The Cure / 40 LIVE – CURÆTION-25 + ANNIVERSARY deluxe box sets

The Cure will release 40 LIVE – CURÆTION-25 + ANNIVERSARY in October, a deluxe box set of live performances from 2018 to mark the 40th anniversary of the band.

The six-disc box sets (2 x blu-ray+4CD or 2 x DVD+4CD) offer sets from two nights (the tenth and final evening) of the 25th Meltdown Festival (curated by lead singer Robert Smith) at London’s Royal Festival Hall in June 2018. Smith, Simon Gallup, Jason Cooper, Roger O’Donnell, and Reeves Gabrels performed a song from each of their 13 studio albums in chronological order. There are also two brand news songs meaning there are 28 tracks on the blu-ray or DVD. This audio is then spilt across two CDs.

The other element to this release is ‘Anniversary: 1978-2018 Live In Hyde Park London’ which is the band’s acclaimed 29-song, 135-minute anniversary concert filmed in Hyde Park in 2018. This is a four-decade deep set and the performance was filmed by Tim Pope. In total, 29 songs which on blu-ray or DVD (depending on which set you want) and split across two CDs.

The video discs offer stereo and surround sound (the latter is Dolby Digital 5.1 &  DTS on the DVD and DTS HD-Audio on the blu-ray).

Both blu-ray and DVD variants are available without the CDs in cheaper DVD-sized hardcover book sets. We are selling the two six-disc deluxe box sets on the SDE shop and other options are listed below.

40 LIVE – CURÆTION-25 + ANNIVERSARY is out on 18 October 2019 via Eagle Vision.

The Cure

12. Jumping Someone Else’s Train
  13. Grinding Halt
  14. 10:15 Saturday Night
  15. KAA

54 responses to The Cure / 40 LIVE – CURÆTION-25 + ANNIVERSARY deluxe box sets

1. Hanif says:

May I know the bluray region code?

2. Elliot says:

I was at the Hyde Park show, fantastic performance although I couldn’t stay for the whole set for travel reasons. The other bands at British Summer Time last year were great too, Slowdive in particular.

Still holding out for a Wish deluxe edition like many others, would be nice to see the same treatment for the following albums as well.

Pre-ordered one of the box sets from the SDE shop, pleased that it turned out cheaper than Amazon.
    Thanks Paul! :)

3. Kev says:

No ‘Love Cats’?

4. Glenn says:

Wasn’t Tim Pope compiling a 40th anniversary documentary? Any news on that?

• Tim-Meh says:

That’s not happening. Tim Pope did the Hyde Park show instead.

• Alan Blevin says:

That isn’t right I think.In June just before the Hyde Park show had a cinema release Tim Pope did a newspaper interview here in Australia.He talked about the documentary in the interview and said it was basically finished but did not know what Robert’s plans for it were.
        Sounds like we will get it but knowing Robert’s past record don’t hold your breath waiting.

5. Trent Jakubec says:

Ordered. Great price, just wish the shipping to Canada was not so much this time around. I assume it must be due to the size of the item. I suspect that once the set shows up on amazon.ca (always slow) that it won’t be much different in price anyway (since we have sales tax to add). So far SDE shipments have avoided import duty (unless import duty is included in the shipping cost). BTW, the cheapest amazon.co.uk shipping and duty still comes out more than SDE.

6. Klaus says:

Good to see release info for that now.

I went to the local cinema and watched the Hyde Park gig when they showed the film one night only in July.

Even though the admission price was about 50% higher than for usual films it was worth the money imho because of the chance to watch it in HD and with cranked up 7.1 volume.

If the CURAETION-gig is only half as good (which i think it is, regarding the choice of songs) then this is an absolute must-buy for anyone remotely interested in the band.

• Jen says:

I went to see the anniversary show too at the movie theater on July 11th, & it was so good! It seemed as if Smiths voice was even better then the last time I saw him in concert two years ago. Can’t wait to get this anniversary set, & can’t wait to see The Cure again.

7. michel bendichou says:

No vinyl.

:¬x

8. Isaías says:

WHERE’S WISH DELUXE EDITION ?????
    WHERE’S WILD MOOD SWINGS DELUXE ??
    WHERE’S BLOODFLOWERS DELUXE ???

I’M HOPELESS TO SEE IT FINALLY RELEASED

9. Shane says:

Thanks Tim.
    Meanwhile I tried to google the set and it seems like it’s not easy to find set lists of any act online and I honestly can’t be that bothered to spend more time on it, given that I already gave up on the Kylie set (which, even though I’m a great fan and I can only read raves about it, thought it was quite poor and could barely hear her live vocals what with the low mixing and/or being overpowered by the pre-recorded “backing track”). I wonder why neither’s set list is on wiki. I’d have thought such a legendary festival would have the whole event’s set list featured there.
    I guess I’ll have to play the whole night on youtube, given that I found out it’s like 90 mins long! (I thought it was just a handful of songs).
    Maybe I should just buy this release instead :)

10. Kevin Galliford says:

It was 60 odd quid for the 6 disc set the other day via their website on the weekend so it’s really come down in price! Definite purchase from me. Love this band & what a great momento! What I would love to see though is a big collection of outtakes like what they put on a video compilation they did in the early 90’s

11. AlexKx says:

Looks like they perform much more than one song from each of their studio long plays. What am I misunderstanding?

One song from each album PER NIGHT. There’s two nights though.

• Caroline says:

They played both “CURÆTION” sets on the same night, taking a song from each album in chronological order, then playing two new songs and then playing another song from each album but in *reverse* chronological order. The result is a deep dive with a cleverly chosen 4 song climax.

They couldn’t be billed as “The Cure” because of contractual stuff re. Hyde Park IIRC.

• Phil Wilson says:

It was that they played from the first album to the last for the first 14 tracks, then from the last to the first for the next 14 tracks. It was called From There To Here for the first 14 tracks , then From There To Here for the next 14. Info from the setlist.

12. Mike Villano says:

How long has Reeves Gabrels been in The Cure?

• Timmy Osborne says:

Too long! His wonky, saturated, over-compressed guitar tone takes away from the songs imo. (The straight answer is he’s been in the live band for around 15 years now)

• Guy says:

I disagree! In my opinion his guitar playing has enhanced the songs! Have been a fan since his days playing with Bowie.

13. Shane says:

Question to the fans: i caugh two songs on the Glastonbury airing ok BBC and missed both titles. I quite liked them and wonder if all songs from Glasto are ok this set. By process of elinination. Thanks!

14. luciano says:

No shipping to brazil?

15. Derek says:

I’m still holding out hope for remastered Blu-Ray or DVD reissues of ‘In Orange’ and ‘Live In Japan’. And the expanded version of ‘Wish’.

• Christian says:

Me too. The Cure are way past their prime, but the during the 80s, Robert Smith was a remarkably gifted and versatile songwriter. Would love to see In Orange on disc, even an expanded Wish (though it marked a sharp decline in imagination and songwriting).

• Bex says:

I disagree everybody else is retuning and I take my hat off to them for giving it a go , although getting on at 60 I thought Robert and the others did a fantastic job at Glastonbury and his voice hadn’t changed and sang well live for hours compared to the other artists who played I think they were the starts of the show

16. Spencer says:

All fine and good. But where’s the deluxe edition of Wish? I know it’s been said here before it needs to be said again. Thanks for news Paul.

17. Mark G says:

Yr numbering system’s gone a bit wacky, but you probably don’t need to list the stand-alone bluray/DVD contents again at the bottom.

18. Stuart says:

Hi Paul, can I just check your pricing for the six disc blu-ray version at £46.00, only your web store is nearly £15 cheaper than the udiscovermusic.com website?! Thanks

19. Douglas Bailey says:

Still waiting for THE CURE IN ORANGE, myself.

20. Stop using Æ and Ø solely for markering pørposes…

Sincerly,
    Scandinavia

21. Eamonn says:

How do you type that new AE letter? It’s sick!

22. Pascal Mohtaschem says:

“KAA”? We live in sad times. :-/

• Caroline says:

They’ve been calling it “Killing Another” and also “Kissing An Arab” at various points. I understand Smith’s discomfort and it’s his call.

Don’t feel I need the CDs but quite fancy the visual contents on their own.

• Christian says:

Indeed – Killing An Arab – someone needs to spell it out!

23. chdx says:

Actually, they did perform TWO songs of each of their 13 albums, onwards from 1979 to one new track from 2019, then going backwards starting with another new track and going back in time.

24. Gerbrand says:

With their brand new album (almost?) ready and the Wish Deluxe Edition also lying on a shelf it could be a busy second half year for The Cure fans.

• Dan says:

I doubt it, The Cure are famous for their list of promises which are still yet to see the light of day. I imagine they’ll concentrate on this release. The new album was supposedly finished in March, now it turns out, it’s not finished.

• Adam says:

New album not quite finished, in an interview earlier in the summer Robert said that he still needed to do the vocals so with the summer festivals I’m guessing am end of year release at the earliest possibly even 2020 – assuming it does get released….

Anyway, I was at both gigs so really excited to see these, especially the Cureation show and will definitely be getting these from SDE as it’s such a great price. Thanks Paul.