Roxette / Bag of Trix: Music from the Roxette Vaults

Roxette / Big of Trix

Rarities package on 4LP vinyl and 3CD

Bag of Trix: Music From The Roxette Vaults is a new Roxette rarities package available as a 4LP or 3CD set.

There are actually four volumes of Bag of Trix which neatly coincide with a four-LP vinyl box set, with 47 tracks in total, 29 of which are previously unreleased. The same tracks are split across three CDs.

Bag of Trix 4LP vinyl box set (click to enlarge)

The audio include demos, alternative mixes, Spanish-language versions, bonus tracks and more from a 30-year career (1986-2016). Highlights include Brian Malouf’s US single mix of ‘Joyride’, an acoustic demo  of ‘Hotblooded’, an unplugged version of ‘Listen to Your Heart’ and three three home-recorded demo versions of Marie’s own songs ‘Pocketful Of Rain’, ‘Beautiful Boy’ and ‘Waiting For The Rain’ (only the last one ended up on a Roxette album).

Bag of Trix will be released on 11 December 2020 via Parlophone.

Roxette

Bag of Trix - 4LP vinyl box set

Roxette

Bag of Trix - 3CD set

Bag of Trix 4LP vinyl box

LP1

Side One:

1 Help! (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
2 Listen To Your Heart (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
3 Let Your Heart Dance With Me (Good Karma Outtake 2016) ***
4 Waiting For The Rain (Studio Vinden Demo 1997)
5 Joyride (Brian Malouf US Single Mix 1991)
6 Like Lovers Do (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***

Side Two:

1 Pocketful Of Rain (Skinnarviksringen Demo – Feb 1993) ***
2 Wish I Could Fly (Live EMP Sky Church, Seattle Oct 7, 2000) ***
3 Happy Together (T&A Demo – Jul 1-2, 1998)
4 Beautiful Boy (Studio Vinden Demo – Mar 2000) ***
5 You Don’t Understand Me (T&A Demo – Jul 30, 1995) ***
6 Hotblooded (T&A Demo – Dec 13, 1990) ***

LP2

Side One:

1 The Look (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
2 Tu No Me Comprendes (Spanish version of You Don’t Understand Me) ***
3 Soul Deep (Tom Lord-Alge Mix)
4 Always The Last To Know (Studio Vinden Demo 1998) ***
5 Sleeping In My Car (The Stockholm Demo Version 1993)
6 Watercolours In The Rain (T&A Demo – Jan 24, 1990) ***

Side Two:

1 From One Heart To Another (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
2 I Remember You (T&A Demo – Mar 15, 1990) ***
3 It Hurts (T&A Demo – Aug 3, 1995) ***
4 Perfect Day (T&A Demo – Aug 23, 1990) ***
5 New World (Studio Vinden Demo 1996)
6 Lo Siento (Spanish version of Salvation)

LP3

Side One:

1 Piece Of Cake (Good Karma Outtake 2016) ***
2 You Don’t Understand Me (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
3 Dangerous (Swedish Single Version)
4 Every Day (Studio Vinden Demo – Mar 2000) ***
5 The Big L (T&A Demo – Mar 29, 1990) ***
6 It Will Take A Long Long Time (Modern Rock Version) (Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999)

Side Two:

1 Little Girl (Studio Vinden Demo – March 2000) ***
2 Cry (Live Norrköping Dec 16, 1988)
3 Goodbye To You (Montezuma demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
4 Go To Sleep (Skinnarviksringen demo – Feb 1993) ***
5 Quisiera Volar (Spanish version of Wish I Could Fly)

LP4

Side One:

1 The Centre Of The Heart (Is A Suburb To The Brain) (Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999) ***
2 Pearls And Passion (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
3 Things Will Never Be The Same (T&A Demo – Dec 13, 1990) ***
4 Entering Your Heart (Room Service Outtake 2001)
5 Cooper (Closer To God) (Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999)
6 Joy Of A Toy (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***

Side Two:

1 It Takes You No Time To Get Here (Room Service Outtake 1999)***
2Before You Go To Sleep (T&A demo – Oct 23, 1992) ***
3 I  Was So Lucky (The Golden Blow) (Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999) ***
4 Jag älskar (Surrender) (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
5 Som i en dröm (So Far Away) (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
6 Alguien (Spanish version of Anyone 1999)

*** Previously unreleased

Bag of Trix 3CD set

CD 1

1.Help! (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
2.Listen To Your Heart (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
3.Let Your Heart Dance With Me (Good Karma Outtake 2016) ***
4.Waiting For The Rain ( Studio Vinden Demo 1997)
5.Joyride (Brian Malouf US Single Mix 1991)
6.Like Lovers Do (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
7.Pocketful Of Rain (Skinnarviksringen Demo – Feb 1993) ***
8.Tu No Me Comprendes (Spanish version of You Don’t Understand Me) ***
9.Happy Together (T&A Demo – Jul 1-2, 1998)
10.Beautiful Boy (Studio Vinden Demo – Mar 2000) ***
11.Cooper (Closer To God) (Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999)
12.Hotblooded (T&A Demo – Dec 13, 1990) ***
13.The Center Of The Heart (Is A Suburb To The Brain) (Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999) ***
14.Pearls And Passion (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
15.Things Will Never Be The Same ( T&A Demo – Dec 13, 1990) ***
16.Alguien (Spanish version of Anyone 1999)

CD 2

1.The Look (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
2.You Don’t Understand Me (T&A Demo – Jul 30, 1995) ***
3.Soul Deep (Tom Lord-Alge Mix)
4.Wish I Could Fly (Live EMP Sky Church, Seattle Oct 7, 2000) ***
5.New World (Studio Vinden Demo 1996)
6.Sleeping In My Car (The Stockholm Demo Version 1993)
7.Watercolours In The Rain (T&A Demo – Jan 24, 1990) ***
8.From One Heart To Another (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
9.I Remember You ( T&A Demo – Mar 15, 1990) ***
10.It Hurts (T&A Demo – Aug 3, 1995) ***
11.Perfect Day (T&A Demo – Aug 23, 1990) ***
12.Joy Of A Toy ( Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
13.Always The Last To Know (Studio Vinden Demo 1998) ***
14.It Takes You No Time To Get Here (Room Service Outtake 1999) ***
15. Before You Go To Sleep (T&A demo – Oct 23, 1992) ***
16.Lo Siento (Spanish version of Salvation)

CD 3

1.Piece Of Cake (Good Karma Outtake 2016) ***
2.You Don’t Understand Me (Abbey Road Sessions – Nov 15, 1995)
3.Dangerous (Swedish Single Version)
4.Every Day (Studio Vinden Demo – Mar 2000) ***
5.The Big L (T&A Demo – Mar 29, 1990) ***
6.It Will Take A Long Long Time (Modern Rock Version) ( Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999)
7.Little Girl (Studio Vinden Demo – March 2000) ***
8.Cry (Live Norrköping Dec 16, 1988)
9.Goodbye To You (Montezuma demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) * **
10.Go To Sleep (Skinnarviksringen demo – Feb 1993) ***
11.I Was So Lucky (The Golden Blow) (Have A Nice Day Outtake 1999) ***
12.Entering Your Heart (Room Service Outtake 2001)
13.Jag älskar (Surrender) (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25-26, 1986) ***
14.Som i en dröm (So Far Away) (Montezuma Demo – Jul 25- 26, 1986) ***
15.Quisiera Vol

37 responses to Roxette / Bag of Trix: Music from the Roxette Vaults

1. malcy says:

Amazon UK now listing CD for £14.99
    Paul you may wish to include in tool above.

2. Shane says:

I forgot to voice my discontent with label issuing multi-disc releases and not even bothering to create different sleeves for each disc. Just a different color on the same photo? Really? Do they have to pay for each photo used? For the price they are charging for this each disc should be as individual as possible. What a lazy “effort”.
    File together with double albums NOT issued in gatefold sleeves.

3. MRN says:

Pretty much always a bit mistreated by the music press. NME gave “Have a Nice Day” 7/10 though. Of course, there are many bits of cheese spread along their stuff yet the amount of great songwriting and pure class hooks is undeniable. To me they were at their artistic peak with some tracks on “Tourism” and “Crash! Boom! Bang!”. And I am not talking singles from those albums…

• Mark C Jackson says:

Well the best acts are. They’re too busy being orgasmic over unworthy trash than the Kim Wildes, Sandras, Durans, China Crisises, Kirsty MacColls and Roxettes of this world, but that’s THEIR failing. Music press is a joke. Simply devoted to musical crap!

4. elliott buckingham says:

another box set another missed chance to include all the 12″ remixes

• Larry Davis says:

With Roxette, the remixes are fine, as long as they don’t take away from the structure of the original song…they are a powerpop band and for me, remixes take away the feel of guitar powerpop…I don’t mind the 7″ versions because they keep the snappiness of the original and the demo but with a slight twist…I also enjoy extended versions for the same reasons but with cool longer sections that enhance the songs…but remixes of powerpop don’t exactly work all the time…like the Japanese Rick Springfield 12″s CD, it’s a mixed bag…only 2 tracks work as remixes…”Human Touch” & “Celebrate Youth”…with Roxette, remixes work only if they keep the structure intact…not like a beat & looped and repeated vocal snippet sample…so for me, it’s only about the demos, album versions & 7” single mixes only…I think because they are a powerpop band, not remix DJs…not like how New Order are either, mixing postpunk & club culture, which is in their DNA…

5. Shane says:

Why do I feel like there are more Roxette compilations than studio albums?
    Also +1 for proper expanded deluxe edition of albums with all the extra tracks, not those flat gatefold cardsleeved ones from a few years ago that were so unattractive I decided to keep my original first pressing CDs from when I personally picked up in store as a kid.
    Also, once again the travesty of the vinyl version costing four times more than the cd one?

6. blink says:

I would have preferred deluxe editions of their albums with b-sides, remixes etc., or maybe a Remixes & Rarities collection that spans the albums. Demos are not all that interesting to me, I mostly listen to them once and then go back to the ‘official’ version.

• Larry Davis says:

The albums were already expanded…first back in 2009, with bonus B-sides the first 7, “Pearls Of Passion” expanded before that in 1996, then “Charm School” with a disc of demos, then the “Roxbox” loaded with rarities in 2006…as for Per’s demos, they are full-band recordings, brilliantly produced and better than the official albums because they are not as slick/polished and have more of a pure guitar-fuelled powerpop sound with punkish energy…just with Per singing most everything, which I prefer…the albums have Marie’s voice, which is great, and they feel like Marie covering Per’s songs, which does work… brilliantly…but her own style is more evident on her own solo records…for me, Roxette is just one of Per’s own musical vehicles, equal to Gyllene Tider or Son Of A Plumber or Mono Mind, just the most successful of them all…

• blink says:

The 2006 RoxBox is more an extended greatest hits than what I was talking about (there is no a single remix on it). All the 2009 expanded one disc versions also only added a) at most a handful of songs, b) mostly demos, c) no remixes at all. Finally Charm School yet again only added a disc of demos.
        I have all of these (except for Charm School, of which I have a different 2CD version that has a second disc of live performances, something I also prefer over demos).

So I am not sure how any of this addresses my wish for deluxe editions that contain the REMIXES (at most it addresses the b sides).
        I also seem to have a different understanding of ‘ full-band recordings, brilliantly produced’ than you do. When I listen to the demos on the 2009 remasters, they very clearly are demos to me, with a lot less production behind them. Can’t comment on any other demos.

• Mark C Jackson says:

Only it really isn’t, as Roxette were always a pairing. You might as well call Abba an Ulvaeus-Anderson project then and nothing to do with Agnetha and Frida! Roxette did many ballads, virtually either power-ballad type (God, HOW American!) or more recognisably gentle and they sound like something she would write, but Per chose to write the majority of the stuff. Even when a song by her alone makes in Roxette album in rare time, unless you were reading it or told it, it would still come across as a Roxette song he wrote. You also forget Marie can also write the music to a song while he does the words. One thing Per NEVER makes sense on. He HATES ‘Fireworks’ which is one of their killers, yet yucky ‘Vulnerable’ (a lousy single option) and the stupid, derivative ‘June Afternoon’ keep making compilations over that, yet it was a bigger hit in the UK than both of those undeserving chart horrors and so it should be.

7. Larry Davis says:

Lessee, the Rox Demos #5 vinyl in Per’s Archive box….

A1- “Crush On You” (T&A Demo, July 30, 1998)
    A2- “Anyone/I Love How You Love Me” (T&A Demo, July 26, 1998)
    A3- “The Centre Of The Heart (Is A Suburb To The Brain)” (T&A Demo, Oct 2, 1997)
    A4- “One Wish” (T&A Demo, May 20, 2006)
    A5- “Fool” (T&A Demo, Dec 27, 1999)
    A6- “Staring At The Ground” (T&A Demo, Aug 29, 1997)
    B1- “Come Back (Before You Leave)” (T&A Demo, April 4, 1990)
    B2- “(I Could Never) Give You Up” (T&A Demo, Dec 18, 1987)
    B3- “Dangerous” (T&A Demo, Feb 11, 1987)
    B4- “The Heart Shaped Sea #2” (T&A Demo, May, 1991)
    B5- “Joyrider” (T&A Demo, May 22, 1990)
    B6- “Dansar Nerfor Ditt Stup I Rekordfart (Soul Deep)” (T&A Demo, May 7, 1986)

The tracks from here that are also on “Bag Of Trix”…none…

8. Mino says:

The main problem with my favourite band (Roxette of course) is that 99/100 of the demos are sung by Per but people want to listen to Marie’s voice. It would be great to have expended editions of their albums with bonus tracks and remixes as well (not like The Look that was pretty unuseful with only demos). Ps most of the demos on the first volume of Bag are sung by Marie… The sad thing is that most of the other demos are available somewhere else so that very few unreleased tracks…

9. Tobias says:

Being from Sweden I off course grew up with Roxette. Even before they hit international success. This looks like a nice treasure and good upgrade from the “RoxBox “ that came out some years ago. I am still waiting for their “MTV Unplugged” concert to come out! An audio/video box set of that would be nice… Pull some strings, Paul! :)

• John Johnstone says:

The RoxBox compilation does contain the MTV Unplugged concert … it’s on one of the sides of the double-sided DVD (Roxette videos are on the other)

• Tobias says:

Oh i totally missed that! Just had acces to the audio content from that box and not the physical format. So far. :)
        My bad!

• Larry Davis says:

Yes it was, but that DVD was compressed so badly that it was practically unwatchable, with the picture tons of little squares…when the Roxbox was reissued/repackaged, the DVD was dropped…

10. Michael says:

And they haven’t called the vinyl “Boxette” (Box set)? Opportunity missed there!

They’ve done that already.

• John Cooper says:

I always thought their Greatest Hits from 1995 had such a great memorable title,
      “Don’t Bore Us – Get To The Chorus!”
      It flopped upon release but is up there with some of the greatest pop compilations.

• Graham says:

Eh? Some flop –

The album was an immediate commercial success, selling over 2 million copies worldwide within 2 months of release. As of 2001, the compilation has sold in excess of 6 million copies worldwide.

The album was an immediate commercial success throughout Europe, debuting at number three on Billboard’s European Albums Chart.[13] It was later certified platinum by the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry in 1996 for sales of over a million copies throughout Europe.[14] The record topped the charts in Portugal,[13] while reaching the top five in Austria,[15] Denmark,[13] Finland,[16] Ireland,[17] Scotland,[18] Sweden,[7] Switzerland,[8] and the UK.[5] In Germany, the record peaked at number seven,[9] and was certified platinum by the BVMI for shipments in excess of 500,000 units.[19] The album also peaked at number seven in Italy,[20] and was one of the top 40 best-selling albums of the year.[21] Don’t Bore Us sold over 2 million copies worldwide within two months of release.[22]

The record was also successful in Oceania, peaking in the top ten in both Japan and New Zealand.[23][24] It was certified platinum in both countries for shipments in excess of 200,000 and 15,000 units, respectively.[25][24] Conversely, the album initially had little impact on the ARIA Charts when it was released in Australia in late 1995, failing to enter the top 40 there.[26] In mid-1996, some six months later, EMI Australia began to promote the album with a collection of TV commercials.[27] The record would go on to peak in the top ten,[26] and was certified double platinum by the ARIA for shipments in excess of 140,000 copies.[28] It finished 1996 as the 35th best-selling album in the country.[29]

11. Larry Davis says:

Just ordered from JPC cuz all foreign Amazons not shipping to the US…hardcore Per/Rox fan here…for me, Per is the REAL King Of Pop cuz he just has these amazing catchy earworms coming out of his pores with to-die-for hooks and choruses on a consistent basis…and Marie was such a wonderful singer RIP…I have most of the Rox catalogue & a lot of Per’s other stuff…solo, Gyllene Tider, Son Of A Plumber, the recent electronic Mono Mind, The Lonely Boys, his demos boxset…have to compare the Rox demos vinyl to this Bag Of Trix…I met Marie once and Per twice, first time I’ll never forget…30 years ago 1990, was next door to my then-job in NYC at a Sam Goody, a big chain record store a friend of mine was working at, and there is Per by himself just hanging out looking around shopping (he’s always buying records)…I spotted him, didn’t realize he was so tall, like 6’5″, and we just started talking music & time flew…I think it musta been like 3 hours, we got on like fast instant friends or just equal pop music fanatics…I recall telling him how I felt he was one of the best songwriters I ever heard & he was thankful & modest…being 30 years ago & had only just started getting into his stuff not long before, I was just an early fan, I think then I was just either trying to impress or being overly enthusiastic without actually meaning it then…but right now, I think I was being modest & didn’t realize just how actually genius and in the Lennon-McCartney or Brian Wilson or Benny & Bjorn class he actually belongs…I treasure that meeting…

12. Geoff says:

So glad to have more music from Roxette. I’d love to see a Roxette singles box with all remixes and B-sides.

13. Ryan M says:

‘Bag of Trix’ looks great. In a recent video interview supporting this set, Per Gessle was also asked if a deluxe edition of ‘Joyride’ would happen (2021 is the 30th anniversary). He said that yes, they’d do something for it.

Roxette released a 30th anniversary edition box of ‘Look Sharp’ in 2018 (vinyl + cd of demos + large format booklet). There’s some for 49.99 on Amazon UK still. I imagine a special edition of ‘Joyride’ would be similar.

14. michelle says:

this looks great. shame you cant order the cd set from amazon.ca. do we know if amazon.co.uk will be stocking it

15. HS says:

Roxette are a very underrated group and I will definitely get the CD version.

16. Tom m hans says:

Does this include the vinyl only tracks from the excellent Per Gessle CD Vinyl Box Set?

It includes the tracks that are on the track listing at the bottom of this post.

• James says:

It does not (at least not most of them – I haven’t checked)

But I think that some of the demos marked as ‘unreleased’ may have appeared on the Gessle box(es) before. Or they could be alternate demos.

17. Michael says:

a fourth CD with relevant 12″ Mixes would be nice

18. Richard Bristow says:

If you look beyond their reputation and singles you will find some great music tucked away on their albums which is no surprise with the talented songwriter and wonderful vocalist combination. There is a reason why they are easily the second biggest musical act to emerge from Sweden after Abba.

The group is named after the Dr Feelgood song, say no more!

19. MARK LEVY says:

I’ve got enough Roxette now. A superb tour editon of their best of with a DVD of all their videos.

20. Steven Roberts says:

The fact they’ve managed to get 3 CDs worth of material onto only 4 LPs suggests either than the CDs are quite short, or that the LPs are really long and compressed.

Either way, an interesting set. Just wish I was a bigger fan of Roxette!

• James says:

Vol. 1 is on Spotify right now (with the others to follow over the coming weeks). It’s about 45 minutes long.