Rory Gallagher / Check Shirt Wizard: Live in ’77 / 2CD or 3LP sets

Previously unreleased live performances • Newly mixed

A new live set from the late Irish blues guitarist and songwriter Rory Gallagher is on the way in March. Check Shirt Wizard: Live in ’77 is culled from four shows (London, Brighton, Sheffield and Newcastle) and features 20 previously unreleased live performances.

Gallagher was on tour in support of his latest album Calling Card and the the performances feature live versions of tracks from that album as well as 1975’s Against The Grain and others.

The original performances were recorded to multi-track tape allowing this release to be newly mixed and mastered at Abbey Road Studios.

The distinctive cover painting used for the cover of Check Shirt Wizard is by a young Irish graffiti artist Vincent Zara who has stencilled Rory’s image across his home country. This is being released as a 2CD set or a well-priced triple vinyl package.

Check Shirt Wizard: Live in ’77 will be released on 6 March 2020.

Rory Gallagher

Check Shirt Wizard - 3LP vinyl

Rory Gallagher

Check Shirt Wizard - 2CD set

Check Shirt Wizard: Live in ’77 2 CD set

CD 1

1. Do You Read Me (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
2. Moonchild (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
3. Bought And Sold (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
4. Calling Card (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
5. Secret Agent (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
6. Tattoo'd Lady (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
7. A Million Miles Away (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
8. I Take What I Want (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
9. Walk On Hot Coals (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

CD 2

1. Out On The Western Plain (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
2. Barley & Grape Rag (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
3. Pistol Slapper Blues (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
4. Too Much Alcohol (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
5. Going To My Hometown (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
6. Edged In Blue (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)
7. Jack-Knife Beat (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
8. Souped-Up Ford (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
9. Bullfrog Blues (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
10. Used To Be (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)
11. Country Mile (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

Check Shirt Wizard: Live in ’77 3LP vinyl edition

SIDE A

1. Do You Read Me (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
2. Moonchild (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
3. Bought And Sold (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)

SIDE B

4. Calling Card (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
5. Secret Agent (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
6. Tattoo’d Lady (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

SIDE C

7. A Million Miles Away (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
8. I Take What I Want (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
9. Walk On Hot Coals (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

SIDE D

10. Out On The Western Plain (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
11. Barley & Grape Rag (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
12. Pistol Slapper Blues (Live From Sheffield City Hall, 17th February 1977)
13. Too Much Alcohol (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
14. Going To My Hometown (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)

SIDE E

15. Edged In Blue (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)
16. Jack-Knife Beat (Live At The Hammersmith Odeon, 18th January 1977)
17. Souped-Up Ford (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)

SIDE F

18. Bullfrog Blues (Live From The Brighton Dome, 21st January 1977)
19. Used To Be (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)
20. Country Mile (Live At Newcastle City Hall, 18th February 1977)

31 responses to Rory Gallagher / Check Shirt Wizard: Live in ’77 / 2CD or 3LP sets

1. paul wren says:

A must buy item. As this features tracks lifted from a number of shows then hopefully those whole shows will receive (box set?) full releases in due course. You can’t have too much live Rory G.

2. bruce kelso says:

would love to see some 71 72 lives shows(s/t first lp/deuce) released on cd/lp.

3. Shaun says:

Ordered. At the time of the “Blues” release Rory’s brother was interviewed by Mono and intimated that there would be further archive releases of live material. My interpretation of this was that their may be box set(s) in the future. Considering how many soundboard bootleg recordings that are out there then the sky’s the limit.

4. Dean says:

I know we live in the age of streaming, but it’s a damn shame people are starting to think cover artwork and album titles don’t mean anything. What would Dark Side of the Moon be without that cover art? What would The Wall have been? How about the cover to Night at the Opera, of Abbey Road?!?

An album is a statement, and the art of the music is embellished and conceived as a whole with the artwork and packaging. It’s why music costs what it does. So sad to see so many people not understanding why these things are important.

• John McCann says:

The wall without the bricks ,would be identical to the beatles white album,

• David Bly says:

I have to both agree and disagree with you.

Indeed this is not a good cover, and if there was no name on the cover, I’d think it was a Roger Daltrey album as it looks way more like him. The title is just odd – of course many album titles are, but there you go.

But as for what would those albums be without the artwork we know? Well, they’d still be great albums. I think we fall into a trap of being used to something being the way it’s always been, and that that’s the way is HAS to be.

What about all the Spanish fans of the Stones’ “Sticky Fingers” who had the Andy Warhol cover replaced by one of some sticky fingers coming out of a can, due to government censorship of the original. Do they think any less about the album than others do?

The original UK release of Jimi Hendrix’ “Electric Ladyland” has a bunch of naked ladies on it (a cover that supposedly Jimi didn’t like), but did it cause UK fans to like it any less (and for what it’s worth, it relates more to the title that any other cover design has)?

And in some cases, the cover has become that star, rather than the music, and overtaking the music’s popularity. Point in case, The Beatles’ “Abbey Road”. I would wager that the vast majority of “fans” who now traverse the zebra crossing have never even heard the album, or know 2 or 3 songs at most.
      I’ll bet some of the local residents of that part of NW8 must be sick and tired of all the commotion going on on a daily basis. And it’s not even a better album than “The Beatles”, which has a much better cover.

These things can be very subjective, I suppose. But to think that a particular cover (and ONLY that cover) MUST be associated with particular music, denies the greatness of the music.

• John McCann says:

The commotion as you put it has been going on for 50 years mate, wealthy people who live there would have been well aware of the attraction to tourists before they laid down their millions to live their,,,its like people who buy a house near Heathrow airport and complain about the noise, airports been there for years you chose to live under its flight path, amen.if you are a Beatles fan and visited it then i think you would have heard the album in its entirety,most people with Ramones t shirts on the other hand couldn’t name one of their album’s

5. Marcelo Gobello says:

My God!! Is Rory Gallagher Live in 1977…what can be wrong? There’s no BAD Rory Live, nothing is enough!
    Keep on Coming…

• John McCann says:

If you you where to witness some of his last gigs,then I totally agree with you,,,nothing is enough,

• Hmtpilot says:

I saw him at Leeds Town and Country Club about 6 months before the end.
        Sadly he was ill and just going through the motions. The only time I ever saw Rory do a mediocre gig. Not bad just not great. Also no Gerry Mac or other regular band members.
        Apparently he was so terrible in the previous gig they almost booed him off! So the promoter got Dr Feelgood in as surprise support/warm up band for Leeds.
        I didn’t know at the time ( no internet of course) only found all this out years later.
        I hope they release the Sheffield 1977 show I was at that one too, he was bloody Brilliant back then.

6. DannyJ says:

the artwork doesn’t look THAT bad although to my eyes it doesn’t look like Rory. The title i think isn’t bad either. These things usually bother me a lot too. The New Hollywood Bowl beatles and the Live n loud nirvana releases were both poor attempts. At least this has some artistic merit to it. I mean it doesn’t look rushed whatever else you may think of it

7. Michael says:

To those who find complaints about the title and artwork, the title *may* be tongue in cheek because there is a Rory Gallagher bootleg out there with a similar title.
    If the title and artwork were superb, that would be no consolation if the music was complete pants.

However, the music is far from complete pants so the title and artwork mean nothing.

• John McCann says:

Yes Michael could be the opposite, fantastic artwork and a concert from the 90s which where complete pants,he should never have been allowed to take the stage on occasion,mate walked out of a gig at the Cambridge corn exchange heartbroken,rory was his hero as a kid and had seen him multiple times,but couldn’t watch him at that stage,upset him too much,,,i actually think the artwork is great, a bit Jackson Pollock,

8. J says:

Thank you to the estate of Rory for these posthumous releases. You release it and I will buy it. You can never have enough live Rory.

9. Mic Smith says:

Although Irish Tour ‘74 remains the definitive live album for Rory this should be a great addition to an already extensive live discography.

1977 was a great period for hearing Gallagher’s music on Radio 1, with 2 In Concert shows including a Sight ‘n’ Sound simulcast. Both were truly brilliant performances so I’m expecting great things here.

10. Mark McKendrick says:

Shame about the title…. but isn’t Donal in charge of that stuff, these days…?
    Anyways… I saw him a few times, the first being Dec 1971 at Lancaster University supporting his ‘Deuce’ elpee, and a few gigs down the line saw him a few shows in to this very tour on 28th January ’77 – again at Lancaster University – which I still count as one the very best gigs I ever witnessed – by anybody! He was burning. So… this is a must-purchase.

11. Ray says:

This is fantastic, I saw him on this tour in Manchester when he broke a string mid song, restrung his guitar without even stopping the song too do it. Walked back to the mike carried on playing with out missing a beat. I have ordered the Vinyl, I don’t know but some people seem to get off on, putting down or moaning. Yeah they could of thought of the more suitable title, yes the cover art is not really to my taste. But what really matters is the “MUSIC” and I can tell you now, it doesn’t come any better than Rory “LIVE” at this stage in his career. If you like Guitar orientated Blues/Rock , then Rory was the “BEST” so go on treat yourself and “BUY IT”

12. Carl Jacobs says:

Greatest white blues guitarist only saw him a couple times at Newcastle City Hall and Middlesbrough Town Hall Crypt. Taken from us too early. I’m in, for both CD and the vinyl.
    Managed to get him onto my daughter’s wedding playlist Bullfrog Blues was a particular memory along with Bad Penny, along with virtually the whole of my collection, with no room for modern stuff. I was subsequently reprimanded for spending the whole night on the dance floor instead of doing the FOTB mingling thing. WGAS I owned the dance floor that night.
    Carl Jacobs

13. Bc says:

Edged in Blue……not a live track that turns up…ever really.

14. Stan Waterman says:

Surely in your intro to the Rory Gallagher item you should have used the word ‘ Picked’ instead of ‘ Culled’ And yes I did get the Delux edition of the Oxford English Dictionary for Christmas! (I asked Santa for the OMD Delux!).

15. Sinner Boy says:

what a naff title for an album – Rory’s legacy deserves better than this.

16. Jack meadows says:

I’ve seen Rory numerous times! It doesn’t get any better! Miss him enormously!

17. horslips says:

Instant buy – year that I saw Rory at Macroom – the first ever open-air rock festival in Ireland.

18. Chris Walker, New Zealand says:

You just cannot beat the remastered DVD version of “Irish Tour ’74″…

• Jarmo Keranen says:

Shame about the camerawork. Everytime i begin to look at it, i wish it ist’t so awful that my memory says. And everytime after few minutes, i had to stop watching it, because it is just as awful, that my memory says. Same goes with the Cream Farewell Concert and Frank Zappa’s 200 Motels. It’s unbeliviable that it’s the same man who spoiled them all: director Tony Palmer! I had to say i don’t like the artwork. It looks like some hiphop artist record cover!

19. Simonf says:

Looks like an excellent set; Rory at his finest. Now if only I could some how track down a copy of the Gallagher vinyl album boxset from a couple of years ago which I faffed about for too long and missed out on then life would be perfect!

• Chris Squires says:

I bought that box Simon and other than it made buying all of the albums slightly cheaper than getting them all individually, which you can still do there was absolutely nothing to it. Never has a box been more of just a way of holding stuff. Yes it was limited to only 300 and it was numbered but it was the most basic thing. Boring artwork, basic open slipcase construction and it was never even sealed. The sealed albums were just stuffed in. So, if you can pick up the individual albums you will save a bundle and lose, well not exactly nothing but as close to it in packaging terms as possible.

20. DPman says:

I really like the Photo-Finish period and its live recordings, but this sounds very interesting.
    A definite buy.