Saint Etienne / Words and Music by…

2CD deluxe of the 2012 album

Saint Etienne’s eighth album Words and Music by… is being reissued as a two-CD deluxe edition.

This package comprises the original 13 track album whilst disc two contains all 10 tracks from the long deleted US-only More Words And Music record plus three songs appearing on CD for the first time: the rare seven-inch-only ‘Pocket Call’ and previously unreleased recordings ‘Starlings and When I Was Seventeen (single mix)’.

The two CDs come in a gatefold card sleeve with a 24-page booklet containing the original sleeve notes by Travis Elborough, new notes by Adey Lobb and a specially commissioned track-by-track analysis by Bob, Pete and Sarah.

This Words and Music by… deluxe edition is issued on 10 July 2020.

Saint Etienne

Words and Music (2CD Deluxe)

CD 1

7. You’re Not Alone
8. Just Friends
9. Fairground Rock ‘N’ Roll
10. Lullaby
11. Pocket Call
12. Starlings

18 responses to Saint Etienne / Words and Music by…

1. Mickey says:

Great album, I just wish they’d including the extended versions of Tonight and I’ve Got Your Music and the other B sides plus the bonus EP with the boxset (on the original release). It would have fit on to the the CDs I’m also certain of it.

2. Colin Morrison says:

Heavenly haven’t shipped the LRSD edition yet. It’s due any day. It’s possible there may be some around once it turns up in record stores.

3. Richard says:

Weirdly is now completely unavailable on Amazon UK with no knowledge of if/when coming back into stock?

4. Trevor Smith says:

This was the last St Etienne album I really liked, especially Answer Song. Interested to hear cd2 so will buy a copy.

5. Auteur55 says:

Weird I already have a Deluxe edition of this album and the second disc is full of remixes.

6. Blakey says:

Great record, but isn’t the name Penny Lane now banned by the dictatorial but do no research left wing virtue signaling yob mob?

7. PT says:

I ordered mine from Resident, where the shipping cost to the U.S. was significantly cheaper than Rough Trade: https://www.resident-music.com/productdetails&product_id=69840

Also, the previously unreleased mix of “When I Was Seventeen” might be the mysteriously titled track 26.

8. Chris S says:

Never heard them before, but I’d buy it based just on the cover art alone.
    In the 60’s and 70’s bought a lot based purely on the cover art, and many of those still remain in my record collection.

• Marc Carter says:

Never heard of Saint Etienne? A quintessential English pop band making wonderful pop music for over two decades…dip into their back catalogue and enjoy!

9. Klaus says:

Where has the single mix of “When I Was Seventeen” gone between writing the article and adding the track listing?

10. TG says:

Absolutely ridiculous that Amazon UK won’t ship this to the US. But I’m happy to support Rough Trade despite the shipping costs being more than the set itself.

• Derek Langsford says:

Maybe its because of rights over the “US-only More Words And Music.”

• K says:

They haven’t had a US label for ages now – the “US-only” version was on the same label as everything else, and was just held back as exclusive merch at the US (and Canada) leg of the tour.

And their original email blast said the “single mix” was “previously unreleased” so what could possibly be tied up?

11. Paul Taylor says:

I love that sleeve!
    Missed the coloured one on Love Record Stores day but managed to source a black vinyl original, which might get framed.
    Deluxe CD looks good value

• Tom says:

The map on the sleeve was designed by a company called Dorothy and is apparently loosely based on Croydon, near where Bob & Pete grew up.

It was based on the company’s Song Map, which you can still buy from wearedorothy.com

The band chose their own tracks to feature on the album cover version, which was issued as a limited edition print.

Sadly, this sold out a long time ago, but the original version would certainly look nice on a wall…

• Paul Taylor says:

Thanks for that Tom, very interesting. I would’ve loved a 12″ print of the sleeve and might be able to sort something through somewhere like our local Max Spielman. Just need a decent scan