The Rolling Stones / Japanese SHM-CD ‘From the Vault’ live releases

Two CD sets of LA Forum in 1975 and Hampton Coliseum in 1981

Two Rolling Stones ‘From The Vault’ releases originally released in 2014 will be issued on the SHM-CD format in Japan next month and are presented in vinyl replica ‘paper sleeve’ packaging.

LA Forum: Live in 1975 and Hampton Coliseum: Live in 1981 are the two releases. These were originally issued in CD/video combo packs and on vinyl and so this will be the first time they are available as standalone CD editions. The presentation faithfully replicates the vinyl editions issued six years ago and these come with a booklet with lyrics in both English and Japanese.

Interestingly, there are two versions of LA Forum being issued; one with Bob Clearmoutain’s 2014 mix and the other with a new mix. Quite why a new mix has been created is not clear, but at least the choice is available.

These are available in the UK but are cheaper if you order from Japan. They are released on 29 July 2020, although UK orders mean waiting until 7 August.

Rolling Stones

7 You Gotta Move
8 You Can’t Always Get What You Want
9 Happy
10 Tumbling Dice
11 It’s Only Rock ‘n’ Roll
12 Band Intros
14 Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

SHM-CD 2

15 Fingerprint File
16 Angie
17 Wild Horses
18 That’s Life
19 Outa-Space
20 Brown Sugar
21 Midnight Rambler
22 Rip This Joint
23 Street Fighting Man
24 Jumpin’ Jack Flash
25 Sympathy For The Devil

14 responses to The Rolling Stones / Japanese SHM-CD ‘From the Vault’ live releases

1. Robert says:

Another lost chance – they could have released CD versions of the shows only available on the long gone download archive store. Brussels, LA Friday, Toronto

• Shane says:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but, isn’t L.A. Forum just the L.A. Friday release with a different “F” word?

2. bruce kelso says:

I just don’t get it, re releasing whats already been released. theres so much in the vaults that they could do much better than this, but for some unkown reason they are insulting their hardcore fans . no need for this at all.

3. Gus Campbell says:

It’s not working on chrome either. It seems the comments block is outside the main block, unlike other pages.

4. KevinK says:

Seems to be a layout problem with this article (on PC at least) as the SDE Deal Alert and SDE Socials are coming up at the bottom rather than on the right, after the Comment section – and this is probably what’s making the comments appear light blue on grey and hard to read.

5. David Fisher says:

I’m assuming Hampton has not been remixed? I’ve got all the paper sleeve original Stones catalogue which is a thing of wonder but don’t really see the point of a vinyl replica of something released so recently in this particular format to downgrade my original CD/DVD set by removing the DVD. I’ve got the real vinyl issue of it anyway. each to their own. What I want is more vault releases please!

6. Perry Lewis says:

[Can’t see the friggen comments with Chromium Edge & Firefox.]
    Outside of the huge fans or the fewer SHM-CD fans, I really can’t see why anyone would want these or 2 different mixes.
    If someone was unhappy with thew stereo mix, how come no re-release of the vinyl or video releases.

7. HE1NZ says:

Can they dug out some studio stuff from the vault?

8. Peter Buijsman says:

Is this the LA Forum version (12 july 1975) ot the LA Fryday version (13-july 1975)?

• KevinK says:

It seems it’s the July 13th set – i.e. the same as on the original 2014 Vault release CDs. I don’t know why that needs a new mix though.
      (The original 2014 Vault release DVD set is generally thought to have been recorded on July 11th – but was stated as July 12th on the release.)

9. Andy says:

48 squid for a double CD? Ahem!

It is effectively an ‘import’. I paid £23 for one import CD from Tower Records in the early 1990s.