Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel / The Best Years of Our Lives 2LP coloured vinyl

2LP coloured vinyl with bonus tracks

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel‘s 1975 album The Best Years of Our Lives will be reissued as a deluxe 2LP coloured vinyl with bonus tracks on the second vinyl record.

The album was the first for the new line-up of the newly monikered band and features the classic single ‘Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)’ which reached number one on the UK charts in February 1975, preceding the release of the album by a few weeks.

Follow-up single ‘Mr. Raffles’ (Man, It Was Mean)’ was also a top 20 hit and The Best Years of Our Lives became the band’s biggest selling album.

This new edition is officially released – Bowie style – for the 45th anniversary (although they are surely a year late?), but offers more than the David reissues because a bonus LP delivers rough mixes, B-sides, single versions, acoustic numbers and live cuts. This is a coloured vinyl pressing with LP 1 pressed on blue and LP 2 on orange vinyl (a reference to the ‘Mad, Mad Moonlight’ lyric).

The Best Years of Our Lives will be released on 5 April 2021.

Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel

The Best Years of Our Lives - 2LP coloured vinyl

LP 1

Side 1

Introducing “The Best Years”
The Mad Mad, Moonlight
Mr. Raffles (Man, It Was Mean)
It Wasn’t Me
Panorama

Side 2

Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
Back To The Farm
49th Parallel
The Best Years of Our Lives

LP 2

Side 1

Make Me Smile (Some Up And See Me) [Rough Mix]
Another Journey [B-side]
The Best Years of Our Lives [Acoustic Version]
Mr. Raffles [Single Version]

Side 2

The Mad, Mad Moonlight (Live at Hammersmith Odeon14/4/75)
Sebastian (Live at Hammersmith Odeon 14/4/75)

16 responses to Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel / The Best Years of Our Lives 2LP coloured vinyl

1. Tim Abbott says:

Not interested in the band once the original lineup departed and Steve added his name to the billing, but a similar reissue of the first two (far superior) Cockney Rebel albums in this form would be very welcome.

Much prefer What Ruthy Said or Sebastian over Make Me Smile.

2. mitchell w feldstein says:

i still have this album and i think one or two others , i got to see them preform live here in the states opening for the kinks on i think the preservation act 2 tour. great show by both bands.

3. Paul Taylor says:

I was surprised Steve got bumped at the last minute for Michael Crawford in the lead for Phantom Of The Opera, so last minute in fact that he had already recorded the London Cast soundtrack album.
    This album has a bit of a sad memory for me. I had a good friend who asked me to transfer her vinyl copy onto CD about 20 years ago. It was the first time I’d actually heard it and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately she passed away about 3 years later, so anytime I heard any of it a lot of the good memories came back, as well as a bit of sadness. I’ll definitely be buying this.

4. John P says:

It’s not Yvonne Keeley or Twiggy. Photos taken by Mick Rock and asssume to be a model.

• jonathan stevens says:

from the forum on steve harley’s website:
      The pretty young woman on the cover of The Best Years Of Our Lives album is Birgit, a Swedish model (at the time). Birgit was/is married to George Underwood, who then was/still is a friend of Mick Rock’s (he took the shoot).

5. Ron van Rossum says:

Great album with one of the best tracks ever: Make me smile.

6. Erik says:

This is one of the reasons I love this site, getting introduced to musicians I’d not know of before. Not sure I’ll be getting this (tend to only buy CDs nowadays) but enjoyed this song.

Nothing more to add other than I think Steve is what Owen Wilson would look like with a normal nose.

• Fathomie says:

At last! Someone like me! Only buying CD’s in the mediums unmourned decline echo’s of the days when I was buying Betamax in its twilight (did it ever have a heyday?), then still buying VHS when DVDs literally overthrew the tape medium overnight! I was still buying vinyl when it was harder to find than hens teeth. I haven’t bought a CD in years, no point when they are all so badly mastered and badly QC’d. However, as my days of buying dead mediums shows, each, very much to their own and, given my track record, I’ll no doubt be buying CD’s when streaming means they’ve all but vanished..

7. Tony says:

A bit dear at £35, especially as I own the original so only an extra 6 tracks for me. Pity as it’s one of my favourite albums

8. Phil says:

I think it’s Yvonne Keeley who was Steve’s girlfriend around that time. This release has been put back. Was originally scheduled sometime in January

9. MrSka57 says:

Great album that stiffed here in the US. This LP edition will make a nice companion to the
    3CD + DVD set on my shelf.

10. Keith says:

I have the CD set from a few years back that included the whole Hammersmith concert as well as the 4 tracks from side 1 of disc 2 made an excellent companion to the Cavaliers Anthology.

Looks like the vinyl guys are missing out again not getting the whole Hammersmith concert

11. Dennis Mosen says:

Fantastic lp from a fantastic underated songwriter brilliant in concert also ordered thanks

12. Willy says:

Is that Twiggy on the cover?