Step Back In Time with Kylie. Again.

Kylie Minogue / Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection

The Definitive Collection arrives in June

Kylie Minogue has announced details of a new hits round-up.

Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection is ostensibly released to tie-in with her 30th anniversary as a pop force and her slots at Glastonbury, Brighton Pride and various other festivals this summer.

Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection is Kylie’s fifth greatest hits, following 2012’s The Best of, and while there’s not much new to woo anyone who doesn’t have this stuff already on this latest collection, it will be the first to round up some of her later hits on vinyl, making that quite a desirable affair.

With 51 Top 40 singles, including seven number ones, the collection is a proper trolley dash around all the obvious biggies, but also features fan-favourites such as ‘Your Disco Needs You’ but omits stuff like ‘Chocolate’, ‘The Word is Out’ and I understand a petition is being put into action for its omission of the Manics-written ‘Some Kind of Bliss’.

There’s also a bonus of new track ‘New York City’ which is listed as a ‘hidden’ track, and it’s the first time ‘Timebomb’ has featured on a worldwide released album. The collection also follows the pattern of 2004’s Ultimate Kylie with predominantly Parlophone stuff on one disc and the PWL gear on another.

This double vinyl picture disc is exclusive to Kylie’s official store. Click image to pre-order.

The album will be available as a 42-track 2CD set, a deluxe of which offers enhanced packaging with a 32-page book hardcover book and there’s a trio of vinyl variants – black, limited mint green and picture disc (the latter exclusive to Kylie’s webstore) – each contain 20 tracks and come with a digital download code for all 42 tracks.

There is also a double-cassette edition (oh yes) which is available in five different colours. Like the picture disc, these are exclusive to Kylie’s store, which also offers various bundles. SDE must give a nod to the design team who have done a fantastic job on the cover.

Step Back in Time: The Definitive Collection is released 28 June 2019.

Kylie Minogue

15. RED BLOODED WOMAN
16. THE ONE
17. COME INTO MY WORLD
18. WOW
19. GET OUTTA MY WAY
20. TIMEBOMB
21. KIDS (WITH ROBBIE WILLIAMS)
22. STOP ME FROM FALLING

CD2

1. STEP BACK IN TIME
2. BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW
3. HAND ON YOUR HEART
4. WOULDN’T CHANGE A THING
5. SHOCKED
6. ESPECIALLY FOR YOU (WITH JASON DONOVAN)
7. I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY
8. CELEBRATION
9. THE LOCO-MOTION
10. GIVE ME JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME
11. NEVER TOO LATE
12. GOT TO BE CERTAIN
13. TEARS ON MY PILLOW
14. JE NE SAIS PAS POURQUOI
15. WHAT KIND OF FOOL (HEARD ALL THAT BEFORE)
16. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
17. CONFIDE IN ME
18. PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE
19. WHERE THE WILD ROSES GROW (WITH NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS)
20. NEW YORK CITY (HIDDEN TRACK)

Step Back in Time  2LP edition (includes download for 42-track version)

LP1

LP2

SIDE A

1. STEP BACK IN TIME
2. BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW
3. SHOCKED
4. I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY
5. ESPECIALLY FOR YOU (WITH JASON DONOVAN)

SIDE B

1. CONFIDE IN ME
2. PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE
3. 2 HEARTS
4. KIDS (WITH ROBBIE WILLIAMS)
5. DANCING

3. RED BLOODED WOMAN
4. THE ONE
5. COME INTO MY WORLD
6. WOW
7. GET OUTTA MY WAY
8. TIMEBOMB
9. KIDS (WITH ROBBIE WILLIAMS)
10. STOP ME FROM FALLING

CASSETTE 2

SIDE A

1. STEP BACK IN TIME
2. BETTER THE DEVIL YOU KNOW
3. HAND ON YOUR HEART
4. WOULDN’T CHANGE A THING
5. SHOCKED
6. ESPECIALLY FOR YOU (WITH JASON DONOVAN)
7. I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY
8. CELEBRATION
9. THE LOCO-MOTION
10. GIVE ME JUST A LITTLE MORE TIME

SIDE B

1. NEVER TOO LATE
2. GOT TO BE CERTAIN
3. TEARS ON MY PILLOW
4. JE NE SAIS PAS POURQUOI
5. WHAT KIND OF FOOL (HEARD ALL THAT BEFORE)
6. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
7. CONFIDE IN ME
8. PUT YOURSELF IN MY PLACE
9. WHERE THE WILD ROSES GROW (WITH NICK CAVE)

65 responses to Step Back In Time with Kylie. Again.

1. Michael says:

A Special 3CD Edition of Step Back In Time: The Definitive Collection is released 22 November 2019. Pre-orders can be found: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Step-Back-Time-Definitive-Collection/dp/B07YMFXD39/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=kylie+minogue&qid=1571336547&sr=8-2

2. Jimmy says:

Hey don’t Forget the duet with pet shop boys “in denial”, a pretty song

3. Kilburndanny says:

The mint green double vinyl currently £18.18 on amazon.co.uk.

4. KevinK says:

Looks like Kylie is destined to top the UK album chart this week (after the obvious Glastonbury/TV boost!).
    Sales so far (Friday to Monday inc): 23,984
    CD: 12,700
    Vinyl: 4,931
    Tape: 2,004
    Download: 3,922
    Streaming: equivalent to 427

5. Gary Matfin says:

I don’t know if it was just my download copy but I’ve just downloaded the mp3’s of the album and Timebomb isn’t on. It is listed but it is Did It Again instead in it’s place. I’ve sent an email to the company I downloaded it from to see if the record company had changed their minds

• Dave R says:

Not sure if there is a printing error on the deluxe hardback CD edition, but it appears to have one less track than the standard 2CD edition. Very odd.

• Rob says:

I also emailed support at the store and they have corrected it and I downloaded it again and now have Timebomb (and still have Did It Again obviously!)

• Rob says:

I contacted the support for the store and they updated the download with Timebomb. Also still have the download of Did It Again obviously. You could try redownloading if you haven’t heard back.

6. william says:

I like the cover art, but how many “Greatest Hits” sets has she put out so far?

7. Dennyelvis says:

Sloppy release imo? Definitive? Not even given a 2018 remastering? With so many old hits on it something remastered in 2004 lets say just isn’t good enough! Too many non hits for a casual buyer, we all love Kylie, but she’s not had a decent hit in years!

8. Paul Berney says:

Every time a compilation comes out, this happens. A ton of rants on why fans don’t need it. When will people learn that these albums are not made for fans, but casual listeners? I adore Kylie and her music, but even I’ve never collected every album she’s done.

I got Ultimate Kylie back in 2004 and it was epic. I since lost my copy and the DVDs were useless (Melted away, due to some error in pressing). I then got her Best Of 25 Years album with the DVD and love it. But Kylie commited a no-no with her studios by deleting a double-disc album and replacing with a 1-disc. Now things are being set right and us big casuals are being treated once again to a terrific double album, with even more than tracks than Ultimate, and also updated.

This is a must-have album for any fans of pop music. It’s not something to complain about. I agree that the deluxe CD set is disappointing, adding only a small book to the 2-disc album, rather than a DVD of her best music videos, or a bonus disc if more songs or remixes. Even a live disc. But for what it is, it’s a stunner. It’ll be nice owning a generous physical Kylie collection again.

9. Neill Havers says:

I’m a hardcore Kylie fan but disappointed with this release. Very little incentive to buy as I already have all the tracks apart from NYC which is a leftover from Golden and not as good as anything on that album due to her over processed voice on the track. Some major omissions from the album too including into the blue, if you were with me now and finer feelings. Why keep including celebration which is one of her worst PWL tracks? Shame they didn’t issue a 3CD limited edition for fans including bonus material which would have guaranteed my purchase. Awful artwork too!

10. Jakob says:

I would’ve bought this for the non-Christmas version of “100 Degrees” on a CD. People are pointing out this is meant for a broad audience, not fans… but why not both? It wasn’t a “hit” per se but I can’t imagine anyone in the casual market objecting to it when they heard it for the first time.

• John says:

Totally agree Jakob, a good opportunity to give Crystallize a CD release too.

• probablyrustin says:

A limited edition bonus disc would have been a nice treat in order to widen the set’s appeal. Casual fans could skip it, the rest of us would have something more real to tempt us rather than pretty piece of plastic with poorer sound quality than what we already own several times over (applies to both picture disc and cassette version). I’d say leave off the skipped singles (since most of those are easy to obtain) but maybe tracks like the remixed single versions of Finer Feelings, Where is the Feeling, Put Your Hands Up, etc. plus collaborations (the good ones – Right Here Right Now etc.) and rare/unreleased on CD promo tracks (Crystallize, Skirt, etc.). Missed opportunity unfortunately…

At least New York City is a bop though! Fingers crossed for some US shows – it’s been too long!!!

11. Alan B says:

The picture disc version is also available to pre order from Rough Trade. It’s a bit naughty when artist’s official stores advertise a version as being exclusive to their website when it is not. The same happened last year with the picture disc version of the Coral’s latest album. That version was available at all indie shops despite being advertised as a store exclusive pre release. I contacted Townsend Records who operate The Coral webstore and they promised to get back to me to clarify but they never did.

12. Jen says:

Sorry, Kylie no, Dannii yes.

13. Shane says:

Sorry Jim but that is just your opinion. The casual fan wont know the difference about the BIR mix either so dont use that to justify the exclusion of tracks you think were rightfully omitted.

14. Jim says:

People complaining about obscure cuts and duets and songs that weren’t hits miss the point of these compilations entirely – it is supposed to appeal to a broad audience, not trainspotters. Lifelong Kylie fans already own Impossible Princess and the casual radio fan has probably forgotten Bliss. I do agree however that the Brothers in Rhythm 7″ mix of Finer Feelings deserves to be here, as does Into the Blue which was an almost UK Top 10 hit (terrible parent album notwithstanding). Ultimate Kylie probably remains her best greatest hits album cover but this comes close – she’s nearly 51! Smoking hot

• Auntie Sabrina says:

Well yes, but the ‘Definitive Collection’ tag could have been used on a 3 disc set for us trainspotters Jim…

15. mattNYC says:

big fan here. i have her entire catalog (physical and digital) and i still ordered the picture vinyls which i’ll never play. the burlesque/retro design makes it an instant collectable. it’s already the #1 bestseller in vinyl on Amazon UK.

16. Michael says:

Had a listen. She sounds fine with pwl but without she cannot sing.

• David says:

Have you seen her live?
      Superb twice in the last 5 years at an arena and outdoor festival.

17. Larry Davis says:

I’ll buy this…no hits collection is perfect…always something missing…and the missing tracks you can compile and burn yourself on a CDR…I am not the type to have multiple collections, just one, and compile the rest missing from earlier collections and overlooked albums…as for the artwork, I like it, it’s a lot like US pop/country artist Sara Evans’ 2014 album “Slow Me Down”…

18. Angelo says:

‘Finer Feelings’ is the biggest omission in my opinion, especially that killer Brothers in Rhythm remix.

I own her entire discography, so there’s nothing for me here. A third disc with b-sides and rarities would make me buy it.

19. Paul Murphy says:

I just love the phrase ‘a proper trolley dash around all the obvious biggies’.
    Whilst here, off topic but since the word ‘Glastonbury’ gives me a tenuous entrée, does anyone else think it a bit off a disgrace that Ringo has never been offered the ‘Legends’ slot at Worthy Farm?

20. Dana says:

Love Kylie as much as the next guy, but since the dawning of the digital age virtually anything this woman has committed to any source–digitally or on tape–can be found on any amount of legitimate issues–hits comps, deluxe editions, CD singles, digital download. Not to mention that she’s one of those artists who has made SOOOOOOOOOOO much of her catalogue commercially available to her fans many times over–edits, remixes, single versions, alternates, etc. etc. etc. And the unofficial stuff is endless if anyone cares to perform a rather lazy net search. Whining about what ISN’T included on yet ANOTHER Kylie hits package (forget even starting a “petition” over what’s not included.) is childish.

21. Percy says:

What a QUITE GREAT mix of Kylie this is! All the obvious hits are here, but this should stretch to three cds surely to goodness (like 2009’s Madonna Celebration compilation should!), to contain (more of) her less successful nineties input, as not all of her studio albums are covered here at all (especially those put out in the ninetees. The Jack Savoreti duet, “Music’s Too Sad” would also have been a nice welcome addition here! But none of us can settle for everything (even if we still have the best of both worlds!). But in conjunction with this, people should settle her 1995 Hits compilation with purely her ninetees work! (then you should compare the missing material, whether big or not!). But this is still getting, to upgrade 2005’s 2 cd Ultimate (bringing her chart success story bang up to date!). What a great cover with a great title (very apt and appropriate it is too!).

22. Tony O says:

Golden was issued as a picture disc for £30 and the inference was it was very limited, it is now on their sale site for £15

• Bill says:

Yes Tony O, I thought that when they said ‘online store exclusive”. Then was lucky enough to go to the HMV signing of Golden, low & behold HMV had the picture disc. Not so Exclusive as it would seem!!!

• Mick says:

I complained to the official store about that. They replied that the printed picture joined with the picture disc was exclusive to the store, not the picture disc.

23. Shane says:

As a big fan to he honest i dont care about the track listing as i own everything already. Im hoping for decent design and photography. I like the artwork (not the ugly cassette tho!) it’s very Sinitta “Cross My Broken Heart” 7″ picture disc. The choice of FIVE cassettes is truly a genuine troll-act because nobody will (be able to) play them and look atrocious like some kind of knock-off perfume sample slip. I mean, you can keep those.
    I got myself the picture and green vinyls which ill never play. Cd ill get from cheapest store after it comes out.

24. Chris S says:

While I only know of a couple of her songs, I would still prefer a “complete” package with a minimum of all the released “A” & “B” sides, hits or not.

25. Stephen dC says:

I think the upshot of this is to release an ‘Anthology’ not a ‘Definitive’ or ‘Ultimate’.

If you have the four double CD Remix Collection then you will have practically the whole PWL Era. They could do the same with the ‘Indie’ years and era’s that followed.

[The same is true of Madonna]

26. John says:

Personally, I’d prefer a few more recent singles to be included, to make it a more updated version of Ultimate Kylie.

Maybe include….
    A Lifetime To Repair
    100 Degrees
    Crystallize
    Flower

I think these 4 in particular, although not big chart hits, have been overlooked in that they are classic Kylie and would fit in well on this album.

Maybe to replace….
    Celebration
    Tears On My Pillow
    Je Ne Sais Pas Pourquoi
    Got To Be Certain

• Ryan says:

Why would you replace one number 1 and two number 2s for non singles that are essentially rubbish?

• John says:

For the reasons I mentioned above. Chart positions don’t make a song rubbish either. It just means they’ve been overlooked by the masses. A Lifetime To Repair and Flower are certainly much better tracks than Kylies versions of Celebration and Tears On My Pillow. The same applies to a lot of artists, take the Pet Shop Boys…. Being Boring is one of their best songs but peaking at number 20 in the charts, does that make it rubbish? I think not. Overlooked by the masses, yes. For whatever reason.

27. probablyrustin says:

I find it odd that many folks are complaining about some of the biggest flops of her career being left off. Tracks like Some Kind of Bliss or Word Is Out weren’t successful enough for her last 2CD collection Ultimate Kylie, so why would they suddenly show up now when more albums are being covered. Your Disco Needs You is a pretty obvious addition – it’s become a tour staple and has always been a favorite of even casual fans. I will say it’s a bit tragic to not even nod to Kiss Me Once *at all* – Into the Blue at least chatted decently (better than anything from Golden) so Kylie must truly want to forget the era and its associated memories…

For me this release is a miss. There just isn’t enough to entice fans who already have Ultimate and the last few albums. One new track and a few reconfigured selections doesn’t really justify it. I’m a bit surprised and saddened that instead of a bonus disc they seem to think *colored cassettes and picture discs* are what we want… could have easily filled a themed disc with collaborations, top remixes, favorite b-sides, anything (I’m less in favor of a disc of flops that were excluded). Disappointing but I guess it appeals to the mass market enough, and can’t deny the hits within.

28. Troy says:

Word Is Out is always omitted. It was a hit in Australia. And Impossible Princess was big in Australia I know not so much in the UK but that album was a turning point. No Did It Again or Some Kind Of Bliss which I thought were bigger than Breathe. Really would lile 100 Degrees with Dannii on there. Hard to include evwrything and make everyone happy but some odd inclusions with Your Disco Needs You. Nice to see What Kind Of Fool.

29. Patrick Wray says:

Quite a few songs would have been nice to have on this. Yes a third disc could have done the trick. Be great if ‘Impossible Princess’ and the other self titled Deconstruction LP were to receive a deluxe edition each.

• AC says:

Kylie Minogue and Impossible Princess were released as 2 disc deluxe editions in 2003.

Yet in 2019 super deluxe versions would be great as there are a massive number of unreleased tracks from the Deconstruction era.

30. Matteo Leoni says:

One of the worst Kylie’s cover ever.
    I would have preferred a vinyl reissue of her 2004 “Ultimate Kylie”, and most of all a vinyl “Impossible princess”.

31. Darren says:

A great idea to release this now, with the Summer gigs etc. Nice to have all the different versions and Impossible Princess is represented with Breathe.

32. AC says:

Considering Golden has been a great success for Kylie this package is just too soon.

There should have been a Golden Tour Edition which clearly won’t happen now with new tracks an remixes – which have only been released digitally. Also the Summer / Autumn should see a Golden Tour CD/DVD/BD release, but there has been no evidence of a concert being filmed for this.

So many lost opportunities! This ‘Definitive’ collection should have been out at Christmas.

Sometimes I wonder who on earth is making these decisions!

Without doubt the deluxe package should have been a 3 CD set. Only then could this release be considered ‘definitive’. Being 35 singles are missing a third CD would have been easy to compile. I appreciate the price point on this is cheap but I am sure fans would rather pay money for something that was truly definitive – up to this point in her career! Here they are…

UK Singles

31. Keep On Pumpin It – Visionmasters
    32. GBI – Towa Tei
    33. Higher – Taio Cruz
    34. Beautiful – Enrique
    35. Right Here, Right Now – Giorgio Moroder

33. Damien says:

Breathe is from impossible princess Steve

34. Thorsten says:

Should have been a 3CD Set! There are too many
    singles missing!
    I‘ll buy the green vinyl!

35. Jason Forrest says:

‘Breathe’ is taken from Impossible Princess. A third disc of tracks like ‘Some Kind of Bliss’, ‘Did It Again’, ‘Word is Out’, ‘Finer Feelings’, ’Into the Blue’, ‘100 Degrees’, ‘Higher’, ‘Where is the Feeling’, etc. would have been well received. I would have loved to have curated this release. The artwork is fab as are the formats but the track listing could have offered so much more. My dream is to be involved in a project like this for Boy George and Culture Club.

36. Kevin M says:

Very nice packaging, terrible track listing, with good songs missed out presumably because they weren’t big enough hits?

If I had my way all her albums would be represented, the R. Williams voice would be edited out of Kids, and Can’t Get Blue Monday Out of My Head would be included. When she did that great mashup at the Brits years ago, coming out of a giant CD player tray, it was one of the best 4 minutes in pop history!

37. Chris Squires says:

That would make a damned fine watch, I would be surprised if there isn’t one made with that design. It’s beautiful.

As with most “best of”s I would have preferred if they had also done a deluxe 4LP vinyl to cover all the tracks. Some crackers have been missed off, but it is a tough whittle. Lift off lid, frameable print, 12×12 book, 4 crisp pastel coloured vinyl slabs. It is so obvious. Limit to 2 or 3,000 with the first 500 numbered and signed on the print and every one would have sold.

38. kook says:

Why on earth would ‘Some Kind of Bliss’ not be on there? Strange…

• Iain McCarthy says:

I believe it doesn’t appear on the Hits compilations as it was a bit of a flop at the time and almost derailed her career entirely. I like it though.

• kook says:

Yeah, it didn’t do very well but that was down to bad timing more than anything else. The world wasn’t in a very Kylie place in 1997 and even with the Manics’ involvement, it kind of got ignored amid all the Britpop and Spicemania.

I still think it’s one of her best singles though – shame they couldn’t find a space for it.

(‘Did It Again’ was pretty decent too. Ah well.)

• ChrisGa says:

For me, it’s still the best single off Impossible Princess.

39. ed says:

I dont like the cover at all, think it looks really cheap ( IMO)
    The deign of the cassettes Im also not sure about either.

This is just another cash grab, that is clearly obvious by the sheer amount of formats! as a tape colector I would possibly be tempted by a cassete bundle but there is no such thing o n the site which would mean if I was insane enough I would be forking out £75 for the set!…..
    So Im not actually gonna buy any of them as I just dont need this.

40. Steve Robertson says:

Im a big Kylie fan, but i wont be buying this. Not one track from the Impossible Princess album, which is a terrible decision as its one of her best albums.

• Iain McCarthy says:

It has ‘Breathe’ on it which was on the ‘Impossible Princess’ album. Although it is probably the single version which is inferior to the album version (single version was sped up).

• Dave J says:

There is a IP track – Breathe

• Rudi says:

I like Impossible Princess alot, but the record did not fare that well when it came out. So I can easily understand why there are no songs on this compilation from that album.

• Gareth Barton says:

Breathe is on the cd & cassette versions.

I’d rather have the full official Impossible Princess on vinyl… but I think this is the best possible tracklist.

Now where’s the unreleased demos disc, 5cd remix collection and b-sides compilation?

• Djordje Lennart says:

There is Breathe from ”The Impossible Princess”, but where’s Skirt, Into the Blue, I Was Gonna Cancel, Lhuna (with Coldplay, her Parlophone label mates at the time of release), Flower, Limpido (With Laura Pausini), Absolutely Anything and Anything at All, This Wheels on Fire from Ab Fab The Movie, Crystalize, Golden Boy (RSD 2014 Single), The Other Boys (with Jake Shears, Nervo and Nile Rodgers), Right Here Right Now (with Giorgio Moroder), songs from that mini album with Garibay, Moroder, Sam Sparro and Shaggy (probably her best stuff in a long long time), Higher (with Taio Cruz), GBI & sometime Samurai (with Towa Tei), Night Fever (from Christmas album)… They could’ve do a compilation just with these stuff, but probably we’ll have that after the next album or jubilee in a few yeras

• Chris says:

With the exception of ‘Into The Blue’ not one of those tracks we’re a hit (some weren’t even officially released) and therefore don’t deserve to be on a Greatest Hits package!