Sleeper / Smart anniversary reissue

Sleeper / Smart 25th anniversary reissue

Expanded CD & 2LP vinyl offer bonus tracks • Signed editions available

Britpop band Sleeper‘s debut album Smart is reissued for its 25th anniversary, with expanded editions available on coloured vinyl and CD.

The 1995 album features the band’s first sizeable hit ‘Inbetweener’ (#16) which created enough interest for Smart to be gold-certified (for 100,000 sales) in the UK. The band enjoyed even more success with 1996 follow-up The It Girl (produced by Stephen Street) although the backlash and toxicity around the ‘Britpop’ label by late 1997 hampered the commercial prospects of the final long-player of that era, Pleased to Meet You.

Smart was originally issued on Indolent (a subsidiary of RCA and BMG) and was reissued on CD by Cherry Red back in 2011. Since then, Sleeper have reformed and returned last year with a fourth album, The Modern Age.

The new Smart reissue offers the album on vinyl for the first time in 25 years, along with 10 bonus tracks. It’s a nifty looking 2LP package pressed on yellow vinyl and is available with a signed & numbered print from the official Sleeper store. A 2LP clear vinyl version (not signed) is also available.

The expanded CD edition includes the same bonus material and is also available signed if you choose to order via the band’s shop. In fact, there’s all manner of bundles and options including test pressings, signed tour posters etc., some of which are listed below.

Both vinyl & CD options include updated booklets/insert complete with new photographs. Smart is reissued on 5 June 2020.

Peruse the official Sleeper store, or see highlights below

Smart expanded CD

D2: Hymn To Her
D3: Big Nurse
D4: Ha Ha You’re Dead
D5: Bank

14 responses to Sleeper / Smart anniversary reissue

1. Anthony says:

Sorry to the fans here but I remember loving Inbetweener but being sorely disappointed by this album. NME warned me the week before that it wasn’t all that but did I listen ? No. Anyway like others have said here The It Girl was much better. A reissue of that might perk my interest….

2. Mark Jensen says:

The colored vinyl looks cool, and I like the digipak cd, but given that I already own the Cherry Red 2cd editions for Smart and The It Girl, what I’d really get a lot more excited about would be a reissue of Pleased To Meet You with it’s associated b-sides.

3. Shane says:

Really nice looking items and color choice of the vinyls

4. Sylent Syd says:

Hopefully The It Girl is not far behind, but I’ll definitely be grabbing this in the meantime.

5. Simonf says:

I can not believe it is 25 years since I first bought this album. I got it from my local HMV, a first vinyl pressing complete with a copy of the Alice EP 7″. (SLEEPLP 007A). I still have it along with the two 7″ singles Inbetweener and Vegas. So I don’t need this reissue thank you very much. 25 years! Shhhheeeezzzzzzz!!!!!!!

6. Tim Abbott says:

Interesting – enjoyed this back in the 90s and curious to see if it’s stood the test of time. The Vegas 12″ was a picture disc with a roulette wheel and pop-out casino chips which was pretty smart (pardon the pun).

I’m curious if they’ll have all four members sign this – Diid the original bass player has been out of the band and not part of the reunion and has sort of vanished.

Also of note is that Jon (Sleeper guitarist) is playing in The Wedding Present while their guitarist is on maternity leave, which is possibly the least rock n roll thing ever!

7. What? 2020? Worry? says:

Looks good. Nice bundles but will stick to Cherry Red copies.

If this was the 25th of the debut Elastica LP I wouldn’t hesitate.

• Kevin says:

Wasn’t there supposed to be an expanded reissue of Elastica’s debut once upon a time? I swear I have some memory of rumblings to that effect. I’d be up for that for sure!

8. Christian says:

I met Sleeper in Dallas back around 1996 when I worked for this music chain. The local BMG reps put on a meet and greet lunch with them to promote The It Girl. The turnout wasn’t that huge, but the label did supply some goodies promoting the band, one of which was a copy of their green 7″ titled Bucket & Spade, picture disk 7″ of Nice Guy Eddie and a U.S. promo CD single of Sale of the Century. I got myself two copies of the green 7″ (even had them sign the actual vinyl of one of them!), as well as the picture disk (think I had them sign that) and promo CD single. Memory is a bit fuzzy from that meet and greet, so I can’t recall if they performed any songs.

9. stephen king says:

Cheers Paul, ordered a bundle with lots of signed goodies. I loved this album at the time and had a great time jumping up and down on the tour then. They were still excellent when I saw them live playing some of these along with some new tracks before the Modern Age was released. Just a pity it’s 25 years since it came out as it doesn’t seem that long ago but this is out the day after I turn 50 so it must be…

10. Bruno says:

The Sleeper Store also has signed test pressings for sale. Nice touch for collectors

11. David says:

About the CD version: The Cherry Red reissue had 15 bonus tracks, this one only 10. The only thing this one had that the CR hadn’t is Alice in Vain 7″ version, and also this one seems to be a digipack, but I definitely think I’ll pass and be satisfied with my CR editions

• Francis says:

I totally agree and will be doing the same. The Cherry Red edition is much better. It has more tracks and is in the much preferred stronger jewel case, which can always be replaced it ever damaged.

12. Gareth Jones says:

Wow, they’ve crammed on the tracks for this. Other artists would do it as a 2-CD set. But then if all 22 tracks fit on one disc, I guess it’s better for the environment! Apart from the singles, I have to say it’s not really a great album (‘The It Girl’ is much better), plus the single version of ‘Vegas’ is far better than the album version, yet they’ve omitted that from the bonus tracks?!