Sigue Sigue Sputnik / Flaunt It 4CD set

Remastered 4CD set with plenty of bonus material

Sigue Sigue Sputnik‘s 1986 debut Flaunt It will be released as a four-CD deluxe set in October.

The much-hyped album was produced by Giorgio Moroder and features the hits ‘Love Missile F1-11’ and ‘21st Century Boy’.

The forthcoming four-CD reissue offers remastered audio (“from the original tapes”). The first disc is the album, CD 2 offers remixes (mostly ‘Love Missile F1-11’) while the third CD is a selection of nine ‘remixes, rarities & B-sides’. The final disc includes a complete, previously unreleased, live show recorded at Abbey Road Studios, although it’s not clear exactly when this show was taped.

Arguably, the content is spread thinly over the four CDs, but at just over £20 there’s not too much cause for complaint.

Flaunt It will be reissued on 9 October 2020.

Sigue Sigue Sputnik

11. ADVERTISEMENT: EMI RECORDS

BONUS TRACK
12. FROM THE GUTTER TO THE STARS

CD 2

REMIXES

1. TRAILER MIX
2. LOVE MISSILE F1-11 (7” SINGLE MIX)
3. LOVE MISSILE F1-11 (THE BANGKOK REMIX)
4. LOVE MISSILE F1-11 (DANCE MIX)
5. LOVE MISSILE F1-11 (EXTENDED ULTRA VIOLENCE VERSION)
6. LOVE MISSILE F1-11 (VIDEO MIX)
7. LOVE MISSILE F1-11 (JAPANESE REMIX)
8. LOVE MISSILE F 1-11 (WESTBAM REMIX SHORT VERSION)
9. MASSIVE RETALIATION (THE SUPER MASSIVE UK REMIX)
10. MASSIVE RETALIATION (SHUT UP DUB REMIX)
11. SEX BOMB BOOGIE (MAGIC FLUTE) 12. SEX BOMB DANCE

CD 3

REMIXES, RARITIES AND B-SIDES

1. HACK ATTACK
2. BUY EMI
3. DANCERAMA (1986 VERSION)
4. SUICIDE (LIVE IN LONDON SEPT’ ’86)
5. 21ST CENTURY BOY (EXTENDED T.V. MIX)
6. 21ST CENTURY BOY (GERMAN REMIX)
7. 21ST CENTURY BOY (DANCE MIX)
8. BUY EMI (£4,000,000 MIX)
9. SHE’S MY MAN (REMIX)

CD 4

LIVE AT ABBEY ROAD

1. SEX BOMB BOOGIE
2. 21ST CENTURY BOY
3. TWIST & SHOUT
4. SHE’S MY MAN
5. SHOOT IT UP
6. JAYNE MANSFIELD
7. ROCKIT MISS U.S.A.
(PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED)

47 responses to Sigue Sigue Sputnik / Flaunt It 4CD set

1. mark e says:

hang on, all this chaos re a specific 7″ version.
    is the version of “21st Century Boy” on the brilliant EMI comp, 21st Century Boys, from a few years back not the 7″ version ?
    oh, and i suspect this new edition will have the adverts.
    they were never separately indexed/labelled.
    i can’t imagine that they have edited them out as they are completely integral to the album.
    having got the original cds, and the semi legit stuff that Tony sold via Sputnikworld (RIP), this does not really add much more (not fussed re the live set to be honest) .
    now, a DVD compilation of all their videos/TV appearances would be very interesting.
    i still love Sputnik more than i really should.

2. Norman says:

I remember the original Stone Roses used to play ‘Love Missile’ at their gigs.

I also remember Piccadilly Radio (261) playing the mix with Ian McShane’s ‘Grace Jones’ speech and Mozart samples.

Love Missile was a great single. But – a bit like the Pistols – tabloid notoriety did for the band.

3. Richard John says:

just bought this off Amazon (gotta relive my childhood!) and I received the AutoRip with it – albeit the currently available version of the album and it included the Adverts. If this new box doesn’t include them, at least I have the amazon provided downloads with the ads!

4. Gianluca De Caro says:

Great mistakes or great missings: 21st Century Boys 7″ version is not on the track list. Incredible…. In 1986 there were two different 7″ versions: 3’32” and 4’10”. Now here we have four discs with space enough, and no one of these two 7″ versions…
    Paul why? Please ask about why? We wish a reasonable explanation. These 7″ versions are still unreleased or hard to find on cd. How is it possible such mistakes?

• Lloyd says:

There’s a lot to like about this, but still some glaring omissions.
      Music MIA:
      – 21st Century Boy 7″ mixes, as mentioned
      – Teenage Thunder (Sputstyle)
      – Rockit Miss USA (Deathwish IV)
      – Hack Attack (Dub)
      – Massive Retaliation (Super Massive Edit)
      – Dakeyne Megamix
      – ALL the Adverts, including those from various import pressings, eg France and Japan

But probably most importantly: the video archive door has remained locked… wtf!
      Video ‘Nasties’ MIA:
      – The ‘Live Satellite TV’ Royal Albert Hall Concert – deliver us from the unwatchable version on YouTube!
      – The video clips for the singles
      – Adverts and Trailers
      – TV performances and interviews

Surely there could also have been some wild coloured vinyl edition (I’m thinking royal blue/hot pink splatter) to accompany this release…

I’ll still be buying it though; can’t wait! lol!

5. holger says:

Regarding the Live at Abbey Road Disk – this has been available as a bootleg:

Sigue Sigue Live @ Abbey Road 18th December 1985

6. Dubsideofthemoon says:

SSS slept at the 4 stars Warwick Hotel in Paris when i used to work as a bellboy; they were dressed like on the cover and the square and somewhat rich people were so shocked !!! great laughs…

7. metal mickey says:

I saw SSS live twice at Coventry Poly. First time was before they had released anything, in the tiny Student Union basement, the gig ending abruptly when Degville invited the audience onstage, and the whole crowd duly obliged! Second time was at the peak of their hype, in the main hall, at the infamous gig where Degville was bottled and appeared on the front cover of the next day’s Sun newspaper… The Sun were sponsoring the tour, and the band were all wearing “I’m A Sun Lover” T-shirts on stage, but the bottling _did_ happen (i.e. it wasn’t a made-up story)… it was the Coventry/Leicester local derby that afternoon, and the hooligans all came to the gig afterwards to carry on the ruck, the heaviest gig atmosphere I’ve ever experienced…

Anyway, I can’t honestly say SSS were a great band, but they were great fun and a great EVENT, and sometimes that’s what we all need… 4 CDs might be at least one too many, but I’ll still buy this, I honestly think that they sound a lot more “relevant” in today’s post-bleep techno, 24-7-365 multi-media, zero attention-span landscape, than they did at the time…

8. Andrew Greenwood says:

I saw the band in Manchester at the International, presumably in 1986, but possibly the 1985 gig as I don’t remember the 30 foot barrier mentioned when I googled it to find out . We parked by the tour bus which was the biggest one I’d ever seen at the time. I don’t think they played for very long (set list has 7 songs) and I can’t remember much about the gig or the support, but I did only buy the Love Missile single at the time and didn’t bother with the album. I’d probably get this if it was a 2 CD with the album and the live gig, and I might even be tempted anyway as it’s only 20 quid… There is a load of stuff coming out this autumn though so I may do my best to resist!

9. Neil Kelly says:

This was announced ages ago glad you finally posted this news. Shame so much missing though as i’ve said before. I’d have paid double to have 5 discs full. Apparently there’s 2 7″ versions of ’21st century boy’. We get none here. Shocking!
    I ordered weeks ago where you get a free badge / pin just because that’s gonna be a rare version. I checked a few days later and i think i’m right in saying it sold out.
    Still at £20 better than nothing. Just a shame after 34 years not done properly but we’re all used to this kind of thing by now aren’t we…

10. Siggitysig says:

I was 15 when this came out and it blew my mind I have to say – heard Love Missile via Rockover London radio show in USA… having ads on a record – wow – tempo-po-po – it was also the sounds used and “the sound” in general… maybe it was the time in my life… this just connected with me and maybe cos I thought I was the only one in my small town who knew about these guys. Hope to pick this one up.

11. Hans Utrecht says:

On the 26th of February 1986 John Peel played in his Program a song by ‘Blitzkrieg Zone’ called ‘ 21 boy’. you can listen to it on you tube….it sounds pretty much the same as 21 century boy …….
    never heard of them since…is there a complot…..has EMI bought the song to get a single for there highly overrated (and expansive) SSS.
    I like the original 21 boy better.

12. Matteo Leoni says:

Some dub/remix version is missing, but the most notable absence is the 7″ version of “21st century boy”, that remains unreleased anywhere in digital format.
    “She’s my man (remix)” is almost identical to the LP version, IIRC, I have it in some promo 12″ and I’ve never noticed any difference, but I could be wrong.
    About the ads: there were different ads in some edition of the LP, I know for sure that at least one ad in the italian pressing is different than in the UK vinyl, and I’ve read that the french edition has unique ads.

13. Shane says:

Finally posted on SDE, been waiting for it. I ordered from the label, as I’d pay only 2 pounds more and I might get a pin and the chance that I might get the awful wallet sleeve not squashed.

Just can’t fathom why someone would click on this post, read it, and go through the trouble of typing “oh god why” when clearly they detest this? Feel an uncontrollable need to share hate? Nothing better to do?
    Guess what the world is diverse and you won’t like everyhing, doesnt mean you have to piss on what you hate.
    Honestly, some people….

• Fogarrach says:

Shane,
      I didn’t read the oh god why post as hateful. In fact I read it as humourous and chuckled a wee bit.
      I then went on to watch a video on YouTube with sigue sigue Sputnik, Anne diamond and nick, Michael Barrymore and Giles Brandreth. Watch it. Anne’s shocked judgemental looks are priceless, as is degvilles lack of comfort in his role. And sss saying themselves that the music is less important than the fashion is very revealing.
      Fans should enjoy what looks like a good tribute to a semi darkness style band that could have had their own spinal tap or bros documentary had they been more sincere in their own project.

14. Fogarrach says:

Each to their musical own and it’s nice to read comments from people who clearly were fans. I’m pleased that they will get a chance to revisit their memories.

I’m not one. They were a pound shop attempt at a new punk (fashion first, music worst).

I recall that at the time the singles were released, in my local record shop near Glasgow, you could buy different formats of their really overpackaged 12″ singles for 50p each. I later learned that this because that shop was one of those used to calculate chart positions. In the end it didn’t help much, people looked at the formats, marvelled at them, and put them back on the shelf. Music just didn’t stand up. Eddie Cochrane would recognise every musical moment of their first single.

15. Mikey-D says:

Oh man one of my favorite albums of all times. What a great way to end the week. Thanks for the heads up!

16. AdamW says:

I thought this album was a genuine blast, a post-modern romp through 80s production, a stripped-down music concept (it’s Suicide, but with absurd hair!), and very enjoyable tunes, especially “21st Century Boy” and “Rockit Miss USA.” You couldn’t take it seriously, but it was seriously fun. At this price point, I will definitely be buying this.

It’s a shame about the ads, though. Guess I’m keeping my original as well. Mm-mm, I love technology…

17. Spiderbite says:

I can’t imagine listening to this album without the original advertisements. It just would be bizarre as they are so interwoven with the songs that they just blend and flow perfectly. Plus, having listened to this album thousands upon thousands of times from the time it was released until now…it would be just jarring. But I will still likely check it out.

Why wouldn’t they include the original album as is, no matter if the product or company is still around or not? So weird.

And why does the first track say “Re-recording?” Does that mean it is a completely new version that they are putting in place of the one that was on the original album? If so…what the hell?

I was crazy excited for this until I read all the details.

I would love to see a special edition for “Dress For Excess” that came after “Flaunt It.” That album is criminally underrated and basically forgotten it seems.

18. Ian says:

This is one of my favourite albums, so I’m definitely getting this. I had the LP box set back in the day, and upgraded that to a Japanese mini-lp replica a few years ago. It was quite a shock to hear different adverts, in Japanese, compared to those I was used to. It would be a shame if they are excised from this, it was part of the whole experience. I don’t know if any of the products being advertised are still around anyway, is I-D magazine?

19. Sad Peacok says:

Still have my Toy Box Robot Vinyl and several Love Missile 12″s.
    I am a Production manager at Coachella and several years back, Tony James was there on my stage performing with Mick Jones.
    He signed my love missile 12 inch.
    He said.. ” Fuck me no one has asked me to sign on e of those in years….
    It is one of only thing that’s ever really made me any money!”
    I am quite content, so I will pass!

20. scott truelove says:

They should have included the Paul Dakeyne Sigue Sigue Sputmix DMC megamix!
    Check it out on You Tube

21. Erik says:

I remember my cousin and I listening to this album constantly for a few weeks in 1986 and have not touched it since. Almost afraid to now, destroying the haze of nostalgia and all. Still, at that price looks to be worth it for nothing else then reliving a fun summer.

22. Rich E says:

A shame if they have excised the original ads. Especially as they are still in the iTunes version.

23. Christopher Wilson says:

Anyone remember The Tube interview with Muriel Gray in which she told them they just look like gonks :-)

24. The Abbey Rd concert is from December 1985, when Love Missile was still called Shoot It Up.
    More info: http://stevepafford.com/f1-11/

25. adam shaw says:

I’ve still got the original box set which came with a T shirt which wouldn’t even get over my arm now !
    I’ll get this if has the mix that was on a ZTT various artists compilation a few years back .
    Does anyone know what mix that was ?

26. Christopher Merritt says:

I’ve read elsewhere that the original commercials have been excised, which would be a drag as it was part of the whole appeal of the concept to me…

27. Uncle Ru says:

I bought the vinyl a few years ago at a record fair for quite some money and was shocked how bad these songs are and how terribly dated they sound, except Love Missile F1-11.

• Dana says:

I remember feeling the hype from across the Atlantic while this was hitting big in UK. All the sci-fi aesthetic & Giorgio Moroder, how could anything go so wrong?! As soon as I was able to get a copy here in The States I did & couldn’t wait to give it a play. Well…I barely made it through an entire play. When asked what’s the absolute worst piece of music I’ve ever heard my answer, without hesitation, is anything by Sigue Sigue Sputnik. A few weeks after my initial listen I tried to give it another chance, but nope, I couldn’t make it through. This album was one of the very few times in my life I felt duped after purchasing a piece of music–and this was at an import price!

• Wayne Olsen says:

I am an unabashed Anglophile, but uNfortunately this is another British band that spent 55 minutes getting dressed and 5 minutes doing the music. Not sure what the distinction is between this and that party dance frog thing. I did get the record when it came out because, hey, it’s Sigue Sigue Sputnik!!!!!!
        Still, if you enjoy it, enjoy it…

28. Brian Smith says:

I take it, it includes the adverts

29. Andrew F. says:

The track listing suggests the original adverts between tracks for Tempo, Network 21, Studio Line, i-D magazine and Pure Sex aren’t present.

I loved the hype and marketing behind this album campaign. I remember HMV offered a free 12” single with purchases of Flaunt It, which I’d already bought. I opted to get the cassette, acquired the vinyl freebie, returned the cassette for a credit note the week after and felt like a master of deception at the age of 15.

• michael59 says:

would be a shame if it didn’t include all the original advertisments from the 1986 album…

@paul: you know if this is indeed the original album with all advertisments?

• Jakob says:

I think the ads weren’t indexed separately on the original CD, each attached to whichever song they were at the end of, so they may all still be there. We’ll see I guess. ‍♂️ I was excited to pre-order this for the remixes I was missing anyhow since all their 12” comps are long out of print.

30. Howie says:

This brings back nightmares of having the original vinyl boxset. A flimsy cardboard box with a nasty flimsy plastic tray inside. A total nightmare to store and to stop it getting damaged… I sold it.

31. Simonf says:

Well this looks interesting. Shame there’s no DVD in it as there is a lot Sputnik video and TV material from this era out there. Might be worth a punt if the price drops a bit. I still have my original Flaunt It box set as well. Hugely underrated group, (along with Big Audio Dynamite) as everyone got caught up in the hype instead of the music and dismissed them as a novelty.

• Agreed they are underrated – one can draw a line from Suicide to Sigue Sigue Sputnik to The KLF to today’s 100gecs. With Marc Almond grabbing that line on occasion over the decades. I have a soft spot for confrontational sounds that don’t quite slip into anger.

32. James Blair says:

As you said, a great price for the 4 CD set, but there are some of the glaring omissions.
    The Sci-Fi Sex Stars remixes of “Rockit Miss USA“ & “Teenage Thunder“ even made it onto EMI’s budget best of.
    No “Hack Attack (Dub)” or “21st Century Boy (7” mix)” either, to name but two more.
    Worth getting as a true curio of the 80s, though!