Steven Wilson delays new album ‘The Future Bites’ until next year

Steven Wilson / The Future Bites delayed

‘The Future Postponed’

Steven Wilson‘s forthcoming album The Future Bites was scheduled to be released in June, but has now been pushed back to January 2021.

In a statement on his Facebook page Wilson explains that the current COVID19 pandemic has brought “unprecedented challenges” around delivering what is more than just some music, but a “high concept project” involving design, artwork, video and a tour production.

Therefore the album will now be issued on 29 January 2021, so that “everything can happen as intended.” It’s a long wait, although “new music and video” will start to appear again around October time.

Wilson says that the pre-order page for the various editions of the album will remain online, although he plans to take the limited edition deluxe edition off the site some time before it completely sells out, “in order to give fans simply not in a position to purchase at the moment a chance to get it nearer the time.”

Steven Wilson official store The Future Bites pre-orders:

4. 12 THINGS I FORGOT
5. EMINENT SLEAZE
6. PERSONAL SHOPPER
7. MAN OF THE PEOPLE
8. FOLLOWER
9. ANYONE BUT ME

20 responses to Steven Wilson delays new album ‘The Future Bites’ until next year

1. JR says:

The price of the deluxe edition is just staggering considering what you get. I’m not one for quantity over quality but still 40 minutes for the main album again considering the price is not much. The price is the same as King Crimson Thrak box set. The crimson set has 16 discs over SW’s 4.

• SimonP says:

The lack of comments on this story could indicate a lack of interest in this album. Whilst I quite like Personal Shopper as a piece of music, I find the subject matter of it rather alienating, like SW is taking the piss out of me for buying the very thing he’s trying to sell. Probably not a good choice for a lead single…

2. Myndforest says:

And another thing! Back in the days when I used to spend £5 on an LP and £1 per single released from it, artists made millions from album sales… these days with deluxe box sets of every album (whether it becomes a ‘classic’ or not) and being made available in multiple formats it can cost over £100 if you want to be a completist – plus many artists have cut-out record companies to put out their own product themselves… No-one will be touring so therefore it is still a level playing field… Some artists have done free or pay to view shows on-line which may be a temporary way to promote new products to an audience at home. Who knows how long until the venues reopen? When there will be a vaccine? When people will have the money to spend going out? Steven Wilson is usually quite productive so I would think he’d probably have another couple of albums ready by the time things get back to ‘normal’ so why not release as planned if it’s ready to go?

• Mark says:

With respect, the reason they can’t release it is because they can’t get all of the sets made, the main problem being the deluxe version. The question that has to be asked about the album is whether the concept behind it will still be valid when it is released. If I understand it correctly the album is about our consumer obsessions and the importance of ‘self’.
      I was a little disappointed that he didn’t confirm the postponement of the tour, I have tickets for the O2 and really want to go but will not be doing so if it goes ahead in September.

• Myndforest says:

My comment isn’t aimed specifically at Steven Wilson but a general comment on whether artists should release what is ready to go and forgo the tour that backs it up (and makes them the money)… I understand there will be issues regarding the logistics of pressing plants, printers, finishers and distributors (every stage!) but if venues shut down and can’t reopen – or will have vastly reduced attendance through understandable fear (which will make them unprofitable to run anyway) should musicians sit on the stuff they’ve already got in the can for a year to 18 months or until a vaccine or effective treatment has been developed and given to the population or should they still go ahead? – to give the production processes work (if poss) – shops product to sell and fans product to listen to and enjoy… it’s a tricky balancing act in this weird place we find ourselves in and everyone has to do what they think is best for them. Even if RSD goes ahead the queues will be r e a l l y l o n g if everyone is 2m from each other and making a life or death decision to buy vinyl takes the fun out of it for me a bit at present…

3. Myndforest says:

Back in the day albums were promoted by touring but record sales were where the money was… since streaming got in the way artists tend to make more money from touring than physical product. A survey I saw (on Peston) said that up to 40% of people would be unlikely to want to go to a concert (if and when venues re-open) until a vaccine is available. I think if the product can be pressed, packaged and distributed it would be better for artists to release their new product without thinking about a tour and maybe think about touring the next album in a few years time when the virus has abated…

• NabobOfDub says:

Surely if playing live is where the money is then it’s make empirical sense to delay the album until such a time there is greater certainly and clarity relating to being able to play live. Also no artist would release an album with the intention of not touring it.

4. Lee says:

*Steven (apologies)

5. Lee says:

I’m a little worried that this is a dangerous precedent. Businesses are struggling to keep afloat badly during this time and if physical product is going to be suppressed like this for a year or so, then those very record shops that depend on physical releases are surely at risk of going under. We have to keep the economy going within the confines of what we are allowed to do. I’m assuming that pressing plants will still be able to continue to run, as long as social distancing is observed (I’ve no idea if that is possible, but I would assume it is). But if other artists take this lead, then no new physical product is going to be available until things get back to “normal” – and that is very very worrying.
    Stephen Wilson has largely made an artistic decision with his release, and I’m not sure it’s the right one to be honest.

6. Alan Blevin says:

I understand but am still disappointed.New music is really a highlight in these dark times and the pace of releases is beginning to slow.
    The British Chief Medical Officer said today that the physical distancing rules will be in place for at least the next 12 months so what you have now is very much the new normal.
    To give you an idea of how difficult international touring will be the Indian cricket team is due to tour here in Australia in December/January.If it goes ahead they will have to quarantine at a hotel at the Adelaide Oval.All test matches will have to be played at that ground with no crowd.There is around $250million at stake in tv money so whatever logistics are needed they will comply with.No concert tour can work like this.
    Stay safe everyone.

7. Lee says:

The Present Bites

8. alan hansen says:

I certainly understand and respect this decision to delay, as related to the Covid19 Pandemic, however in a time when we could most use some modicum of light, art, creativity, and even distraction and/or escapism; I find this delay disappointing.

9. Julian says:

I suspect that people will be able to record at some point this year, but the ability to tour seems to be an ever more distant prospect, this side of a vaccine.

10. Salamander says:

I ordered ‘The Future Bites’ some time ago and was immensely looking forward to it. The decision to delay is understandable and I will not cancel my order. Much like concert tickets, I am OK with the prospect of future ‘consumption’ of this “high concept project” in the understanding that the cultural sector is one of the most severely affected. A new album is so much more than the ‘mere’ music. It feeds an entire ecosystem of promotion and production (video and artwork, tour, equipment, transport, etc.) that is now at a complete standstill. Furthermore, there is still so much existing music to explore and enjoy. I just hope that Steven will have time to do some more remix work of his own stuff, especially since his own back-catalog has been severely neglected.

11. Sean Hewitt says:

I presume this will mean the postponement of the UK concerts as well.

12. Gisabun says:

Bummer!

13. Cris says:

What a kind thought Wilson has had for what concerns the Deluxe Box.
    I myself am unable to sometimes afford or, more often, to only think of purchasing goods that are not essential at the moment. And I must consider the situation for what will be my capabilities also in the long term, i. e.: economically, even though at the moment my only concern is everybody’ s health (to the point that I would keep the lockdown) from which anything an be rebuilt in the future.

It refers to something VERY superfluous and I guess expensive, yes, and therefore only to a certain segment of people who can afford it in the first place, but it is in any case a not commonplace nor much diffused thought towards fans for something they may care about.

14. Long Live The Past says:

I can see this happening more often as releases are delayed due to the closure of recording studios, pressing plants, warehouses, record shops etc and artists are unable to tour to support their releases.