of live material from 1974 and 1977? Likewise, two tracks from Bloomington in 1982? All the demos and alternates? It’s an embarrassment of riches, and I can’t wait to hear it all. I was lucky to purchase the Sandy box when it was released, and it was meticulously done, so I have no doubt that this will be of the same caliber. Also, Linda has swooned over it on Fb, which is a good indication of it’s quality. Thank you for all of your efforts over the past decade or so. It’s very much appreciated.

16. Chris says:

Can anyone here speak to any previous mastering jobs from Andrew Batt?

I’ve previously bought more than one copy of some of these albums because at first I wasn’t quite happy with the mastering, only to find that the replacement I purchased was much worse. I’d love to have a sense that this is going to be an improvement.

• Tim Abbott says:

He did the enormous Sandy Denny box, and the Fairport Come All Ye box set, as well as the recent Bobbie Gentry set, so he’s familiar with the genre and material, and I don’t recall any complaints about his work with those releases.

• Philip J Birtwistle says:

Here is a list of some of his work:

Richard and Linda Thompson ‘Hard Luck Stories – 1972-1982’ 8CD boxset
      Bobbie Gentry ‘The Delta Sweete’ 2CD and 2LP deluxe edition
      Bobbie Gentry ‘The Girl from Chickasaw County’ 8CD boxset (Grammy nominated)
      Bobbie Gentry ‘Live At The BBC’ LP
      Fairport Convention ‘A Tree With Roots: The songs of Bob Dylan’
      Fairport Convention ‘Come All Ye – The First 10 years’ 7CD Boxset
      Sandy Denny ‘I’ve Always Kept A Unicorn: The Acoustic Sandy Denny’ 2x CD and 2x Vinyl
      Fotheringay ‘Bruton Town / The Way I Feel’ [Record Store Day 7″]
      Fotheringay ‘Nothing More: The Collected Fotheringay’ [4cd boxset]
      Fairport Convention ‘Rising for the Moon’ [Deluxe Edition]
      Marianne Faithfull ‘Broken English’ [Deluxe Edition]
      Nico ‘The End…’ [Re-presents edition]
      Sandy Denny ‘The Notes and the Words’ [4cd boxset]
      Sandy Denny ‘The North Star Grassman and the Ravens’ [Deluxe Edition]
      Sandy Denny ‘Sandy’ [Deluxe Edition]
      Sandy Denny ‘Like An Old Fashioned Waltz’ [Deluxe Edition]
      Sandy Denny ‘Rendezvous’ [Deluxe Edition]
      Sandy Denny [19cd boxset]
      Marianne Faithfull ‘Live at the BBC’
      Fairport Convention ‘Live at the BBC’ [1cd highlights edition]
      Sandy Denny ‘Live at the BBC’ [4cd Boxset and 1cd highlights edition]

• Andrew Batt says:

Hi Chris, Andrew the compiler/masterer here. I believe I have improved the sound over previous cd releases. Hope you agree!

17. Dennis YARDLEY says:

Once again a great deal – £70 for 8 discs……..someone should tell Macca!!!!

18. Michel says:

This is great! One question: did Richard Thompson authorize this one? Not a word of this box set on his site…..

19. Ricardo Perfecto says:

HUUUUGE fan. Can’t wait to order this if/when it shows up on Amazon Aus or US (I’m in Aus).
    Won’t preorder with JPC as they need up-front payment and I have had service issues before in any case. Paul I love your site and would love to support the SDE Shop but can’t afford the freight-totally understood as a small business you can’t amortise shipping costs overall and get deep discounts.

Thanks for the consideration. The international shipping costs might come down when we get proper confirmation of the weight of this item.

• Alan Blevin says:

Just an alternate view.I have used JPC quite a bit since the Amazon geoblock.They haven’t taken payment until they ship the product to me and I have found their service and packaging fantastic.
      Amazon.com have stopped shipping cds to Australia and you have as much chance of Australian Amazon stocking this as you have of hitchhiking to Mars.Maybe try Importscd.com if you don’t want to use JPC.

20. Shame it does not include the complete Gerry Rafferty sessions.

• Andrew Batt says:

Andrew the compiler here. That was not an option i’m afraid, and will never happen. Richard and Linda signed of on every track.

21. John Bobo Bollenberg says:

any chance of signed copies?

22. David Tomlinson says:

Linda Thompson is on FB and she was hinting about this. Is it true that some copies will be signed?

• Guy.S says:

They had a signed version (50 copies) at record store.co.uk at about 4pm yesterday, theses went pretty much straight away, don’t know if that is the only place that will have a signed version.

23. John Orr says:

I know it’s a different topic, but just to say thanks again Paul, for the Tin Machine and Bob Dylan (olive green) records. Superbly packaged once more!

24. Alan Blevin says:

Spectacular.Put together by the same people that did the Bobbie Gentry box which should tell you everything you need to know about audio and packaging quality.

25. Mike M says:

Looks decent this.

26. CJ Feeney says:

I’ve been doing a “future stocktake” of my pre orders this week and realised the last week of September could put me in the red! And this is two weeks before. I guess it’s less likely to sell out on presales than some big releases, but do I want to take that risk?

27. James says:

Wow! This is an instant buy for me, because I know Richard Thompson’s later solo work, but only have one of the Richard & Linda albums.

• AndyB says:

You are in for a treat! Some of the best music of all time (with the exceptions of Sunnyvista and First Light which are still good, imho.) It should be mentioned that Richard Thompson very recently released a new digital only EP, “Bloody Noses,” which is quite good!

28. David Binder says:

Wow! I’m an RT (and RT & LT) freak, and have all of the studio albums, including the last batch of Island Remasters and the Rhino Handmade of Shoot Out the Lights (plus that album on SACD). But to get 2020 sonic upgrades, and enough bonus material I didn’t already have make this a must-get. Even though I’m in Canada and hope it’ll get announced at Amazon.ca at a reasonable price (not likely), I’ve preordered at Amazon UK now, since JPC.de is still not shipping to Canada.

Only question, Paul: is there going to be a booklet that has, along with detailed track and personnel credits, an essay about this seminal period in RT’s career?

Can’t wait for September!!

• Andrew Batt says:

Hi David, Andrew the compiler here. There is a large hardback book included with outtakes from all the album cover sessions, new sleevenotes by Patrick Humphries and Mick Houghton, and yes musician credits for all the recordings. Enjoy!

29. Mike T says:

Will this be available stateside – via Amazon.com?

• AndyB says:

Available at uDiscover Music Store for just under $100. It will probably show up at Amazon in the near future. Fingers crossed!

• jason says:

Here’s hoping! I don’t love amazon, but they won’t charge me until the item is shipped. Between that the and certain price difference, using uDiscover can’t make sense for me.

30. MSP says:

Looks to be a fantastic box set! Would have wanted Henry the Human Fly included as well, even though it’s not strictly a Richard and Linda album. Also interesting that the bonus tracks from the Island 2004 reissues of the first three albums are not included. Would like to know why.

• David Binder says:

I suspect the bonus tracks from the 2004 remasters are not included so folks who already have them (like me) won’t feel totally ripped off by having to buy everything again. That said, I’d still buy the box if they included them, and then I’d hand off my old remasters (assuming the new ones sound better, of course!) to a friend in need.

• David Olstein says:

I’m pretty sure there’s still enough room to accomodate the Island reissue bonus tracks. It’s a shame they didn’t include those too. I have the Island reissues, so it’s no big loss for me, but it would have been notice to have everything in one place.

• Andrew Batt says:

Hi David, Andrew the compiler here. I didn’t include them, as i wanted to avoid repetition unless the quality of the earlier bonus track was very high. This boxset is not aiming to be ‘complete’ it was compiled to represent all the albums and supplement them with the cream of the bonus material available, either previously released or unreleased; and with Richard and Linda signing of on each track, this represents an approved overview of their career.

• Andrew Batt says:

Hi MSP, Andrew the compiler here. Those 2004 tracks were not included because I wanted to avoid repetition unless the quality of the earlier bonus track was very high.

• MSP says:

OK, thanks for the response Andrew. Great to see your comments in this thread, and thanks for all of your hard work in putting this box set together!

31. Rashers says:

wow and old fashioned CD box set for a reasonable price. Looks fabulous – must buy!

32. Tom says:

Would have loved to see the two concerts included from the Old Ash Tree in Kent in 1973 that have been circulating lately – a great snapshot of the live shows from R&L from that time and one when Simon Nicol joined them. But an official MADNESS OF LOVE will do for now…

• Colin Harper says:

I passed WAVs of those concerts (from reels I inherited) to Andrew recently when I heard about this set, but it was too late. Perhaps another time.

33. Bill says:

Excellent news. I have CDs of Sunnyvista and First Light which are long out of print andhappy to see them replaced. But no Dragging The River. :(

• Andrew Batt says:

Hi Bill, Andrew the compiler here. that song was earmarked for inclusion but due to a rights issue we couldn’t include it. The sound on First Light and Sunnyvista i feel is a big improvement from the earlier CD issues

34. Andrew Baker says:

I was lucky and got one of the 50 signed copies which were available elsewhere – they all went exceedingly quickly. Two of these albums have been next to impossible to get hold of on CD for ages and went for really high prices when they cropped up on eBay. Shoot Out the Lights is up there with Blood on the Tracks and Rumours in terms of breakup albums.

• Paul Thomson says:

Andrew, how do you know you got a signed copy? Does it tell you on the receipt? I bought two copies (one for me, another for my brothers birthday (or Christmas ). Would love if they were signed but it does not say they are. Cheers.

• David Tomlinson says:

Where was that available. Linda is on FB and was alluding to signing some copies.

• David Bly says:

Andrew Baker

I was quite late on that, even as I got the e-mail. But the COVID-19 has meant I tend to get up much later than I used to, as I rarely go out anymore.
      The e-mail came at 10:12 AM (Eastern time in the US), but I didn’t see it until 1:50 PM. I tried to look elsewhere, but it was only another Universal site that had it, and it was the same situation – all gone.
      But I did order from Universal cause they had 250 copies with an unsigned print, only available through them.

I am VERY annoyed I was not up in time, and I think I have to hope that someone on eBay will eventually have a copy to sell.

A friend did not understand, thinking I could get it autographed later, but as far as I know, Linda does not tour anymore. As it is, it’s hard to get Richard to sign things these days (although I have in the past, I did not succeed the last 2 times I saw him), but the real impossible get will be Linda.

• Mike M says:

300 copies come with an exclusive litho print, the first 50 of which were signed. Signed lithos went in minutes.

50 signed is ridiculous. Why bother with such a low number.

• David Olstein says:

Agreed. The probably should have just offered 300 copies with lithographs, with the 50 signed copies ramdomly included. Or they could have auctioned off the 50 signed copies for charity.

35. Danny says: