Sophie Ellis-Bextor / Songs From The Kitchen Disco

Sophie Ellis Bextor / Songs From The Kitchen Diso

First ever greatest hits • Signed editions and exclusive vinyl

Sophie Ellis-Bextor will issue a new greatest hits called Songs From The Kitchen Disco in October. Signed vinyl, CD and other exclusives are available.
During the height of lockdown, one of the most genuinely entertaining popstar-at-home moments was Sophie’s Friday night ‘Kitchen Discos’. These were hilarious, often chaotic, singalongs with kids and family joining in the fun.

There is no track listing yet for this new release, but to quote the label it “will feature all of Sophie’s biggest and best-known disco hits in one place for the first time ever!” I do know that this will include a new recording of Spiller’s ‘Groovejet (If This Ain’t Love)’, which of course features Ellis-Bextor, but the other hits will all be original recordings. There will also be a new single on this album.

Song From The Kitchen Disco will be more widely available later, but for now you can order from the official online store which has signed exclusives, pink vinyl exclusive and more. You also get pre-sale access to Sophie Ellis-Bextor’s upcoming UK tour.

Song From The Kitchen Disco will be released on 23 October 2020.

Browse the official store for bundles, cassettes or see highlights below:

46 responses to Sophie Ellis-Bextor / Songs From The Kitchen Disco

1. Neil Kelly says:

Can’t see anything regarding a signed CD even when you click on her store. I even found an another edition which is stated to be sold out.

2. Matt says:

During lockdown I found her “performances” a real breath of fresh air-she’s great. Ordered.

3. hamicle says:

I like the artwork. It’s fun and colourful and a bit kitsch, but music is allowed to be those things. I’d buying it for the music contained within anyway.

4. Dan says:

Hi Paul, I posted a dream track list yesterday and forgot to mention “this would be my dream disco track list”, so without that you must have thought I was just posting a fake track list and not posted.

5. Richard Cosgrove says:

Gotta say, I love the cover. It’s very her :-)

I’ve already got most of her albums so won’t be buying, but the cover is a ray of sunshine and fun in a pretty dark world at the moment!

6. Metal Mickey says:

Sue me, but I genuinely like the cover! That kind of studied artlessness is more difficult than it looks to pull off, and based on the concept and title, I think it was a good idea for her to “lean in” to the whole idea and dive in head first with the sleeve design… I’ll be waiting for the track listing before ordering, but I’m pretty sure I’ll be buying it, nice one!

7. Guy.S says:

People offended by the artwork.. did you see the video’s during lockdown – just a bit of FUN created by Sophie to lighten peoples moods, and this record is reflecting that, you don’t have to buy it.
    On a positive note there are T-shirts on sale on Sophie’s site with the artwork and tour dates with proceeds going to Mind. (mind.org.uk) These look great ; )

8. seikotsi says:

Not that interested in the music (mostly because i only know one song), but I think the cover is so great I almost want to buy it :)

9. cdmaniac says:

I haven’t watched any of Sophies lockdown videos, but I find her delightful! Im In!

10. Stephen says:

I love the artwork, then again I painted my hallway purple and radiators yellow

11. Adrian KEEBLE says:

She did a lovely version of Our House (Madness). Very unexpected. I’d like to see that on the album.

12. Adrian Jones says:

Yes I ageee with everyone else here … Was
    Keen to look up this and As soon as I see
    The cover I thought it was discustingly
    Crap !!! Looks like something a group
    of children have scribbled . Someone
    Responsible deffinately needs sacking
    Here !!! A cover should compliment and not
    Just be an embarassment !!!

13. Brian Smith says:

Going by the album cover. It’s more kitsch-Inn rather then Kitchen

14. Shane says:

Jesus what is that cover? Is she trying to beat Lady Gaga for all-time worst cover art? It’s truly horrible!
    Ohmygod. It’s a joke. Right? Please say so.

15. joel ivins says:

one of the many things I love about this website, is that although I have heard of sophie, she is really not known here in the us…and thanks to sde, it reminds me and I then check out “new” people on my long drives to and from work…I love the album cover…very campy and obviously going for a specific look…reminds me of the disco compilations that were a bargained price of $5.99

16. Gus Campbell says:

That cover looks like it’s being marketed at toddlers, smh.

17. Karl Siniak says:

Is the new recording of Groovejet actually a thing?

I know it was on a different label and thus there were issues with Sophie including it on Read My Lips, but Sophie has stated that she negotiated being able to include it (in its radio edit form) on a Greatest Hits in the future… so really thought this release would finally see the radio edit appear on digital and streaming services for the first time, as it is inexplicably absent.

Regardless I am excited for the release and the artwork doesn’t bother me… it has a certain charm. I’m interested to see who has produced the cover versions, and also if this will be a Universal Music release (I’m guessing so as it features her hits) following several years on her own label.

18. Bryan says:

Oh that cover really IS vile… As will the sound quality of the vinyl be if it’s pressed by the company who usually press coloured vinyl… you know the one!

19. Super exited about this. I’ve been a fan since Murder On The Dancefloor, I kind of lost track around “Make A Scene” which I didn’t like, but her last studio album “Familia” is one of the best pop records of the last decade. She’s never had a proper Greatest Hits. I hope this one is complete and has some extra stuff. Getting this on vinyl will be a plus.

20. MikeT says:

Hi Paul et all. So glad this came out. I ended up buying the pink and blue vinyl purely to get a pic! Unlike others I don’t mind the cover TBF…

I think she is great and blows the likes of Kylie out of the water IMHO. Grovejet is a top end tune. It will be nice to hear the covers that she did in Instagram etc.

Thanks for the tip!

21. Wayne says:

It would have been so much better if at least some of these tracks were the live versions as performed in her kitchen over the 9 weeks, rather than just giving us the regular recordings we’ve all got already.

22. Ian Smith says:

Ugh, that’s one of the ugliest album covers I’ve ever seen. I know what they were aiming for, but that’s hideous.

Perhaps an affectionate ‘copy’ of one of those 1970s Top of the Pops compilations with Sophie in place of one of the dolly-birds (is that no n-PC?) would have been better.

23. RJS says:

I did see some clips of her kitchen parties. They looked like crazy, mad fun with kids climbing, dancing, crying and falling all over the place as SEB sang along to a backing track. Not really a fan but Groovejet is one of the best songs of the 00s.

24. Chris says:

Aww I love Sophie. A greatest hits was touted around the time she released Make a Scene but never materialised. Some fan-made tracklistings did the rounds including the brilliant ‘Off and On’ written by Roisin Murphy which I love. So I think the beginnings of Make a Scene were additional tracks for a planned greatest hits but I’m guessing a bit! Be interesting to see what makes the cut! (btw I met her briefly last year and she was very sweet and down to earth.)

• Michael says:

Speaking of Roisin Murphy, I wish she’d do a compilation. She has so many one-off tracks and guest spots floating around, she could make a double CD out of them alone….

25. George Stevens says:

Now we just need a theaudience box set!

26. Tim Abbott says:

Was a huge fan of her work in theaudience with that fella who’s on BBC London now, and her first two solo albums (which I don’t think were ever released on vinyl?). Haven’t paid much attention since, but this is worth a punt, I reckon!

27. Eamonn says:

Oof, that font. A bit 70s, garish for such a stylish lady.

28. Patrick says:

I hope that is not the final cover. A bit too much going on in it to my eye. Have been a big fan since the early days so will definitely be buying though.

29. Scott says:

She done a few good covers when she was doing her home disco sessions – Madonna’s Like A Prayer, Annie Lennox Walking On Broken Glass, Pulp’s Do You Remember The First Time, Kim Wilde’s Kids In America, New Order’s True Faith and Communards Don’t Leave Me This Way amongst them.

Hopefully some of these get included on the album. Looking forward to it – not everyone’s cup of tea but I’ve always had a soft spot for her.

30. Jason says:

Not sure how they expect to sell this without telling us what’s on it so I’ll wait with bated breath…

31. Thorsten says:

I hope “Move This Mountain” will be included.

32. Russ Thomas says:

Well this year alone we’ve had Glass Animals, Bright Light Bright Light and now Sophie EB. All three vying for the title of ‘Ugliest Album Artwork Ever’. It’s fair to say, Sophie’s on the lead by a country furlong. This screams “PLEASE DON’T BUY ME”. As much as I’d love to hear this album, I can’t have that artwork in my collection Spotify only for this one.

33. Rob C says:

Thanks for the heads up AND they ship to Australia for a very reasonable price! Despite no track listing, the price is right and her music is good fun so expecting this to not disappoint (though a re-recording of Groovejet is a bit annoying)

Now why can Townsend ship to Oz but not Amazon…

34. Gareth Jones says:

Well not strictly her first ever Greatest Hits collection. She previously released re-recorded orchestral versions of her hits on the album ‘The Song Diaries’. And it sounds like this collection will be some re-recordings too. So there still hasn’t actually been a Greatest Hits collection of the singles in their originally released versions!

35. Steve says:

Groove Jet is on a diff record label and they demand massive licensing fees for it apparently

36. James Giraffe says:

Interesting about the new recording of Groovejet.

I ordered the signed CD yesterday. I was surprised that no tracklisting was announced, so I did a fair bit of Googling. Still no tracklist, but I’m fairly sure I found an article that said it would also include some cover versions.

Anyway, whatever is on it, it will be fun, it’s signed and it’s nicely priced.