The Cranberries / No Need To Argue remastered and expanded

The Cranberries / No Need to Argue deluxe edition

Two-CD deluxe and 2LP vinyl

The Cranberries‘ second album No Need to Argue has been remastered and expanded for a double CD and 2LP vinyl release in September.

Originally released in 1994, the album was the band’s commercial peak, with global sales in excess of 17 million. No Need to Argue contains the single ‘Zombie’ which topped charts across Europe (although interestingly, only peaked at 14 in the UK) and was seemingly played endlessly on MTV at the time.

The two-CD deluxe features, on the first disc, a 2020 remaster of the album (“from the original tapes”), three B-sides (‘Away’, ‘I Don’t Need’ and ‘So Cold In Ireland’), a previously unreleased song ‘Yesterday’s Gone’ (which was recorded unplugged for MTV in New York in 1995), a cover of the Carpenters’ ‘(They Long To Be) Close to You’ and a remix of ‘Zombie’. The second CD in this package features nine unreleased demos and eight live tracks.

The 2LP vinyl edition features the remastered album across three sides and five of the six bonus tracks from CD 1 (no remix of ‘Zombie’) on side four.

Both formats include a 5,000 word essay on the history of the album written by the band’s archivist Eoin Devereux.

No Need to Argue is reissued on 18 September 2020.  A single CD, album-only option, is also available.

The Cranberries

9. Ridiculous Thoughts
10. Dreaming My Dreams
11. Yeats’ Grave
12. Daffodil Lament
13. No Need To Argue

B-sides + extras

14. Yesterday’s Gone (MTV unplugged)
15. Away
16. I Don’t Need
17. So Cold In Ireland
18. (They Long To Be) Close To You
19. Zombie (A Camel’s Hump Remix by The Orb)

CD 2 – Demos + live tracks

Side C

Dreaming My Dreams
Yeats’ Grave
Daffodil Lament
No Need to Argue

Side D (Bonus tracks)

Yesterday’s Gone (MTV unplugged)
Away
I Don’t Need
So Cold in Ireland
(They Long To Be) Close To You

24 responses to The Cranberries / No Need To Argue remastered and expanded

1. Adam says:

So delighted. I’ve wanted this on vinyl for so long. I couldn’t bring myself to pay the high priced values for the original single disc. Now I’m getting a double. Bonus

2. Ed Randazzo says:

I am a bit disappointed that No Need to Argue isn’t getting the boxed set treatment, but I am happy that the band is observing the 25th anniversary. My guess for the severe lack of content this time around is due to licensing/copyright issues and lots of hurdles, which ultimately led to frustration.

I would have LOVED to hear the MTV Unplugged gig in full here. It is my favorite Cranberries gig. “Yesterday’s Gone” is an excellent addition to this set, but it seems slightly out of place in the tracklisting.

3. Robert says:

Double-Vinyl now at avg 28 EUR (26 GBP) in Europe.
    The new normal :-(

4. Anthony says:

Catching up with Derry Girls had put the Cranberries back in my head, and I’ve recently dug this one out and I’d forgotten what a great album it is. Looking forward to the 2 CD edition.

5. Enrico G. says:

When we travel, my 8yo daughter always ask me to listen to Ed Sheeran.
    Where did I go wrong? :)

6. Ian says:

I don’t really get spending the time to comment “I don’t like her voice” on this. Clearly, the set’s not for you! Jog on.

7. Neil says:

Their first album was good and showed promise but then they released that Zombie single and it was annoying as hell with that singing voice.

8. Brian says:

The inevitable “This is what’s missing for completists moan”

Ode to My Family b-sides. All live at Feile Festival 30th July 1994
    Ode To My Family
    Dreams
    Ridiculous Thoughts
    Zombie
    Ode to My Family b-sides. All live on Later With Jools Holland, June 1994.
    No Need To Argue
    Dreaming My Dreams

Ode to My Family radio edit, 4.22.

Zombie B-sides Live acoustic at Fleadh Festival 11th June 1994
    Waltzing Back
    Linger
    Radio Edit (US promo)

I Can’t Be With You B-sides
    Empty- BBC Radio One evening session 26th September 1994
    Daffodil Lament – Live Feile Festival 30th July 1994
    Zombie (acoustic) MTV Europe’s Most Wanted.

Ridiculous Thoughts B-Sides, Live at the Point Depot Dublin 2nd June 1995, RTE 2FM.
    Twenty One
    Ridiculous thoughts
    I can’t Be with You (France / Japan cd single only)

Ridiculous Thoughts (radio edit) US promo cd

Three was also a “Doors and Windows” cd-rom with some unique content.

A lot of live content there. No doubt it’s horrible licensing issues.

9. Adam says:

I’m gutted that this isn’t being done as a super deluxe edition the way the first album was. What gives? Did it not sell because I love it! Was really hoping for a companion box with book, remastered album, and 3 discs of outtakes and live performances.

10. Liam Bastick says:

The Sound of Vinyl is doing a transparent double vinyl version. Not sure if it’s exclusive.

11. James says:

Amazing to think Zombie couldn’t crack the top 10 in the UK, yet was No. 1 in Australia for 8 weeks over that Summer of 1994 into 1995.

BBC banned the original video as well, from memory.

12. Tim says:

This is a band like Jesus & Mary Chain, I really wanted to like but just can’t. Her vocal ticks are just plain irritating…IMHO.

• Quante says:

I once sat on a coach journey in France where the driver clearly had a love of The Cranberries – the tape repeated for four hours and that ended any interest I had in listening to them again. Like you Tim, it was the ‘vocal ticks’ that started to grate, along with the doom, and once you notice it, it doesn’t go away. Perhaps I’m being unfair, but whenever I hear their songs it takes me straight back to that journey.

• Chris Squires says:

It’s funny isn’t it how permeation of music can go both ways. My elder sister’s boyfriend back in 1978 used to play non-stop Oldfield / Jarre / Tangerine Dream when they went to college and that made me want to crawl all over it. I have tried to get my daughters into certain things by subtly playing Kate Bush / Abba / Nick Cave / Police and they bloody hate all of it. Actually getting up and walking out if I put any music on. I suppose it’s generational (your parent’s vs your sisters 18 year old boyfriend when I was just 11) and the music he played was fairly contemporary and I am playing stuff that is up to 42 years old to kids from 11 then to now 24. If any of you have kids that actually like your music you have done well.

• Erikq says:

Chris, every time my 6-year-old son and I drive somewhere, just the two of use, he asks me to play 2112, “as loud as Godzilla!” or asks for The Beatles, so maybe the trick is to get them at a very early age.

To not totally derail the thread, I’ll definitely be picking this up. Not only for the album itself, but it also reminds me a very happy time in my life (ironic for the many unhappy songs included) when I first heard it.

• Derek Langsford says:

In the early 70s I used to listen to the Top 30 countdown on Sunday nights with my older sister. My older brother joined the Royal Marines and bought the first record player that came into the house (down in Cornwall). He bought lots of Marine Marching Band LPs and classical music but did expose me to Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells at the tender age of 10. My first LP purchase when I got a part time job at 13 was Abba’s Greatest Hits followed quickly by Arrival. I bought the cassette of JMJ’s Oxygene and remember listening to it in awe with my best friend lying on his living room floor with ears adjacent to a small portable tape player.

I am grateful that my kids (now 22 and 26) like a lot of what I have played them over the years and don’t mind what I put on when they are around. My younger son is a music performance major (French Horn) and plays a lot of soundtrack scores plus a wide variety of other music, and has even introduced me to some new material. Sadly he draws a line at early Kate Bush but overall we have a very positive relationship with music for which I am very grateful.

13. Andy says:

I’m looking forward to this but I have to say, they should’ve included the entire MTV Unplugged session in place of the other live tracks. A bit of a missed opportunity.

14. Steve F says:

Is the 2LP a Miles Showell half-speed master like “Everybody Else..” was?

15. Luke says:

Just like the previous remaster from the first album: I’ll keep my Treasure Box from 2002 because I’m perfectly fine with it.

• Jonathan Riley says:

yes since you have all of the first disc already minus the mtv unplugged
      also i dont really care about demos or live tracks

16. Ian says: