The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: Quintessential Phase / 2LP vinyl

First time on vinyl • Luxury presentation • Signed print

Demon Records will issue Quintessential Phase a new 2LP coloured vinyl deluxe set that features the fifth series of Douglas Adams’ classic comedy science fiction radio show The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: Quintessential Phase arrives on heavyweight pink vinyl, and of course the packaging is consistent with the high standards of the preceding Primary, Secondary, Tertiary and Quandary Phase releases. Here, for the first time ever on vinyl, are Episodes 23 to 26 of the BBC radio series which was first broadcast in 2005 and is based upon Douglas Adams’s fifth Hitchhiker’s novel, Mostly Harmless.

Starring William Franklyn & Peter Jones as The Book, with Simon Jones as Arthur Dent, Geoffrey McGivern as Ford Prefect, Mark Wing-Davey as Zaphod, Susan Sheridan as Trillian, Sandra Dickinson as Tricia McMillan, Samantha Beart as Random and Rula Lenska as The Bird, with a guest cast including Jonathan Pryce, John Challis, Mitch Benn, Michael Fenton-Stevens, Saeed Jaffrey, Miriam Margolyes, Griff Rhys Jones, Stephen Moore, Jane Horrocks and many more, with music by Philip Pope and Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens. Adapted, Directed and Co-Produced by Dirk Maggs.

This Amazon UK exclusive edition is limited to 500 copies and includes a signed print from Arthur Dent himself… Simon Jones. It also includes sleeve notes by Jones and a series overview by Jem Roberts, Adams’ official biographer.

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: Quintessential Phase is released on 28 June 2019.

The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy

Quintessential Phase - 500 limited edition with signed print

Amazon uk   76.8
Amazon usa   52.8

29 responses to The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy: Quintessential Phase / 2LP vinyl

1. Danny M Graydon says:

Oh, and it also appears that TQP is the final box-set, so it’s Adams only all the way!

2. Danny M Graydon says:

I just received the Amazon signed exclusive version of TQP yesterday and when I opened it, there was *NO* print signed by Simon Jones…!!! (Yes, there was a sticker on the front that said “Exclusive Signed Print by Simon Jones”) Has anyone else had this issue and, Paul, do you know who would be best to contact at Demon Records about this, please? I’ve shelled out a lot for this series, so it’s rather gutting to not have the one signature I really wanted!

• horslips says:

Danny – did you check inside the sleeve with the second LP. I thought the same and found it there.

3. Elizabeth Hirst says:

These sets are lovely, but I am glad there is a finite limit to them, They are getting rather expensive for what they contain.

4. Stephen B. Collman says:

Whilst I do own some coloured and clear vinyl original 90’s Dance and Kraut Rock releases and the Queen complete set reissue there is a perverse contradiction in all these ever increasing limited edition coloured vinyl collectors releases. Black carbon vinyl is far superior to all these coloured vinyls for playback. One has to essentially rip these coloured vinyls via a high end AD/DA converter and then set them to one side or hope they come with high resolution digital audio files included. Surface noise and accelerated wear are the inevitable consequence of repeatedly playing coloured vinyl.

I lose track of my nebulous digital (mostly dance tracks) purchased via Juno Download for example despite multiple back ups and multiple catalogues on different computers (PC and Mac) and in different DJ and high resolution playback and library software. So physical format good, endless limited collectors coloured vinyls bad.

5. CJ Feeney says:

The last item of vinyl I ordered fro Amazon was packed in a plastic bag rather than a box. Thankfully it arrived intact, but I’m not likely to order vinyl from them again.

6. Rob B says:

Remi – of course it doesn’t ship to Belgium – i’m surprised they even print the word…..

7. Frank Sidebottom says:

terrible prices for albums now..far far too expensive

8. KevinK says:

Hopefully that’s just a mock-up in the picture and the real inner sleeve will have the correct quote without the typos. I remember the similar issue with the Primary Phase inner sleeves last year!

9. Christopher Merritt says:

So… this says “does not ship to the United States” – but I’ve ordered the previous four in the series and had them shipped here to the US. Paul, any info on this? I’d rather not complete the series by paying flipper prices…

• Gerry Menzies says:

If you wanted to order and have it sent to my address in the UK I am more than happy to send it over to you, not sure how much the postage would cost you, which you could pay me via paypal once posted.

• Christopher Merritt says:

Thanks Gerry – that’s very nice of you. I went ahead and placed the order regardless and it looks like Amazon UK is going to send it through. Hopefully there won’t be any issues (other than the typical Amazon UK outer shipping box arriving smashed and torn!)

• skipclarke says:

I was able to order and have it shipped to the US.

• c_q says:

I saw the same thing, but I kept proceeding with (pre-)order, and was able to place it. Maybe they will cancel it later, or maybe the message is in error.

• Shawn C. says:

Christopher – I’ve noticed this several times recently on vinyl I wanted to order and have shipped to the US. I’ve ordered vinyl from Amazon.uk for years with no issue – this must be some new policy. Sucks.

10. Phil says:

Ordered! Anyone know how many more episodes there were after this?

• Danny Graydon says:

There was the final Hexagonal Phase, which basically covered Eoin Colfer’s 2009 instalment, “And Another Thing…”, which had six episodes. It was broadcast last year on the 40th anniversary of the first radio episode.

• J Galvin says:

Should be one more set after this.

11. Remi says:

Doesn’t ship to Belgium either while I had no problem getting the previous one or other exclusives before

• Peter Muscutt says:

Maybe that’s because Belgium is the rudest word in the universe according to the series? Lol

12. Daniel Harris says:

Another item that “does not ship to the US”. Is this becoming standard?? I’ve bought so many exclusive items from Amazon UK…this is not good. What’s behind this?

• Steven says:

I’ve had two orders completed, including this one, that said, “does not ship to US”. Not sure if items will be shipped and received, but orders were accepted.

13. Danny Graydon says:

Instantly pre-ordered! I was just thinking that the announcement for this should be imminent, so thanks for the heads up! Your Bonus Content newsletter is very helpful. I’ve managed to get all the signed editions so far – the presentation of this set has been absolutely flawless.

14. KevinK says:

Not just the first time on vinyl, but the first time the original as-broadcast radio edits have been released. Previous CD releases have been extended versions.