The Black Crowes / Shake Your Money Maker 30th anniversary reissue

The Black Crowes / Shake Your Money Maker super deluxe box set

4LP and 3CD super deluxe editions

The Black Crowes‘ debut, 1990’s The Black Crowes Present: Shake Your Money Maker, will be reissued next month for its 30th anniversary through UMe/American Recordings.

Shake Your Money Maker sold over five million copies and features the singles ‘Jealous Again’, ‘Twice As Hard’, ‘She Talks To Angels’ and a cover of Otis Redding’s ‘Hard To Handle’.

The album will be reissued across a number of formats, including 4LP and three-CD super deluxe editions, which include the original album, remastered; three never-before-heard studio recordings; two unreleased demos from the band’s early incarnation as Mr. Crowe’s Garden;  B-sides and a 14-song unreleased concert recorded in their hometown of Atlanta, GA from December 1990.

A two-CD deluxe features the remastered album and the disc with unreleased songs and B-sides.

Shake Your Money Maker 4LP vinyl super deluxe edition (click image to enlarge)

Liner notes are by David Fricke and the large format 3CD set and the 4LP super deluxe come with reproductions of an early Mr. Crowe’s Garden show flyer, setlist and tour laminate; a four-inch Crowes patch; and a 20-page book.

The good news is that Target in the US and Rough Trade in the UK both have digi-pak editions of the 3CD set (e.g. without the extra ‘stuff’) which are less than £20 (or equivalent).

Brothers, and band founders Chris and Rich Robinson, with original producer George Drakoulias, have overseen the creation of the re-release.

The Black Crowes Present: Shake Your Money Maker is released on 26 February 2021.

The Black Crowes

Shake Your Money Maker 4LP vinyl super deluxe

The Black Crowes

Shake Your Money Maker 3CD super deluxe

The Black Crowes

Shake Your Money Maker - 2CD deluxe

Shake Your Money Maker 4LP box set

LP 1: Shake Your Money Maker (2020 Remaster)

Side One:

1 Charming Mess
2 30 Days In The Hole
3 Don’t Wake Me
4 Jealous Guy
5 Waitin’ Guilty

Side Two:

1 Hard To Handle (With Horns Remix)
2 Jealous Again (Acoustic Version)
3 She Talks To Angels (Acoustic Version)
4 She Talks To Angels (Mr. Crowe’s Garden Demo)
5 Front Porch Sermon (Mr. Crowe’s Garden Demo)

LP3 and 4 The Homecoming Concert: Atlanta, GA December 1990

1 Struttin’ Blues
2 Words You Throw Away

Side Four:

1 Stare It Cold
2 Jealous Again

Shake Your Money Maker 3CD super deluxe

CD 1: Shake Your Money Maker (2020 Remaster)

1 Twice As Hard

CD 2: More Money Maker: Unreleased Songs and B-Sides

1 Charming Mess
2 30 Days In The Hole
3 Don’t Wake Me
4 Jealous Guy
5 Waitin’ Guilty
6 Hard To Handle (With Horns Remix)
7 Jealous Again (Acoustic Version)
8 She Talks To Angels (Acoustic Version)
9 She Talks To Angels (Mr. Crowe’s Garden Demo)
10 Front Porch Sermon (Mr. Crowe’s Garden Demo)

CD3 The Homecoming Concert: Atlanta, GA December 1990

9 Hard To Handle
10 Shake ‘Em On Down/Get Back
11 Struttin’ Blues
12 Words You Throw Away
13 Stare It Cold
14 Jealous Again

42 responses to The Black Crowes / Shake Your Money Maker 30th anniversary reissue

1. keith says:

Here are all the tracks from the singles which along with the Mr Crowes Garden tracks would have made a brilliant CD2 in this set:
    Twice as Hard (Remix) (3:53)
    Jealous Again (Acoustic Version) (4:37)
    Jealous Again (Live) (4:45)
    Could I Have Been So Blind (Live) (3:44)
    Jealous Guy (Live) (4:24)
    Waitin’ Guilty (3:03)
    Twice as Hard (Live) Paradiso, Amsterdam
    Stare It Cold (Live) Paradiso, Amsterdam
    Hard To Handle (Remix) (3:02)
    Dreams (Live) Greek Theatre (8:24)
    Stare It Cold (Live) Greek Theatre (5:45)
    Sister Luck (Live) Greek Theatre (5:38)
    She Talks To Angels (Live Video Version) (6:10)
    She Talks To Angels (Acoustic Version) (6:10) (6:19)?
    Could I Have Been So Blind (Live) Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (3:50)
    She Talks To Angels (Live) Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (5:38)
    Sister Luck (Live) Greek Theatre (5:05) edit?
    Jealous Again Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (Live)
    Hard To Handle Mobile Recording by Westwood One Radio Networks (Live)

Another missed opportunity

2. Paul Wren says:

It seems a bit light on unheard material, i.e. more demos and tracks that didn’t make the cut first time round. I’ll hang on for a separate release of the live show on vinyl in due course.

3. Mark says:

Pre-Ordered mine at Resident Brighton, but the real gem would be Southern Harmony.

4. Ron says:

Thanks for including a link to a reduced packaging option. I for one hope this trend catches on..

• WILLIAM ENGLAND says:

I totally agree – especially when issuing 20/30/40/50 year old albums, what could make “extras” a reason for people who bought the album first time ’round to buy again? What do they think 40/50+ y.o.s do with patches/badges/posters that come ready folded so it’s pointless framing them???
      *sigh*

5. Michael1984 says:

I loved this LP when it came out…then I heard the Faces and never needed to listen to this band ever again. I see the box set come with a patch, why didn’t they add a scarf and some marbles too?

6. Richard Bowden says:

This is my favourite Black Crowes album – when they were young, raw, liked each other more and did less drugs. After this I slowly lost interest. I saw them perform this album supporting someone in the UK (who WAS that?) the next week they were No. 1 in America….
    I have, over the years, bought everything associated with the album that I could. So I am a bit disappointed at this “deluxe” edition – “thin” someone else called it – and I agree.
    They could have included the live B sides (different venues than the concert included) including a cover of “Dreams” (Allman Brothers) only released on vinyl.
    There is also the Twice As Hard (remix). I would have liked all these included (and there was space) to make it a proper deluxe. And that is without knowing what else they COULD have included. Still, £20 for a 3CD is OK and a lot better than is often offered, so thank you for the cheaper 3CD alternative.
    BTW – She Talks To Angels (acoustic) is almost worth the price alone…….

7. Pingback:SDE Reissue Preview for 2021 | superdeluxeedition

8. Uncle Meat says:

Never thought that the Robinsons would be back together again after their split. But it seems the money makes the world go round… Steve Gorman’s book is highly recommended.

Anyway, The Black Crowes made only great albums starting with this one. However, this SDE seems a bit thin to me but perhaps I’ll have to surrender in the end.

9. Dave Sullivan says:

Brilliant debut album, saw them at Barrowlands in Glasgow in mid 90’s. Fantastic live.I see the remastered album has an 11th track’ Mercy, sweet moan ‘ , that wasn’t on original album release

• Gerbrand says:

Mercy, Sweet Moan does appear on the original release as 11th track, but is not listed on artwork and cd label. It appears as being titled “Don’t Wake Me” in a media player, and as “Live Too Fast Blues/Mercy, Sweet Moan” on discogs. It’s a studio jam of about a minute, nothing to get excited about.

10. Kiwi bob says:

Glad the 2cd edition has the bsides etc. on disc 2 instead of the live show.

11. Joe Donato says:

I completely forgot about this album and it’s 30 year anniversary. It certainly is a rock solid debut. I remember when Hard to Handle was a current hit in 91, the local Chicago rock radio station, The Loop, played the horn version all the time. Since then I have not heard that version in 25 years. I will be picking this up for the rarities and am pleasantly surprised to hear about the 3 CD version from
    Target.

12. Larry Davis says:

Dug the first 2 albums, then they transformed into, like, a horrible, boring, even jammier version of the Grateful Dead with no good songs…then they split down other tangents and I just threw up my hands and unfanned them…I have nothing against bands changing or evolving, I want that to happen, but not into boring directions or music…this album was great, but I don’t collect the band, nor do I buy randomly, so it’s a skip…if this was their only album or two, I would be…nope not anymore…

• Christopher Merritt says:

I agree generally with this – although for me it starts dying after Amorica (I did pick up the RSD reissue of Lions, which is a bit of a strong effort to return to well-crafted songs). But yeah – the jamming/Grateful Dead/Phish inspired long, rambling stuff… Ugh. No thanks. They “were” an incredible band for a brief time though. Steve Gorman’s book is highly, highly recommended. Imagine telling Jimmy Page. “No thanks – we don’t really need your help or further involvement.” Yikes.

• Adam says:

I too agree but after two ‘jammy’ records, Amorica and Three Snakes, had a renaissance with By Your Side that again focussed on tight soul-ly songs. But I have stayed with them through the years with ever diminishing returns.

And Paul, Seeing Things was also a single and a great one too.

13. Paul says:

I’m a bit bummed out there is no single disc remaster…

14. Dave R says:

Will be up for this. Saw them open up for the McAuley Schenker Geoup in the States early in 1990 on one of the first tours they undertook in support of this record. Odd match up, but they were great live. As were MSG with the master Michael Schenker.

• Tom m hans says:

I remember them opening for Neil Young in Europe promoting Lions in a huge arena…. (Broken Arrow Tour)…. sort of a disappointment after a club tour for the 2nd record which I prefer over Moneymaker).

15. Bernard Reynaert says:

I know this is not related but there’s something that bothers me. I wanted to buy the limited David Bowie single Mother/Trying to get to heaven from one of his official sites There was an extremely limited cream coloured version and a simple black one. Both were immediately sold out but I bought one from jpc.de. They charged me a fictional amount from my credit card of 0,01 € (instead of 16,99 €). Is this a normal practice or do I have to worry?

• Eamonn says:

Happens sometimes even with amazon, like a test payment.

• John F Berning says:

That is normal. They are testing that you entered a valid card number.

• Paul Taylor says:

That used to be quite common to check card isn’t stolen. I wouldn’t worry too much.

• Peter Muscutt says:

Is it possibly as some stores ‘validate’ your card, before they charge you? Not sure if the Bowie single was a preorder but I know some stores might do an authorization process. You may see the full amount deducted soon?

16. Greg says:

Target in the USA has an “exclusive” 3 CD version for $23. It has the all of the audio content and none of the odds and ends in the super deluxe edition.

17. Duane Rodriguez says:

Good day, does the vinyl box set include a download code?

18. Paul E. says:

I think 1998’s “Sho’ Nuff – The Complete Black Crowes” covers this album just fine (a few alternate tracks, a live show, and book won’t help me with the $60 sticker price). Alternatively, they could have released a 3 or 4 disc set with unreleased early period live shows AND a bonus disc to pick up the b-side/outtake scraps missing from the ’98 box set.

19. Friso says:

My heart was broken and the love was gone for the Crowes, after listening to Steve Gorman’s audiobook about his life with the band. (Great listen/read).
    I couldn’t listen to them for a while.
    Time heals all wounds, even though I’ll never be that die-hard fan again, because the brothers just destroyed too many good things with their legacy (Rich also with his Magpie Salute).
    I saw many gigs, back in the day, from their debut in 1990 on, most of them smokin’.

What Graham pointed out is absolutely true, by the way. Something terrible happened with the 2015 reissue of their debut. That record sounded so bad, that I even didn’t want to give it away. Talk about screwing the pooch. To this day the worst sounding reissue I have ever heard. I was appalled. The comparison with my original vinyl copy was literally night and day.
    Let’s hope this time around things are done right in the mastering and cutting stages. Looks like a nice package. I’ll be getting this and I’m hoping for a similar treatment of their masterpiece, which was the follow-up to this one.

• Mark says:

Spot on Frisco. Band ruined for me with Gorman and Hyden’s book but i still love the music. I’m probably going to be annoyed at myself when I do purchase this.

• Friso says:

Well Mark, maybe, maybe not. I mean, the music is still good. What Gorman says, they were a great band, outside of all their fighting and moaning, there’s always the music.

20. Graham says:

The new unreleased song has been ‘available’ online for years but this looks like a decent package. The Crowes didn’t start cooking until the next album though so I’ll give this a miss. It’s also worth noting that the vinyl reissue of this album from a few years ago had atrocious sound quality.

21. FrenchDuke79 says:

Oooh I would be up for this if the UK price was pretty similar to the US one but UDiscover has the vinyl box for £75. They have an Evergreen coloured Vinyl of just the album (no bonus) available for £20 and a 3CD Deluxe for £20 as well. Curious price difference between the 3CD and Super Deluxe at £50 if the disc contents are the same.

• Adrian Johnson says:

Thanks for that tip – I certainly don’t need to pay an additional thirty quid for a box a book and some trinkets.

22. Steven Roberts says:

Gotta say that in terms of all the potential anniversary editions that could be released over the coming months, this one was pretty low on my list.

23. Johnathan says:

One of my favorite albums at the time. And I spent years looking for the ‘with horns’ mix of “Hard To Handle” before finally getting my hands on it (this was prior to Discogs).