Tasmin Archer / Sweet Little Truths – The EMI Years 1992-1996

3CD anthology • Remastered albums • Rarities and remixes

Cherry Pop will release Sweet Little Truths: The EMI Years 1992-1996 a new Tasmin Archer anthology that brings together both her albums for the the label and rounds up B-sides, remixes and live material.

Archer’s first single ‘Sleeping Satellite’ enjoyed a two-week spell at number one in the UK singles chart in October 1992 and in hindsight, this was probably a blessing and a curse. She had a few more minor hits from her first album Great Expectations, but ‘relations’ with EMI soured and sadly her brilliant second album Bloom (1996) never reached the wider audience it deserved.

Produced by Mitchell Froom and recorded and mixed by Tchad Blake, Bloom has a great pedigree and sounds fantastic. It benefits from two-thirds of The Attractions – Bruce and Pete Thomas – playing on every track, along with Froom himself and guitarists Steve Donnelly and John Hughes. This is excellent grown-up melodic rock/pop but it bombed. Quite how EMI let singles such as ‘One More Good Night With The Boys’ and ‘Sweet Little Truth’ languish at the lower reaches of the chart, is a mystery.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Archer parted ways with the major label and didn’t make another album for 10 years (2006’s On). Not much has been heard of her since.

This new triple-CD set is very welcome and features remastered and expanded versions of both albums, the complete ‘Shipbuilding’ EP, and various other rarities.

Sweet Little Truths: The EMI Years 1992-1996 is released on 18 September 2020, via Cherry Pop.

Tasmin Archer

(Acoustic Version)
SEA OF REST
STRINGS OF DESIRE
REAL OH SO REAL
SLEEPING SATELLITE
(Acoustic Version)
IN YOUR CARE (U.S. Radio Edit)
LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH (Radio Edit)
ARIENNE (Radio Edit)

DEEP DARK TRUTHFUL MIRROR
ALL GROWN UP
NEW AMSTERDAM

CD 3: ONE MORE…

SLEEPING SATELLITE
(Extended Version)
LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH (Remix)
RIPPED INSIDE (12” Version)
THE HIGHER YOU CLIMB (Remix)
WHEN IT COMES DOWN TO IT (12” Version)
RIPPED INSIDE
(Ben Chapman Mix)
SLEEPING SATELLITE (Fitz Mix)
IN YOUR CARE (Live)
LORDS OF THE NEW CHURCH (Live)
STEELTOWN (Live)
MAN AT THE WINDOW (Live)
AFTER HELL (Live)
RAIN FALLING (Live)
SLEEPING SATELLITE
(Rock Version)

42 responses to Tasmin Archer / Sweet Little Truths – The EMI Years 1992-1996

1. Mister Stick says:

Tasmin Archer slipped right by me when “Sleeping Satellite” was a hit, though I remember a pal of mine doing backflips over her at the time.

“Bloom” I never heard of, let alone heard. But thanks to the raves here – in article and comments – I gave it a spin on Tidal and yowza… You weren’t jivin’. Terrific record, beautiful sound, especially “Memory” which would have been a dynamite single.

Thanks for the tip.

2. Geof says:

Based on the comments here, I’m guessing a lot of people aren’t aware she released a third studio album called On in 2006 on the Quiverdisc label. A bit hard to find but it’s around. Also of possible interest are two compilations: EMI’s 2000 Premium Gold Collection which contains a number of rarities including some that fans have mentioned are missing on this new release, like “When It Comes Down To It” (live) and other acoustic/remix versions, and EMI’s 2009 The Best of Tasmin Archer, which also includes remixes, 12″ extended versions etc.. I haven’t cross-referenced both of those with what’s on this new set, but check out the details on Discogs.

3. Arikanas says:

There are 2 more SS versions from the US promo which are not included – only the rock version is here.
    Not so different from the original – different l, rockish, drum track and some electric guitars are added.

4. Jerome G. says:

How will we be able to get this in the US? The amazon.co.uk link says that it won’t ship to America! Ugh. I MUST have this. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Tasmin Archer, she is one of my all-time favorites, and if the only song you know is “Sleeping Satellite” you are in for a treat. “Bloom” was one of the very best albums of the 90s in any genre.

• James says:

There’s a link to Amazon USA in Paul’s post. Thanks Paul. I have to wait one more day until August 1, because I’ve gone so far past my July budget already!

5. Urs says:

Oh, nice! I basically only know “Sleeping Satellite” but love it enough to give this a try. (Your description of the second album also helps, Paul. Sounds really interesting!)

6. James Giraffe says:

I’m really looking forward to this. I ordered it from Cherry Red the other week. It comes with a free postcard, not signed, unfortunately (unsurprisingly).

I was looking her up on Discogs and discovered that a few remixes from the third album were available as free downloads from her official website, so I had a look. They’re still available!

7. Dave T says:

SLEEPING SATELLITE (Fitz Mix) is a little piece of gold, right there. ❤❤❤

8. Larry Davis says:

Always loved that first album, strong material throughout & “Sleeping Satellite” still gets tons of play where I work & in other stores…”Shipbuilding” is a nice EP with Costello covers…as for “Bloom”, wanted it over the years but no US release and expensive import…finally available on my Amazon streaming, so I got to hear it, brilliant album…almost was gonna buy cuz it’s cheap now…but now this Cherry Pop set, which I’d now rather have…but Amazon US not available & Amazon UK not shipping it to the US…either will have to wait for availability or order direct from Cherry Red or the SDE store if you sell it, Paul…btw, my Ace of Base box & TFF booklet finally arrived…worth the deadly wait…now what to do about TA, hmmm…

• James says:

Hi Larry, I just checked, and it looks like Amazon US are carrying this one.

• Larry Davis says:

It wasn’t avail when I first checked…but when you mentioned it was, I checked again…and it is…ordered!! Thanks much…

9. Darren says:

Sleeping Satellite is one of the most underrated songs ever, pure class.

10. Mark Franklin says:

I had the pleasure of working with TA extensively in the early 90s. My favourite was a film I presented at the Greenwich Clock Tower to promote Lords of the New Church for a tv show called The O Zone. I also bet her that SS would be number one, she disagreed I don’t think any blame lies with EMI about singles from Bloom languishing, ultimately the public didn’t buy them. Maybe they released the wrong tracks as singles. One More Good Night is an absolute gem.

There’s a suggestion that EMI didn’t like the album and didn’t get behind it. Don’t know how true that is.

11. Phil G says:

Thanks, Paul – your enthusiastic recommendation of Bloom has convinced me to place an order for this (via your link, of course!)

If Tasmin happens to be reading these comments – I’m sure an interview with Paul around the time of release would be appreciated by him and by us, his readers. Paul’s an excellent interviewer and has a great track record in discussing even the most sensitive of subjects.

Thanks! I have asked Cherry Red if she’s available/willing to be interviewed. Let’s see what they come back with.

• James says:

I’d love an interview too. Also, any chance of a ‘behind-the-scenes’ article on running the SDE site itself? I’d love to learn about how it all works from day to day.

12. Seanl says:

Just purchased ” Bloom ” on the back of your comments Paul as I wasn’t even aware of the record, £3 on Ebay, hopefully a bargain buy :)

Let me know what you think!

• SeanL says:

Played the “Bloom” album through several times and I’ll be totally honest with you I actually prefer it to the “SS” album ! Musically it’s fantastic and Tasmin really flows within the tunes, her singing really moved on with this album
        Thanks for the recommendation Paul :)

13. gary oliver says:

.. i was forty before i realised Tasmin and Tamsin were two different names

14. Neil Hunt says:

Great little box set that rounds up most of the b-sides, and mixes with just a few tracks missing (Some US remixes of Sleeping Satellite and a few live tracks). Hopefully being remastered, the first album should sound great compared to the original CD.
    According to Tasmin’s social media there will be new music coming later this year. Also, apparently she was approached by Cherry Red Records to be involved with this release but she refused and wasn’t at all interested!

Can’t understand why an artist wouldn’t want to be involved in their own ‘legacy’ but there you go…

• Todd R. says:

Most of the time an artists work is leased (er licensed) to another label, they are taking on the work, promotion and manufacture of the product. The artist doesn’t necessarily have a say in what they are doing. (Check out the liner notes when they actually “Thank” the artist – that’s why). I get the feeling that if the label making the set doesn’t want or feel they need the artist… well then they aren’t involved. Or, sometimes the artist might be offered a fee to help curate etc – but lately the fee has been close to nothing…. I say good for her.

Yes, I do know how it works. The point is, as an artist, you have chance to influence the product and the presentation etc. When I did the Sam Brown box, she was delighted to be contacted by me and was really helpful. She supplied demos, wrote notes etc. It just enhanced the product and made it far more interesting for fans.

• Ralph says:

If working on old material makes a lot of bad memories resurface (which must be case with the second Album) then I can very well understand her reluctance/desinterest. As a writer myself I have one or two old Projects I would not want to be involved with again – I just don’t want to relive all the bad stuff that happened.

I’m pretty sure she’ll be very proud of that second album.

• Craig Hedges says:

There are a few interviews with Tasmin on the web where she explains that she found the fame side difficult to deal with, suffering writers block on the second album, family events and relationship break down. Also around this time EMI hierarchy was constantly changing hence the lack of interest pushing the second album. So no it doesn’t look like she has happy memories of this time. A real shame as she had a great voice, pity EMI didn’t team her up with Guy Chamber instead of Robbie, imagine her singing Angels.

• Colin Harper says:

I’ve come across one or two. The most frustrating, for fans, is the first Mahavishnu Orchestra (1971-73) – the absolute pinnacle of rock music, in my view. Sony has perhaps half a dozen multi-track concert recordings that have never been released and seem unlikely to, due to a perfect storm of factors: leader John McLaughlin is (famously) almost wholly interested in today/tomorrow, not yesterday, so he would never ‘lead’ any archive project; some ex members purportedly feel that the royalties Sony would offer are derisory; one ex member feels that his playing on one of the concerts (which circulates as the bootleg ‘Wild Strings’ – and is simply astonishing in every respect) is below par; another ex member, Jan Hammer, is wealthy and doesn’t need the money anyway, and he and John parted acrimoniously in 1973… The only ‘new’ archive music that has officially come out are two disc’s worth of music that will have been covered by existing Sony contracts: an aborted 1972 studio album and a disc of extras from the two concerts recorded for the 1973 live LP ‘Between Nothingness & Eternity’. There are, I suspect, many Mahavishnu fans that wish a figure like Robert Fripp (vis a vis legacy projects) had been in the band!

Apparently the Thompson Twins had no interest in getting involved in Edsel’s reissues in 2007

15. Matthew Ganoe says:

Frustratingly, the U.S. version of the ‘Shipbuilding’ EP included a very nice live version of “When It Comes Down To It” that is not included here. :-(

16. Kevin Wollenweber says:

Wow, this is an artist that I only knew by name; I never had the opportunity to hear her albums, but this sneak “peek” has me interested. I mighgt do this as an impulse buy once I can buy it through Amazon in the U.S..

17. Mike the Fish says:

What’s the 12″ version of Ripped Inside like?

18. alan hansen says:

I am NOT the biggest fan here, but this nicely and neatly wraps-up all my full-length and cd-singes, EP’s, etc into a tidy little bundle. YES!

19. CJ says:

Looking very much forward to getting this when I can find a place that will ship to the states. I’ve been a fan ever since I first heard “Sleeping Satellite.” I own both of the proper albums included here, but remastering and all the rarities make it a no-brainer for me.

20. joel ivins says:

i first heard her in berlin when the first album came out…always enjoyed that album, but by the time i came back to the us, she had faded from my memory…will be anxious to hear the live tracks…thanks for the heads up

21. David C. says:

Sleeping Satellite grabbed me hard when it came out and I still listen to Great Expectations periodically. Looking forward to this set!