Simple Minds / 40: Best of 1979-2019

Universal Music will issue 40: The Best of 1979-2019 a new Simple Minds compilation that celebrates four decades of music from the Scottish band.

This will be issued as a three-CD set, a 2LP vinyl package and as a single CD, with all three featuring a new track For One Night Only. “Compiled and sequenced by Jim Kerr & Charlie Burchill” the triple-CD set features 40 tracks, in total, while the vinyl offers 18. Audio has been remastered at Abbey Road.

The track listing on Amazon reveals lots of edits, although the official press release doesn’t actually specify this. The artwork is by long-time collaborator Stuart Crouch.

40: The Best of 1979-2019 will be released on 1 November 2019.

Simple Minds

Sense of Discovery
Someone Somewhere in Summertime
See the Lights
Belfast Child
Promised You A Miracle
Honest Town
Don’t You (Forget About Me)
Chelsea Girl
Hypnotised
Stars Will Lead the Way
For One Night Only – New Track
Sanctify Yourself
Mandela Day
Alive and Kicking

82 responses to Simple Minds / 40: Best of 1979-2019

1. Martin Sanchez says:

I am quite disappointed in the Track Listing. I know this isn’t for true fans unlike Live In The City Of Angels was, but it would’ve been nice to see King is White…, This Fear Of Gods, Boys From Brazil, even Dolphins or One Step Closer be included.

2. David Robinson says:

From a quick look at just the track times and a short listen the following are different to the Celebrate greatest hits and other single edits.

War Babies is the Bascombe Single Mix
    Mandela Day is the Unrealeased Edit from the cancelled american single (4:09)
    Cry is a remix of some sort that lasts for 7 minutes with hardly any vocal in it.
    All The Things She Said is the Promo Edit (4:00)
    Stars Will Lead The Way is a to me unknown Extended Mix (4:31)

There may be other differences with the newer material, but as far as I can tell these are the major differences.

3. Megatof says:

Sadly, I don’t think “Street Fighting Years” (nor the next albums) will ever have its own boxset, but maybe “Street Fighting Years + Real Life + Good News from the Next World + Néapolis + Our Secrets Are the Same” could share a reissue with additional content à la “Rejuvenation” earlier this year? It could be a way to complete the discography, after “5×5” and the three individual boxsets.

4. Michael says:

Apparently the release has been pushed back 3 weeks here in the states… oh well. I can wait. But I think bands just want us to order from the UK to boost the chart entries, since they aren’t going to chart in the U.S. anyhow…

5. Stephen K says:

I did some thinking about this and I thought I came up with a solution… to the fact that they previously released a definitive, chronological, and more comprehensive singles compilation a few years back.

Want to do a 40th anniversary celebration? Drained the well dry of career-spanning bonus material? Consider doing a singles tour. And then your ‘anniversary release’ becomes a live CD of the tour. A period of singles (even just the first ten years would be fine), played in order, without skipping over any singles. Viola, you’re welcome.

Except… Simple Minds already has a live album out this year. And… it’s not related to the 40th anniversary! And this new compilation, which is, is to support a 40th anniversary celebration tour… which doesn’t kick off until next year! Have I got this right?

I mean, maybe I can spare some other band some logistical hurdles.

Immensely enjoying the new OMD boxset though!

6. Mo says:

Given how this “resurgence” is running on fumes fueled by Andy Gillespie and Mel Gaynor, I’ll pass given JK and CB’s obvious lack of loyalty to their band mates and weak current lineup. What a terrible unnecessary release.

7. Neil Parr says:

I wish they could have included the Gary Numan and Ade Fenton remix of Summer, it’d be nice for that track to get an official physical release. If it wasn’t for the new track this release wouldn’t be of much relevance to anyone other than a casual fan…

8. Ausmonty says:

Pardon my ignorance, but what does “Edit” mean on each song? Has the track been edited to fit on the LPs?

Yes, it mean the track has been edited from its familiar album version. Some will be single edits, some might not.

9. Chris says:

A very strange decision. Was convinced there would be a SFY box. I’d love a pro-shot or soundboard of an ‘89 show.
    Still think they could surprise us with something.

• Adey says:

I totally agree. I saw them at the bercy omnisports In paris on that tour. The fanclub advertised it as “to be filmed for a future video release”, unfortunately they chose to release verona instead :(

10. Wolfgang Mintrop says:

Absolutely unnecessary issue. One new song is no argument for buying this compilation. Would be an interesting one if one cd would contain stuff not being published up to now. The band should start some kind of ARCHIVE- or FROM THE VAULTS-series … I am sure that there is still a lot of interesting live stuff waiting for making every fan happy …

11. Wahmbeck says:

I like the many edits on this compilation. But I’m sad about that “Sign o the Times” is missing.

@Paul: Thx for this page. SDE is definately one of the internet pages I visit most often.

Thanks a lot

• mark says:

I agree. As a fan and a huge collector, it’s good to get many of the radio/7″ edits in one collection. It’s also a good starting point for younger fans who like their music but want a broad overview. Sure the SFY box set would be nice or a DVD reissue, but let’s give credit to a band still recording good music, touring AND coming to the States. Look around at their few contemporaries (doing this level of work) and then maybe offer a critique.

12. Alan Baldock says:

This looks like the sort of compilation you can pick up for a fiver in Sainsburys. I think I’d pass on it at that price.

13. Blakey says:

At least their murderous take on ‘Sign O’ The Times’ isn’t on it.
    Worst cover version of all time.

14. Karen says:

For people waiting for the Street Fighting Years. There is still hope, although ‘faint’ hope.
    Remember last year, 4 October, you sent Pauls website into meltdown, when he announced the Kate Bush boxsets. They were released end of November/beginning December.

The Blondie boxset which was promised. Faint hope.

Honestly, if nothing is announced within 2 weeks, its not going to happen for December

15. Robert says:

I’m disappointed that they didn’t release a deluxe edition of “Street Fighting Years” this year. This album celebrates it’s 30th anniversary this year. I don’t think that anyone is waiting for this greatest hits album.

• Neil says:

I completely agree with you Robert. To announce another greatest hits album and tour on the back of a totally unnecessary live album is just hugely disappointing. In fact Simple Minds at the moment seem to be hell bent on giving us anything except what we really want.The contempt they are showing for their loyal fan base at the moment is truly staggering.

16. The JoKerr says:

What an awful new track. This is not like anything SM Sound like. Thanks but no thanks.

17. James says:

The new track could simply be have been called ‘For One Play Only’.

It’s truly dreadful, with a video just a cheap reminder of what a great band they were decades ago.

18. Shane says:

I will never understand non-chono track listing on compilations (like the shuffle options didnt exist) bur for collectors, edits are a chance to finally own versions usually relegated to the 7″ singles, which never get reissued digitally. Unless these are new edits!?

19. Charlie Waffles says:

There are too many single edits on this. The cover is awful. Pass.

• Arnd says:

Are those “edits” even single versions or are they new edits for this compilation? I assume the latter since some tracks are explicitly labelled as “single edit”.

• Gerbrand says:

As I already commented way below these are all previously (7″) single and promo edits. ALL their previous compilations use these edits except the very first one in 1982, Celebration, which used album versions.

20. Alan Blevin says:

I would be a prime market for this.Casual Simple Minds fan owning 3 or 4 of the “classic” albums and would buy a good compilation covering their whole career.However this is not it because
    1Single edits are a joke.Do they think we have short attention spans or are racing towards the next ad break?
    2I get they have been going for 40 years but that is hardly a reason to restrict it to 40 tracks and leave 60-70 minutes of unused space across the 3 discs.
    3The sequencing is bewildering.Perhaps someone with more knowledge of the band than me can work out the pattern or logic of it.
    When I saw the heading this morning first thought was “that’s a definite buy”.After having a look at it there is no way.A better title for the compilation would be “Simple Minds For Dummies”.

• Chris Squires says:

It’s like the desire to have a certain number of tracks to tie-in with the anniversary is overwhelming. It’s the 40th anniversary, let’s have 40 tracks. But we’ll spread it over 3 CDs instead of 2.
      Can somebody remind the people who make these things that the idea of limiting the time of a disc to keep the quality high only counts for Vinyl. You CAN cram a CD to the brim y’know. It’s also happening in SDEs, which I can kind of forgive where on a 4 / 5 CD edition they limit the first disc to only the original album. But it is so wasteful, particularly if the album in question comes from the vinyl era and is only 38 minutes long. It would be an interesting exercise to take 20 or 30 multi-CD SDEs from the last 5 years and see which has the highest percentage of blank space. Mr. McCartney is a prime suspect. A 4 CD set with 150 minutes of material is not really on. In the modern, resource conscious age it should form part of their thinking, not all, just be part of the equation.

• Paul English says:

Single edits are essential and ideal for compilations like this.

You want album versions? Then listen to the album.

21. Dr Volume says:

I assume the mixed up timeline of the tracks is meant to be Jim and Charlie’s ultimate SM playlist. They’re putting old tracks and new tracks together in a way that they would do with a live set, so the newer tunes aren’t just relegated to CD3 and are meant to stand their ground alongside Love Song, Waterfront and Someone Somewhere in Summertime. – that works live because they’re an excellent band with a charismatic frontperson – but that probably works less well as a CD or a stream as you’re bunching together tunes recorded decades apart in different places with different musicians. Either way this oddly timed best of (they already have a new Live LP due next week don’t they?) to be fair is just a bit of promo for Enormodome dates they’ve got for next year so not for the hardcore Minds fans I guess

22. I’m excited by the news of new studio music by Simple Minds anytime. Regardless if it’s Charlie N Jim noodling, or full band bombast (ala BW555, Graffiti Soul, or Big Music) but I was bummed by the unfortunate timing of planning this “news” on the same day LIVE IN THE CITY OF ANGELS was arriving in stores (what better proof of how good the forthcoming tour will be in Europe?) Regardless, on my holiday list :)

TR

23. John McCann says:

By the look of the cover burchil and kerr could easily have retired on the revenue that they made from selling badges,

24. Stephen K says:

For a chronological survey of all their singles from the 70’s into the 00’s, get the 3CD version of Celebrate (well, all their singles you would logically need… you don’t need all the multiple versions of Love Song, etc. from remixed re-releases, right?).

Less tracks, jumbled play order for 40? The best thing about this compilation is the cover art… which is indeed nice.

When Celebrate came out in 2013, I couldn’t dump the Glittering Prize 81/92 compilation quickly enough! The same would be true with 40.

Not only did OMD give us a more comprehensive and up-to-date singles compilation this year, but they added in extra content (demos? please! early live sets? yum! video content? great!).

Not that there’s much for the band to do here. They’ve already put out live CD’s, acoustic CD’s covers LP’s, a great singles compilation, videos, demos… sure 40 years is worth celebrating, but in the end, age is just a number. I could certainly go for a reissue of their music videos, though. Their last video compilation is way out of print, isn’t it?

Alas, this compilation seems a bit simple-minded.

25. Andrew says:

This is the music equivalent of half and half scarves seen at football matches- utterly pointless, jarring to real fans to the point of annoyance and aimed at tourists or in this case, the Christmas gift purchase because someone remembers you like SM.
    They unfortunately bring these out every few years just as a Spurs or Everton do a DVD to celebrate one win or Harry Kane’s greatest dives. Will be in the reduced section and flooding the ‘pre-owned ebay section in January.
    Such a shame.
    Now go and check out OMD for how to do it!

26. Alan F Jones says:

This release is obviously to support the world tour also announced today and as a lifelong fan / collector / hi-fi enthusiast, I’m just looking forward to hearing more Minds tracks with the Abbey Road treatment. The full version of the single For One Night Only has a great intro and sounds very good streamed and played loud on Tidal, albeit I would prefer more keyboard than orchestral synth. Ordered the silver vinyl for now (sorry Paul).

27. Isaías says:

RIDICULOUS, NEEDLESS RELEASE !!!!

What a missed opportunity to have LIFE IN A DAY, REAL TO REAL CACOPHONY, STREET FIGHTING YEARS as deluxe boxes. Not a word anywhere about it so it seems it won’t happen anymore.

Someone said: “I’m waiting for 2020 and 2021. The fortieth anniversary, super deluxe box sets for Empires And Dance, and Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call.”

I thought about it sometime ago. What a dream !!!
    It seems Universal or Simple Minds itself do not mind to the unavailable material in the shelves.

28. David says:

I’m a big fan but they could have done something special for 40 years. Missed opportunity.

29. AndreasL says:

Surely you can fit more than 18 songs over 2 pieces of vinyl. Not as bad as the Editors though who managed to “stretch” 16 tracks over 2 pieces of wax on their soon to be released best of.

30. Tom says:

Instead of this there should have been a 30th anniversary deluxe version of SFY maybe with the complete Verona concert on CD and DVD as a super deluxe version. I’ll opt for the single CD version of this because of the new song but wouldn’t have needed another greatest hits/best of.

31. Paul says:

Well I wonder who sequences their studio albums then because the order of these tracks is awful. The flow will be awful.
    I’m usually a completist but for this it’ll be a 99p download of the new song (which is ok but disposable) and that’s it .
    Don’t want to get too down on SM though as compared to their contemporaries they are still producing and touring regularly. This will pay for the next studio album I’m sure

32. Steve Hill says:

I’m a big SM fan so always look forward to new releases especially Super Deluxe packages. The 3 separate album box set reissues they did were fantastic! Packaging always on point. Was happy with the OMD 40 year anniversary release…if this is SM’s package for theirs it’s a missed opportunity. I don’t want edits. 12” versions, B-sides, demos, more unreleased live versions. Fingers crossed for SFY boxset or something for fans to enjoy they don’t alreacurrently have…

• Derek Langsford says:

The 3 SM SDEs were very good in concept but each had their faults. NGD used the same 5.1 mixes as the 2005 DVD-A with 2 tracks sounding much different than the others (apparently no multi-track master but they didn’t try very hard to make them sound similar to the rest), SiR initially had a mono instead of a 5.1 mix on the DVD-A and had to be replaced, and OUaT had a couple of tracks that sounded like mp3 versions despite better-sounding versions elsewhere.

33. Elliot says:

I’ll probably hold off getting this and go with the 3 CD version of Celebrate for any of the edits that I’m missing.
    Does anyone know if the tracks on Celebrate were remastered?

The differences between this and the 3 CD edition of Celebrate as far as I can see:

Included on Celebrate but omitted from 40 (excluding the 2 then exclusive tracks):

Sweat in Bullet
    Ghost Dancing
    Promised You a Miracle (Live)
    Biko
    One Step Closer
    Stranger
    Stay Visible
    Rockets
    Stagefright

Other singles omitted from 40:

Love Song (Glittering Prize ’92 Single Mix)
    Let the Day Begin
    Midnight Walking
    Summer

34. Gerbrand says:

For the defence: all the edits are (7”) single versions/edits. Celebrate, the previous comp from 2013, had all these same edits. So on that account it’s not worse…

35. Ray says:

Wonderful! FINALLY a Best Of. The last “Best Of” was released a very long time ago … 5 years ?

36. Robert Laversuch says:

Seems superfluous barring that new track. And maybe the edits, whether needed or not. Will probably get it for the sake of having it. Would like to say something positive about the acoustic album, especially the live album with DVD. Didn’t think so before release but thought it worked very well. While I agree that the first seven or eight albums were the business I am glad they are still going and hope they will be around for many years to come.

37. DJ Salinger says:

One person who’s probably going to be a bit happier about this compilation is Mr Kenny Anderson.

New track ‘For One Night Only’ is a King Creosote cover. Royalties ahoy.

38. Joe Mac Pherson says:

I’m waiting for 2020 and 2021. The fortieth anniversary, super deluxe box sets for Empires And Dance, and Sons And Fascination/Sister Feelings Call. What this band released, just in those 2 years, is astonishingly good. Also, in many instances, remarkably innovative. I’ll be disappointed if Simple Minds fail to honor these marvelous productions, as they deserve it.

• Tom from FIN says:

Excellent point, Joe. Their saturation point, however, was definitely New Gold Dream. Unfortunately there seems no remarkable bonuses left. The 2016 deluxe box covered their peak I guess completely.

39. Reed says:

This is merely biting off Celebrate 3CD set, and badly at that. Looks like a money grab.

40. Jph Wilts says:

Surprised no one has mentioned what a terrible cover this is. I love the original by King Creosote, such a beautiful song. Check it out!

41. V says:

Really dreadful product – missing classics, edits and so out of order chronologically to the point of jarring.

Overall, I really never understand these kinds of lacking compilations. Most fans have all of the albums and probably prefer to listen to them in their entirety. When a compilation is desired, we can make our own with today’s digital options.

I’ve been enjoying SM’s output for the most part. One of the groups I most look forward to hearing about. Please just give us a new album of some quality material instead of a half-baked cash grab that I really doubt works.

42. thomas solimine says:

Utterly unnecessary. Do not need to hear anything by this band post 1983. Edit it down to that
    and you merely need to purchase Early Gold cd for $5 in a used bin.

43. Jpsanders says:

What two ‘waterfronts’, two ‘see the lights’, no ghost dancing? Should be called “40 reasons to cash in on your fans with a not very best, best of” but I guess that’s not so catchy ….

44. David Johnson says:

Ghostdancing, Glitterball, Sweat in Bullet, Kick it In, Home (probably others) – all missing?
    And a Greatest Hits Tour in 2020.

As other have said, 81/92 and Celebrate are much better as there’s no acoustic versions on those.
    Looks like a pension pot booster to me!

45. Arjan says:

What is meant with the ‘album version’ of Don’t You as in my view it never appeared on a studio album.
    Do they refer to the 12” version?

• Neil says:

It was on the soundtrack of The Breakfast Club.

• Steven Campbell says:

It means the album version as featured on the soundtrack album of The Breakfast Club, the film for which it was written. Granted it didn’t feature on a Simple Minds album but this is the album to which it refers I’d say. I’d very much doubt if it was the 12″ version which I have on vinyl and also have an excellent remix of by Jam and Spoon on another CD.

46. Henrik kirkegaard says:

I Think We need the Sfy box and not again a greatest album with rekord Breaking edits.

Paul you know if We ever Will see the sfy box which i hope Will include the verona soundtrack.

47. GTR says:

Bit disappointed with this. As has been mentioned below they haven’t released that much new stuff since the ‘Celebrate’ 3CD compilation (which is an excellent set).

I think they lost momentum after the ‘Big Music’ tour. I loved that album. The acoustic thing did little for me and ‘Walk Between Worlds’ had some great tracks but weak singles (especially the first one). And now another greatest hits. Wish they’d get the ‘Big Music’ line-up back together again and do some new music.

48. John Young says:

Ffs yet another greatest hits compilation how about a new album and one that doesn’t feel like it was turned out over a weekend

• Michael says:

They have been recording a new album. I imagine though that doing the “40th anniversary” thing means holding off on that for the moment to do something like this… Obviously not too exciting for fans who have most of the stuff already, but not surprising given the anniversary idea.

49. Auntie Sabrina says:

The udiscoverstore also have an exclusive silver 18 track vinyl edition for £27.99 plus p and p

50. patjoller says:

waterfront and see the lights are there twice because they added the acoustic ones.
    It’s a shame they put that package before the SFY one… if it ever gonna be released. But I think it’s a good excuse to go on tour.

51. Peter says:

Missed opportunity for the rare 12″ version Of Don’t You (Forget About Me) …

52. Martin says:

The Celebrate 3CD compilation came out in 2013. Since then they’ve done just two new proper albums (of which Big Music was effectively previewed on Celebrate as two “new” tracks). So another 3CD compilation to build on what is in reality one brand new set of recordings. For this you get one new track – which you know will probably end up on another format eventually. This is spreading the butter thin.

53. Alan B says:

Posted this in the “Out This Week” thread earlier before this dedicated Simple Minds thread appeared.

Simple Minds have just announced a new best of compilation for 40 years in music. There is an exclusive silver vinyl version available from Recordstore. It is £6 more than the regular black vinyl version which they also offer for sale. Perhaps someone at UMC can explain what it is in the manufacturing process for silver vinyl that increases the price by over 27%? I can remember the “good old days” (basically any time before 2016) when coloured vinyl versions cost the same as regular black vinyl versions.

54. gogandmagog says:

I count 40 tracks for the 3 CD set

55. Graeme says:

Just what the world needs – another Simple Minds compilation!

56. Larry Davis says:

I have the 3CD Celebrate little boxset, and that seems to have much more content than this…plus that this has many edits, much more coulda fit on here than just 30 tracks…plus it’s called 40, why not have 40 tracks?? Or 15 cuts per disc at least?? This feels quite skimpy…I’m keeping my Celebrate…

57. Steve Robertson says:

Waterfront & See The Lights on twice? That has to be a mistake…

• Christian says:

Also Glittering Prize, but this track and the two you mentioned are acoustic versions. I guess they must be pretty good to warrant an inclusion on the set. I do think it’s interesting that many versions used on this are edits. I wonder if any of them are unique to being on this set.

58. mike says:

I don’t mean to be mean, but how many GH compilations are they prepared to issue? Happy with mine from the late 90’s!