Supergrass / The Strange Ones 1994-2008 career-spanning super deluxe box

Supergrass / The Strange Ones 1994-2008 career-spanning super deluxe box set

12″ box set containing vinyl records & CDs • Six hours of unreleased audio

Supergrass‘ career-spanning box set The Strange Ones 1994-2008 is now more widely available for pre-order.

This set contains all six albums on vinyl picture disc and on CD, along with four further CDs of live material, a two-CD set of remixes, B-sides and rarities and a final CD of unreleased demos, outtakes and ‘oddities’.

That’s a 19-disc set made up of 13 CDs and six vinyl records; in fact, make that 14 discs since a seven-inch single with ‘Caught By The Fuzz’ / ‘Richard III’ 2020 remixes. The label (BMG) claim “over 6 hours of previously unreleased audio material”.

Supergrass: The Strange Ones 1994 – 2008 (click image to enlarge)

In the box with the discs are a 42-page large format book, four colour posters and six ‘Supergrass is 10’ button badges (perhaps sitting in a drawer for the last 15 years?!).

The label are selling these sets direct from the Supergrass shop with a signed photo for £150, although if you can do without the band scrawl there are savings to be made and as you can see below Amazon Germany have this for the equivalent of £126 at the time of writing, which is reduced further (no VAT) for those ordering outside the EU.

As well as the box set there’s a reverse-chronological 26-track, 2LP Strange Ones collection as well as a single CD edition (which is five tracks shorter, curiously). Both are compiled by the band.

The Strange Ones 1994-2008 will be released on 24 January 2020.

Supergrass

The Strange Ones: 1994-2008 [VINYL]

Supergrass

The Strange Ones - 2LP vinyl

Supergrass

The Strange Ones - CD edition

In the box set:

2-part, rigid, 12″ x 12” x 3″ box, matte laminate outer finish with hot foil cover text, containing:

6 LPs
– 6 x original albums as picture discs: I SHOULD COCO (UK #1, 1995) / IN IT FOR THE MONEY (UK #2, 1997) / SUPERGRASS (UK #3, 1999) / LIFE ON OTHER PLANETS (UK #9, 2002) / ROAD TO ROUEN (UK #9, 2005) / DIAMOND HOO HA (UK #19, 2008)

13 CDs
– 1 x 6CD set – All 6 original studio albums in new digipack
– 1 x 4CD set – Live (5 hours of previously unreleased, career-spanning performances: radio sessions, full live shows and acoustic sets)
– 1 x 2CD set – Remixes, B-sides, acoustic versions and other rarities
– 1 x 1CD set – Demos, out-takes and oddities (all previously unreleased)

7” single
– Caught By The Fuzz / Richard III 2020 Remixes

Book
– 12″ x 12″  52-page book. Story of each album, written by separate journalists: Everett True, Charles Shaar Murray, Sylvia Patterson, Andrew Male, Adam Sweeting and Paul Moody. Quotes from new band interviews with Matt Everitt. Unseen photos and memorabilia.

Colour posters x 4

Supergrass is 10 – button badges x 8

The Strange Ones 1994-2008 – 2LP vinyl edition

Side 1
1 Diamond Hoo Ha Man
2 Bad Blood
3 Outside
4 Rebel In You
5 Tales Of Endurance (Parts 4, 5 & 6)
6 St. Petersburg

6 Alright
7 Caught By The Fuzz

Tracklist:
1 Diamond Hoo Ha Man
2 Outside
3 Rebel In You
4 Tales Of Endurance (Parts 4, 5 & 6)
5 St. Petersburg
17 Late In The Day
18 Sun Hits The Sky
19 Mansize Rooster
20 Lenny
21 Alright
22 Caught By The Fuzz

78 responses to Supergrass / The Strange Ones 1994-2008 career-spanning super deluxe box

1. PeteC says:

Fortuitously, having used them previously for the limited edition blue vinyl of OK Computer I had an email from JPC de last week offering me a one-off 30% discount which enabled me to order this for £113.08 delivered.

2. Wax Monster X says:

Ugh! More over priced frippery. When all I wanted was the next 2 albums in deluxe CD sets like the first one. Bet those pic discs are chock full of fidelty. You’d think they were Hipgnosis sleeves. Seriously. Why?

3. Brendan says:

Just for the record, when no one was looking, back in 2015, I bought the band’s entire run of albums on used CD (great condition, all) for the princely sum of US$1.34 (plus shipping.) So, not sure I need to have this box, but thank you, Paul for helping me to feel better about taking a pass.

4. Tim Barton says:

It honestly does not look like its within my budget. Nice, probably, but I can’t see myself getting it-unless I win a lottery. I would love to have the individual albums, or even just a CD set, but it looks like that that won’t be happening.

5. steve says:

Does anyone really like Supergrass anyway? File under Dollar – the collection

6. Shaun says:

I am also disappointed with their choice to go with picture discs. I’m hoping a reissue of the individual LPs will follow this release.

7. Gareth Jones says:

Regarding the reverse order of their singles on the ‘best of’ compilation. The average greatest hits CD will kick off with the biggest, most well-known and most popular singles, then towards the end you’ll hear the more forgettable and average singles.

By doing it in reverse, it becomes more like being at a gig (the bands tend to save their biggest hits for the end portion of the show). Plus the CD will start off quite weak then just get better and better! I’m in favour of it in reverse actually!

8. Stephen Gilmour says:

Picture discs…nothing to see here..Love along everybody

9. Tim Abbott says:

I’m gonna blow some minds here: the majority of purcashers will be people who like picture discs and don’t want to treat a piece of pop music like it’s a priceless museum artefact. The quality difference between normal vinyl and a picture disc is negligible to the average punter, who’ll be playing this and enjoying it because Supergrass are/were a band whose music was fun.

If you want your music collection to be kept under glass and looked at but never touched or played, perhaps Supergrass are not the band for you?

Is the ‘average punter’ going to spend £150 on a Supergrass box set? Your logic is baffling because picture discs are designed to be LOOKED AT. Whereas the complaints are from people who want to actually play the records.

• Stuart Ansell says:

All coloured vinyl and picture discs are made to be looked at, it’s a trade off between aesthetic and audio quality.

I am with Tim on one thing, the last few picture discs I’ve bought I genuinely haven’t felt there was any difference in quality from the regular editions, the king crimson live ep and the HMV record day Goodbye Yellow Brick Road both sounded GREAT- so I don’t see that this differs hugely from any other mixed media release – I get the arguements for seperate boxes for the cd only and vinyl only boxes – but then you’d get the likes of me who are happier with mixed media…

Can’t win them all!!!! I still think that at £126 there’s a lot of content, but you pays your money, you takes your choice – I’m happy to pay the price for this, but it’s not for everyone, nor should or could it be.

Isn’t it wonderful that we’re living in a time that we’re so spoiled for well curated releases from great bands that this is a debating point?

Have a good week everyone, happy listening!

• Tim Abbott says:

“Is the ‘average punter’ going to spend £150 on a Supergrass box set?” – thinking about it, they probably are. The demographic of said punters is the 44-50ish music fan who was around during Britpop, bought a few Supergrass singles and albums, has a bit more disposable income these days and is probably getting back into vinyl. The quality of picture discs is secondary to sound quality, because the music’s still good.

Add a nostalgic tour to the mix and there’s who’ll be happy to cough up that much.

Saying that, I don’t doubt there’ll be some individual black vinyl editions available before 2020 is out.

• JC says:

I believe “the average punter” just wanted nicely done copies of their albums because the originals are exorbitantly priced and extremely difficult to find in NM condition. Picture discs always sacrifice some sound quality, and judging by the pictures above and the thickness of the box…they won’t even be providing the original jackets or inner sleeves. These picture discs are a huge way to cut some corners.

• Wayne C says:

I’ve just clicked pre order, I don’t like picture discs as already said but I love the self tilted album that much and it’s so expensive to buy second had I’ll give it a go. They may not release it again and I’m not willing to take the risk if they don’t.

• Timm Davison says:

Would those people be more into the music of…Superglass?
      Sorry, had to do it!

10. Andrea says:

The art department must have seriously racked their brain when they came up with the cover for the… ehm… anthology LPs/CD.
    Such an original concept ;)

11. Auteur55 says:

I’m buying to get the albums (I try and get rid of jewel case single cd’s when I can) and the b-sides, rarities disc. Sure hoping it wraps up all their good b-sides as it’s a little frustrating there has been no track listing released. Yeah I could care less about the picture discs as well but personally I’m just glad the cd are included and it’s not just vinyl. I’m always worried labels giving up on CD only has it crossed anyone’s mind that combining vinyl and cd in one mind is them thinking they’re appealing to everyone?

12. Miguel Rocha says:

This looks like a bargain but where’s the marvellous single We Still Need More? Or am I suffering from selective blindness?

• Tim Abbott says:

We Still Need More wasn’t a UK single. It’s nearly their best song, but it was only a B-side (to Late In The Day), so I guess it’ll end up on the B-sides compilation. The single release was a multi-artist EP with songs taken from the (excellent) Dead Man On Campus soundtrack.

13. Ian Gair says:

Really looking forward to 6 LP Pictures Discs and the Bands Scrawl + Supergrass is 10’ button badges (perhaps sitting in a drawer for the last 15 years? ) Why?? Because it compliments the 2019 LTD 10″ Picture disc and honours the promotional badges issued around supergrass is 10 album ~ on a postcard, CD, or Fridge magnet. Then there was the LED Frisbee for Life On Other Planets or the fluorescent space stickers and lets not forget the In It For The Money Banknotes. Yes I ordered one of the the rebel in you signed 7″ by them in 2008. Perhaps its sleeve was an indication of their feelings towards being marketed https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebel_in_You

14. Gareth Jones says:

I won’t make yet another comment about the picture discs, as l feel that’s been given enough coverage. So formats aside, why on earth don’t they want to reveal the full music content yet? I bought the Blur 21 box set because l knew exactly what an amazing array of B-sides, demos, live tracks, unreleased tracks and rarities l was getting for my £140 or whatever it was l paid for it at he time (and you could buy either CD or vinyl box sets!).

But here, beyond the albums, we have absolutely no idea of what these 6+ hours contain. That’s surely the juicy carrot to dangle and tempt you with opening your wallet for an expensive box set, and yet still no tracklists have been announced!! I have all the B-sides (l bought all their CD singles back in the day), so c’mon Parlophone, beyond some live tracks, what else are we getting? I feel, like the 2nd album, they’re only in it for the money.

This is coming out on BMG by the way, but agree with your sentiments. The 2CD of B-sides, acoustic versions and rarities will surely be content from CD singles, with only the demos disc likely to have properly unreleased studio audio. The unreleased stuff is probably mostly LIVE which for me is a bit…meh.

15. Neil says:

I only really liked Moving probably because that riff keeps me in mind of Dogs by Pink Floyd.

16. Richard says:

Hi Paul, Did my (yet to be approved) post about this and the German price (admittedly on another thread) prompt this bespoke one by any chance? If so you’re welcome! If not, what timing!

Thank you for your post Richard. Much appreciated. I could see this was appearing on many retail sites and your comment was indeed great timing.

17. poptones says:

Friendly price for a box set with 6 LPs and 7 CDs.
    I guess picture discs means LPs are added for collectors and CDs are for listening the music.

It’s an interesting choice because they could have created a vinyl box set and a separate CD box set. Like Kate Bush for example.

18. Mark McKendrick says:

Shame this wasn’t all-CD – or at least an all CD-alternative. Bye.

19. Timm Davison says:

OK, I agree with everyone else. Not thrilled about picture discs, but seeing as there’s loads of extras and some sweet packaging, and it’s dirt cheap, I’m gonna pre-order it. Thanks Paul!

20. -SG- says:

If only the Depeche Mode box were done like this… grrr.

21. noyoucmon says:

I don’t “do” Blu-ray audio, DVD audio, 5.1, or any of that hogwash, but I buy plenty of boxes that include it all. When you think about it, most of your albums sit and “gather dust” for most of your life, so what’s a few picture discs you don’t play?

• Derek Langsford says:

I have begrudgingly bought some boxes with a single vinyl (several Fleetwood Mac, Goldfrapp) to get hi-res discs or 5.1 mixes, but 6 vinyl LPs is too much for most of us who prefer digital formats to pay for, store, and “gather dust.” Combining lost of vinyl with digital discs is a deterrent to many potential purchasers who prefer digital, from purchasing such a set. I won’t even consider the Supergrass box for this reason alone. The Beatles boxed sets have been done right, offering multiple versions but keeping formats separate so everyone can pick and chose what they want. Calling blu-ray, DVD Audio and 5.1 “hogwash “makes it sound like you either have either not heard these audio formats or heard them on a decent system capable of delivering click- and pop-free, immersive music of exceptional fidelity.

22. John says:

I would purchase a 13 CD collection without the vinyl/poster/badges for a reasonable price. But will give this a miss because of the unnecessary extras included to justify a higher price point. Like the recent Heaven 17 set, separate CD and Vinyl boxes would have been good solution.
    Also I don’t need another Greatest Hits and I hate reverse-chronological collections and always make the effort of putting back in the correct order on my MP3 player before listening.

23. garax says:

I hugely want Supergrass on vinyl – and I look forward to seeing them Live next year but picture discs – correct me if I am wrong – are never at the top end of audio quality wise. I’d cheerfully pay £20 or so for a copy of Road to Ruin – it’s blisteringly expensive for a second hand copy – I just hope that that they plan to also have normal vinyls out there eventually.

24. Larry Davis says:

I want this set too…I know people hate pic discs, but I have no prob with them…the German price went up from 126 to 147, still better than $224 US for the signed box from their direct website, plus the fact the band is touring, I’ll have no prob getting it signed anyway…I’ll wait to see if the price fluctuates…but I do want this set…wonder when Paul will do a write-up on the 3 Kim Wilde SDEs of 1st 3 albums by Cherry Red out in January??

25. Kauwgompie says:

Paul, I know you hate the CD+ vinyl complaint and when it is in a Ramones, Alphaville or Fleetwood Mac package, I have no problem with it. You only get one vinyl disc that you will never use. Ok, I can suck that up for the sake of making those boxes viable for the labels.
    This is a different story. I now get 6 entirely useless vinyl discs stuffed down my throat. Why not sell a vinyl box and cd box separate? Had this been a CD only box, or a CD + 1 vinyl disc box, it would be a no brainer, but paying for 6 vinyl discs you know you will never use is pushing this into “no thank you” territory for me. A real shame, I would have been totally on board with a CD box set.

• Electric Sydney says:

I’m happy to have mixed formal in the package, I happen to use all mediums. Even if I didn’t, I still appreciate having the vinyl to examine and play if I want.

26. Robert says:

‘Moving’ from the (self-titled) third album gave me a glimmer of hope when I was dealing with my father’s death in ’98. Still a great song from a decent album, but hard for me to hear without being taken back to a raw time. On a lighter note (well, any note would be lighter), this looks like a nice release, if perhaps a tad too comprehensive yet still lacking 5.1 mixes (Steven Wilson’s golden touch would be most welcome). Plus, with few exceptions I don’t much care for live albums, and I’ve always thought picture discs a goofy concept. BTW, is there really a dedicated fan-base that’s sufficiently large to justify this kind of release? Just asking. Anyway the 2 x LP collection will probably suit me just fine.

27. O(+> Peter B says:

When they split up the NME reported that they had recorded 17 new tracks that they decided not to release (NME said “just leak it”). No sign of that on here. A great band but I’m happy with the CDs I have.
    Incidentally, Mickey Quinn has been playing bass in Swervedriver for the last few years.

28. Ross Baker says:

Surprised / disappointed that there’s not at least a rough mix of Release the Drones on there. That would make the box an immediate purchase. Very rarely do I give live material more than the occasional listen so this actually makes for comparatively slim pickings in terms of unheard material.

• Caroline says:

IIRC, they’d split from Parlophone by the time “Release The Drones” was being recorded which would be another reason for its non-inclusion.

29. gogandmagog says:

13 CDs great, but same problem of many recent SDEditions…same that MUSE, that really hurts

30. Wayne C says:

Lot of consensus on here about the vinyl!, why didn’t they do some market research and ask fans what they would of liked. Is it to late for them to release this with black vinyl – probably , hopefully someone from Supergrass will read these comments and do something to remedy this situation. I don’t have one picture disc in my collection and have 1,000s of records. They are such a brilliant group hopefully the powers that be will see sense!!.

31. Steve says:

The picture discs put me off too.
    I’d much rather black vinyl, or even better coloured splatter vinyl to match the covers.
    It’s not a bad price for the content, especially the German amazon price, that’s a bit tempting actually.
    But still, picture discs?

32. Gary says:

I recall buying (I think it was) their second CD,
    Possibly a 2-disc limited edition.
    It was unlistenable.
    I struggled to get through it for just the one hearing.
    What should have been an enjoyable experience was marred by ear piercingly shrill mastering.
    A common problem with new releases back then, if I remember correctly…
    There may be more reasons to avoid this box set,
    than the forced vinyl purchase.

33. KB says:

Love this band, extremely underrated and In It For The Money’s is one of the best Indie albums of the 90’s . What a shame it’s not just a standard black vinyl
    Complete boxset1? Hope they re issue them a stand alones (which I’m certain they will next year)

34. James says:

On the fence about this. I never picked up two of the albums, and I’m sure I would enjoy the live discs/ b-sides, etc. But the vinyl would just sit there gathering dust. Great that the band is doing this (it looks like a lot of work went into it), but I wish they had separate vinyl and CD versions, so that the fans of each wouldn’t be forced to buy a format they won’t use.

35. Andrew Greenwood says:

Suspiciously, my 20th Anniversary I Should Coco 3CD set has a whole disc named Demos/b-sides/out-takes/curios and I wonder how much of the tracks are also in the bonus CDs above (despite the previously unreleased tag) or if they are just missed out. I also cannot find any mention of remastering, which makes me worry that there is none, leaving the CDs identical to the ones I already have. They already have a load of cash from me for the Alexandra Palace gig next year so that may be all they’ll get.
    I’d have bought a vinyl-free set despite the repeats (probably) but can’t be doing with the 6 picture discs (along with everyone else apparently)
    Alternative 2CD deluxe versions of the last 5 albums would also work for me, but perhaps the later ones wouldn’t sell enough compared to disguising them in a single box. I’ll wait and see.
    I have a lot of box sets on my hopeful-list-for-Black_Friday already

36. Dave Beaney says:

Would love this with blu Ray and 5.1 mixes. Vinyl well ok if you must but picture disc vinyl no way.
    Is on one out there looking at the XTC / Steve Wilson sets and the plaudits they are getting!!

Peace and love✌

37. Sylent Syd says:

Being from Canada, I’ve been hunting a long time for vinyl copies of their 2nd and 3rd albums. Seeing as the combined cost on Discogs isn’t that much less than buying this box, I’ll gladly pre-order this set.

38. Also, I believe the release date is January 24, 2020, right?

39. JC says:

Picture discs???
    ***puts credit card back in wallet***

40. I would love to own this but the picture discs are a drawback. (I have all of the original albums on vinyl anyway.) The live CDs and rarities are what make this appealing. Comes to $162 USD at this point and that’s not in my budget… if it comes down to $120 then I’m in!

41. Rick says:

if only they weren’t pic discs, it’d be an automatic purchase for me.

42. Regan Judson says:

I wish these weren’t picture discs but hopefully they sound good. It seems picture disc audio quality has come a long way in recent years so fingers crossed. This is a great price for the content.

43. Charles K. says:

Was really hoping they would just continue releasing their catalog on black vinyl like their recent debut re-release. I wouldn’t mind a separate CD box but not this where I’m forced to buy a bunch of gimmicky pic discs that sound terrible most of the time. Hard pass on this one. Really disappointing.

44. Franky says:

I would have purchased this box set it only CDs. I have no interest in all the albums being on vinyl LPs as I just would not bother playing them. I do not see the point in having 6 CDS and 6 LPS with all the same tracks! If released as CDS the only in the near future I will definitely purchase it but until then I will not be spending over £100 for a box set with vinyl and duplicate tracks. When I heard about this release being issued on the radio by Supergrass themselves I was really looking forward to it but now I am very disappointed.

45. Eamonn says:

Was wondering if you would cover this, Paul! I don’t know why they haven’t revealed the tracklisting yet, I did ask on social media (even tweeted Mick Quinn, the bassist, but he didn’t know).
    I’m not going to buy until I see if the content on the 6 bonus discs makes it all worthwhile. Colour vinyl LPs might look nice but they don’t play great!

46. Wayne C says:

Love Supergrass – self titled album is one of the best albums ever in my opinion. I would buy this for sure but I don’t want picture discs, coloured vinyl at a push but picture discs are just a waste of time. If it was on normal vinyl you could take my money now !!. Who makes the decisions to sell them with picture discs!.

47. DonnieBiscuits says:

Picture discs for the audiophiles out there..

48. John Murray says:

Oh man, here we go again. One of my favourite bands and so basically this is a ‘must buy’, except I don’t ‘do’ vinyl!

This trend for combined CD and vinyl sets is driving me nuts. I’m probably older (late 50’s) than a lot of SDE folk and I sold my collection of over 500 vinyl albums and my turntable back in the early ‘90’s and I have been ‘CD only’ ever since.

I can’t face going back to vinyl again now!

49. jazzmaster says:

Ughhh….why mess up something otherwise great with inferior picture discs? The record industry never ceases to amaze in the ways they find to screw things up!

50. Jan Pieter says:

Going Out not included, why not…..?

• Caroline says:

Not terrifically popular with the group, it seems. Well, at least not since Gaz let on that he wrote it about Danny…

(PS – count me in for a CD only edition with no pic discs – not that I expect this to happen)

51. Rob says:

Yeah, shame they’re picture discs if they’re not going to be in original artwork sleeves. A bit sick of record companies not noticing the vinyl rebirth is in part about people interested in the artwork and therefore still wanting the record sleeves.

52. Ryan Sinclair says:

I so want it, but who on gods earth in record label land keeps on thinking fans want Picture Discs ahead of ‘normal’, excellent remastered vinyl? I have the first two LPs but keen on getting the rest, but I might wait to see if they separate the items in the long run?

53. bret says:

Any info on mastering? Were the LPs sourced from tape?

54. Kaiser Mayhem says:

I would have been very interested in just a cheaper 13 CD (only) set…I no longer collect vinyl. Also not a big enough fan to care about the additional swag, so I guess I’ll wait and hope…

55. Peter Rustin says:

Another box with a bunch of vinyl that I don’t need. I wish they would just offer CD only versions.

56. AndreasL says:

Still not sure if the reverse order of the greatest hits is a good idea in this case or not, and is preventing me ordering the vinyl. Would have been better chronological or with a bit of effort on a better flow sequence. I’ll ponder over it . . .

• Theo says:

I thought the same thing when i first read the track order. Then I thought about it and, given their consistency over the years, I don’t think there’s a track order that wouldn’t play well.
      It’s neat that they tried something different, I suppose.

The box set looks great, but with coloured vinyl included, i’m afraid it’ll sound like trash, so I’m probably only on board for the LP.

57. AndreasL says:

I’m not big enough a fan, but this is a fantastic release. Tempting though . . .