The Rolling Stones / Let It Bleed 50th anniversary deluxe box

This November, ABKCO are set to reissue The Rolling Stones‘ 1969 album Let It Bleed as a 50th anniversary box set.

This set will feature newly remastered (by Bob Ludwig) stereo and mono versions of the album on both vinyl and SACD.

The collection also includes a reproduction of the 1969 seven-inch mono single of ‘Honky Tonk Women’/ ‘You Can’t Always Get What You Want’ in a picture sleeve.

Let It Bleed 50th anniversary box set (click image to enlarge)

An 80 page hardcover book includes an notes by he-gets-everywhere journalist David Fricke, along with never-before-seen photos by the band’s tour photographer Ethan Russell. Perhaps in the hope of distracting you from the lack of bonus audio, this set also includes more ‘stuff’ in the shape of three 12” x 12” hand-numbered REPLICA-signed lithographs printed on embossed archival paper, and a massive (23” x 23”) poster.

If you are interested in the remastering, Bob Ludwig apparently worked from Direct Stream Digital files taken from the original tapes at a 2.8 MHz sampling rate.

Let It Bleed is reissued on 1 November 2019. There will also be standalone remastered stereo CD and vinyl editions available.

Rolling Stones

Let It Bleed - 50th anniversary box set

Let It Bleed (50th Anniversary Limited Deluxe Edition)

LP 1 – Stereo

You Can’t Always Get What You Want

7” vinyl single – (Mono)

Side A – Honky Tonk Women
Side B – You Can’t Always Get What You Want

107 responses to The Rolling Stones / Let It Bleed 50th anniversary deluxe box

1. Harald says:

Yes it seems like ABKCO can’t get an arrangement done with the Stones to get into their vaults or wherever the outtakes are located. The Beggars Banquet reedition sounds really great on CD alone. Nowadays it is big money for nice books, Posters, etc…
    Not for me anymore. The CD edition is enough…

2. John B Dunnebacke says:

Seriously, Jagger couldn’t find ANY bonus material for the 50th Anniversary ?????? I wish they had added a bonus CD of demos, alternate takes, unreleased live material from the 1969 tour (besides Ya-Ya’s), unreleased tracks, etc…As much as The Stones record in the studio… they have TONS of stuff still in the archives….I’ll settle for the Hybrid SACD ….

• Stephen Goldsmith says:

The reason there is no bonus content is because Jagger/Richards lost control of the song copyrights they owned whilst contracted to Decca. Andrew Oldham sold them to Allen Klein without the knowledge of the composers. The loss included all Mick and Keith songs uo to 1970, and a number of other songs that turned up later on ‘Exile’
      Its unfair to castigate M & K for being responsible for the lack of alternative/demo or unreleased tracks. If the unreleased material is put in the public domain , Klein’s son would be able to claim the copyrights.
      I am sure that M &K would be happy to use unreleased material, but not if the aren’t going to retain the copyrights on the material
      I think they made a good effort with the boxed reissues of both Exile and particularly the fiery performances from 1971 on Sticky Fingers. Its pointless to blame the Stones for this mess, they were not aware or responsible for the loss of their copyrights

3. Nick says:

I love this album. But I can see no reason whatsoever to buy this package even at half the current price. What a rip off.

4. Mike says:

Someone at Amazon is confused between The Beatles and The Stones… they have this listed as “Let It BE” instead of “Let It Bleed”!

No matter, at this price for those contents there is no way my wallet is opening!

5. XAVIER says:

Waiting for the 2 cds edition … When???????

6. AndyGS says:

Are the little Rolling Stones figurines included in the Box? They are awesome ! LOL

7. donpablito says:

I’m a huge Stones fan and this is one of my favorite albums of all time but will be passing on this one just like the last two Stones SDE’s, out of principle.
    Still hoping that if we all do this maybe the record companies will start scratching their heads and start listening to their target audience. I don’t want LP’s nor SACD’s. Why still combine LP’s and CD or SACD’s or Blu-rays?
    Will consider if price drops to 50 quid region.

8. Mick says:

We’ve heard it all…
    ABKCO contractually can’t release vault stuff.
    Mono is a fold down.
    The $125 price tag is basically for the “marbles”.

I bought the Satanic SDE. Passed on the BB one. I was a bit miffed that the Satanic SDE contained black vinyl, and the coloured vinyl version was a standalone RSD release. As much of a ripoff as that was, I kind of hope they’ll do a standalone coloured vinyl of LIB ( I don’t recall one for BB).

• Frank says:

This anniversary edition is senseless in the offered formats. We remember TSMR. The MONO version was a fold-down mix and not the Decca UK mono version. If already a vinyl edition for the 50th anniversary of LET IT BLEED, then a replica of the UK promo album from 1969 on coloured vinyl (+ poster) would be meaningful for the Stones fan. There are said to be less than five copies of this album which were given to DECCA / LONDON superiors in 1969. I am convinced that anyone working on the project at UNIVERSAL doesn´t know that this version exists. I will send Paul photos, maybe he will post them and UNIVERSAL will notice and think about such a vinyl edition for the 50th time or the next RSD. For some of us “baby boomer” buyers, it might be too late for the 60th. . . .

• Andreas says:

The original UK Mono TSMR contained a fold-down. Noone knew why as the original US Mono TSMR contained the dedicated mono mix. My understanding is that the version released in the TSMR anniversary edition is that dedicated mono mix. Please Stones fans, correct me if I am wrong.

• Jarmo Keranen says:

I own the white vinyl version of Beggars Banquet. It is UK pressing from 2005. The cover is the original “white album” version but it isn’t gatefold. The picture that was original gatefold’s centre is in the inner bag.

9. KB says:

Terrible, the same as their last two 50th anniversary releases…pointless as a boxset. Fair doos if they wish to remix/remaster the album and release just the mono & stereo mixes in a gatefold but trying to pretend this is anything special is ridiculous. Is this due to ABKCO again?

Either way this is one of the top 5 greatest British bands of all time, the label bosses or the band themselves are totally missing the point here, we really need some outtakes and live shows with no unnecessary guff, the original Rolling Stones fans are disappearing and will be long dead by the time they get their act together!

The recent Pink Floyd Later Years Boxset was bad enough…sigh…

10. Phil Educate says:

Does anyone know, for certain, whether the so-called “newly remastered” SACD is indeed sourced from the 2002 DSD conversion, as some here have suggested? Also, if I may gripe for moment, I wish the audio engineers that are hired for these remasterings would insist that they be allowed to remix (from the original session tapes) instead of just remastering, as we have learned from Steven Wilson and Giles Martin that, for optimal sound quality a session tape remixing is much more important than remastering, if today’s technology is used

• Andreas says:

I don’t think Jagger & Co want to remix (even if they could decide themselves). They were considering to remix Exile for its expanded edition in 2010, but they decided against.

11. James Dawson says:

Plus both the 12″ and 7″ records are spinning in the wrong direction in the video preview. Maybe whoever produced the video is too young to ever have seen vinyl records being played…

• Kevin from Edinburgh says:

The lp is playing in the wrong direction; looks like the single is fine?

This might mean it’s even worse than you thought…..the individual concerned believes records can be played in either direction!

12. John says:

It is a NEW REMASTER – So buying the Stereo LP to compare will be fun at least :-)

“Says Ludwig, who has mastered or remastered many other Stones albums: “When we did the first Let It Bleed remaster in 2002, our intention was to pay homage to the original work. When we did this new version, the purpose was to make it as great as it could possibly sound. If you listen on a good set of speakers or good headphones, you’ll hear subtle things in the background that are now much more clear that were somewhat hidden before.”

Read more at https://www.analogplanet.com/content/let-it-bleed-50th-anniversary-deluxe-box-abkco-coming-november-1st#8JphV0JlLopOSZDk.99

13. J R Larsson says:

I totally agree where is the 96/24 5.1 mix and some bonus tracks? I don’t care about the LP’s. Just give me a Blu-ray with all that or some CDs with it. I WAS excited.

14. Ruben says:

I’ve got the 2002 SACD and am very disappointed there are no extras. Come on, are there really no alternate takes/false starts/demos, and the like? I will probably get it, but only once the price comes down a bit. I understand there might be licensing issues, but you’d think for the 50th ann. that they could put out something more compelling. Huge lost opportunity.

15. Kauwgompie says:

Someone needs to tell the Stones camp that deluxe versions should actually add something interesting, like, god forbid, something unreleased. This is a joke. A superb album but this reissue is nothing short of a giant money suck. It gives us nothing interesting, zilch. Just like the Beggars Banquet deluxe reissue. Passed on that one too.

• bruce kelso says:

hi, I have had the pleasu to re of meeting the stones at various times and talked with some of their people bout why they haven’t added any unreleased track to their reissues. I said can I ask keith or mick about this was told do not bring up that subject. so I kept my mouth shut but my in my mind it was killing me to hold back. the funny thing is that when exile reissued they went back and did overdubs on to unfinished tracks. and the result was inferior. why couldn’t they just leave them in the raw form?

16. DaveM says:

Another no buy along with Pink Floyd. Only thing on the horizon is AR50. Come on Macca, give us London Town / BTTE or Flaming Pie and then I will have something to look forward to on the run up to Christmas.

17. Tyrone says:

Why SACD? Most people have Blu Ray players. Most people do not have an SACD player.
    Grrr! Was Blu Ray audio. I won’t be buying any more SACD’s.

A top few days of deluxe releases never the less.

18. Mike Defresne says:

Book looks nice but there are other Rolling Stones book to buy. The Mono is a fold down. Why don’t they issue bootlegs in official version like The Trident Mixes ? i’ll save my money for Prince 1999 toot.

19. Wolfgang Mintrop says:

After the announcement of the upcoming PINK FLOYD box, this is the next disappointment. Same situation: no real interesting content, just in regard of bonus stuff – but at the same time a horrible price.

@ Record Companies: what’s going on on your side? Still trusting in the “stupid” fans buying these boxes …?

20. drbryant says:

Been a fan my entire life. Seen them live over 50 times. First time when I was 12 years old, now I’m nearly 60, and I saw them last month. Let It Bleed may be their best album. And I have absolutely no interest in this.

• Peter Stanton says:

Re drbryant
      My first gig was the Stones at Portsmouth Guildhall July 1965 and I have followed/collected them ever since, but these re-issues are, sadly, of very little interest.

There is so much that I would be delighted to pay for!

21. Galley says:

All I want are the SACDs.

22. J says:

Good lord, I thought this was it. At first. Alas no bonus material, no live stuff, no 5.1. Total disappointment. Nice try ABKO but my money is staying in my bank account

23. Charlie Waffles says:

Announced on the same day as the 1999 box set. This is too bad to even consider purchasing. Pass…

24. Laszlo Molnar says:

Such a perfect album. It says remastered but isn’t this cut from the high resolution files created for the SACDS back in 2002? I already have that, also the Blu-ray audio version, a giant, super heavy Let It Bleed (and the regular edition) books by Ethan Russell. Looks really tempting, especially because of the vinyls. The original pressings are very expensive.
    Are those little figurines from the cover art, marching into the box at the end of the video included? :)

25. Steve Benson says:

I can only echo other comments about the parlous state of Stones on Decca. Any other band of their stature would have had comprehensive sessions sets out by now which would make more sense and listening than the grab-bag LPs issued at time and ever since. I guess for now I’ll content myself with my own home-made compilations. I know that it was originally issued in 1969 in mono as well as stereo but was it a fold-down mix even then?

26. Mike Villano says:

I never knew there was a mono version of this.

27. bruce kelso says:

a stone mint u.k. mono with sticker/poster/red inner sleeve and 1 a/1 b matrixs sold for $969. so the originals both in mono and stereo are still being sought after and bought. item sold 9/8/19.

28. Kevin Rollinson says:

My favourite Stones album. I will buy it.

29. Mark says:

Let It Bleed [Your Wallet Dry].

30. David says:

Utter rubbish. Yet again ABKO churn out some rehashed garbage rather than actually do some work, show some dedicated and put together a solid collection of period outtakes and demos etc. There are such gems in the archive and this is yet another opportunity squandered.

• Mick says:

Blame the band. ABKCO can re-release what they want, but they can’t add unreleased stuff without approval from the band.

31. Glen Buchanan says:

Does anyone out there actually listen to unreleased demos more than once ? I have a stack of CDs from a certain band that I have NEVER listened to twice. I don’t collect them on vinyl, (with exceedingly rare exceptions), as it’s a waste of money and space in my large collection. I’d love to hear from other SDE readers.

• Josh says:

Demos, no. But there are a lot of actual finished studio recordings from the same sessions they could have added to this set, including three tracks that were on Metamorphosis and various bootlegged tracks that are quite good.

• Mark Carter says:

I totally agree about the demos. They were shelved years ago for a reason.

• Justin Cole says:

Not always, but I have listened to all 4+ hours of The Beach Boys’ SMiLE Sessions more than once. I also have listened to the full evolution of Strawberry Fields Forever from the Pepper box many times. Probably my favorite demos were on the 2 CD Rhino edition of Elvis Costello’s Goodbye Cruel World, which revealed great songs when they were not smothered by fashion-of-the-exact-week production

• AndyB says:

You said it, Justin. But that quality is few and far between!

• Jeffro says:

The McCartney/Costello demos on the bonus disc of the Flowers in the Dirt deluxe are a highlight of both men’s careers.

• Stan Butler says:

I’ll second that. They’re excellent.
          I think I now prefer them to the actual Flowers In the Dirt album, which I still hold in high regard.

• Gareth Jones says:

Fair play to you Justin. I’ve still never made my way through all the Smile Sessions box. I await my retirement when I may actually give those 4+ hours my time. In the meantime, it does look lovely on the shelf!

• ruben says:

I actually do, for some artists: the Elvis Costello demos on those 2-disc versions from the early 2000’s are compelling in their own right.

32. Keith V Buirch says:

Let it bleed is one of the Stones best albums plus it’s the first time we hear Mick Taylor playing on a full album with the Stones I’m sorry but Mick Taylor in the Stones they were by no doubt the world’s greatest rock and roll band. Ronnie’s fantastic but Mick had the blues touch that made this album the masterpiece it is. And any album by any band cannot sound as good as the first time you hear monkey man. To bad theres not a DVD companion with it. Will have to order this box set for my collection.

33. Wayne Olsen says:

We can’t always get what we want.

34. Jim says:

I love these Stones reissues. I always know I can happily ignore them and not miss out on anything at all. Having said that, I’ve never owned it on CD so I might pick up the single disc version.

35. Rob says:

Paul is it known if this will be a new mono mix or simply a “fold down” like the Mono collection was . if memory serves there was no official mono mix for Let it Bleed. I suppose this would be a deciding factor on whether or not to throw down the coins for this

36. Jonathan Prestin says:

Does anyone know whether the reproduced poster mean that my original mono (with poster) from 1969 be reduced in its value?

• Jim says:

I stuck the poster that came with my copy (bought second hand in the 80s for £4) to the wall with Blu-Tac. It’s worthless now regardless.

37. tonissive says:

I´m more happy for the second run of the Prefab sprout vinyl reissues including ” Andromeda Heighs” and ” Let´s Change the World With Music for first time on vinyl than this.

38. Mark says:

I’m good with the Pure Audio Blu-ray version.

39. fan says:

Value of 2xLP around 25£
    Value of 2xCD around 15£
    Value of a 7£ (not even in stereo) 10£

50£ in total

Are the marbles worth 50ish more £?

Hell no. Nice try ABKCO.

40. Jack says:

In the USA Bull Moose has all editions listed, and the box set is currently at $110.

41. Bogdan says:

Once again, an underwhelming reissue of one of the greatest rock albums. Just like Beggars last year. And, if you put it next to the Price reissue also announced today, it looks like a total rip-off.

42. Gisabun says:

Interesting Amazon US [at this time] lists the deluxe version at $124US. No other versions.
    Amazon Canada lists separate CD and vinyl [1 disc each] but no additional information or prices. No deluxe edition.
    Only thing I could buy would be the stereo & mono releases in 1 package. Otherwise the rest of the deluxe is not needed by me.
    I don’t think this release would exceed the BR version I have.

43. gogandmagog says:

Perhaps in the hope of distracting you from the lack of bonus audio: wounderful Paul!!!
    That applies to several releases lately

44. Simonf says:

They could of chucked in the Jamming With Edward LP with this set but i know Jagger hates it. What a heap of crap. This and that unbelievable rip-off box set that Ronnie Wood is offering up at an eye watering £300 (!) just stinks the place out!

• Mick says:

They can’t. Jamming With Edward is owned by the band. Let It Bleed is owned by ABKCO. Both parties are distributed by Universal, but it would still have to be a joint release and the band prevents that.

45. Rob says:

Why does everyone hire David Fricke? He’s heavy on adjectives and big statements and light on new facts and revelations and he’s everywhere. Surely, Stanley Booth could provide something more substantial or most any UK writer. (I’m a US citizen, but prefer the Brits’ ways with words.)

Well, it isn’t like I’ll be buying this redundant cash grab. Shameless.

46. Francois says:

I remember getting the very similar “satanic” reissue (2Lp, 2 SACD and a 10 Inches booklet) at 65€ when it came out. Has pound sterling been devaluated that much in 2 years?…

• Michael says:

Francois, I feel the same way. Exactly the same formatting as the “satanic” issue I bought, which looked nice, but offered me nothing new to get really excited about. If only the Stones at least added “Child of the Moon” and “Jumping Jack Flash” to that deluxe set, would I feel otherwise.

The extra cost for the “Let It Bleed” SDE to obtain the book, 7″ single, pleasant lithographs and poster doesn’t seem quite worthwhile when (again) there are no extra tracks included with the set. Given that, I would prefer a standalone SACD of the remastered “Let It Bleed,” if and when that is to be released, and save the rest of my money for the much more enticing Prince “1999” SDE.

• David Bly says:

Actually, “Child of the Moon” and “Jumping Jack Flash” would belong on a “Beggars Banquet” set as that’s when they were recorded and released.

Years ago, I made my own 2-CD compilation which starts with those 2 songs (in that order), then has all of “Beggars Banquet”, then the Stones’ songs from the “Rock and Roll Circus”.

Then the entirely of “Let It Bleed”, followed by “Honky Tonk Women” and the single version of “You Can’t Always Get What You Want”, and then as many songs from “Get Your Ya-Ya’s Out” as could fit at the end of the second disc (I forget exactly which ones I chose).
        I used the “Child Of The Moon” single sleeve picture for the front cover.

It’s a really damned great compilation.
        Too bad ABKCO would never have me work on these things.

• Michael says:

After your timeline correction, David, I guess “Dandelion” and “We Love You,” which were released in the summer of 1967, could have been included in the deluxe ‘satanic’ set. Just wishful thinking.

Yes, it seems it would be nice if ABKCO hired you to help improve these RS anniversary album sets!

47. Zongadude says:

What ? More than £100 for absolutely nothing new, not a single unreleased track or outtake or edit version or whatever ?
    What is the point ?

48. Ian Harris says:

ABKCO and The Stones need their heads bashing together (but gently, no one is getting any younger).

Unreleased stuff sitting in a vault isn’t doing anyone any good. If the Stones’ 60s vaults were opened then both parties would be making some money. Is it still such a sore point with Jagger, Richards & Watts that feel they were ripped off in the 60s? Surely (materialistically) they’ve more than made up for that since?

None of us are getting any younger and I’d love to be able to hear some of the Stones outtakes legitimately and in decent audio.

• Gisabun says:

That vault material will be released maybe for the 60th anniversary SDE which won’t include the mono version of the album. :-)

49. Robert Todd says:

If this was the first time reissuing the album it would be fine. The remastering is from 2002 and most everyone has probably got the SACD from way back or one of the reissues since then which use Ludwig’s work. The blu-ray audio from a number of years back was the last time I foolishly bought this again (and the mono LP box…crikey more money than sense!) that cost me £15. Amazon says it’ll go for at least £100 after going out of print.

I forgot there was a blu-ray audio! Pretty sure I have that somewhere…

• Michael says:

Paul, I have the “Let It Bleed” blu-ray too, which was released in 2013. I can’t imagine this RS album sounding any better than the blu-ray, unless it were to be remixed in 5.1, which I seriously doubt will ever happen.

• Robert Todd says:

I stand corrected that this latest rerelease is the unaltered 2002. The blather on the Universal site from Ludwig suggests he has brought out things buried deep in the mix…presumably dust settling and paint drying!

50. Joe Mac Pherson says:

Honestly, this is too much. Again.
    When you compare what The Beatles released for their last 3, truly deluxe box sets, the old contest of “Who is better? The Beatles or The Stones?” is immediately apparent.
    This is insulting.

51. Dennis Mosen says:

When are we going to get a worthwhile aniversary set instead of being ripped of all the time they know a certain amount of die hard fans will buy them regardless of what’s on it there is loads of unrealised tracks of the stones as the bootlegs are endless give us something worthwhile

52. Peter Kavanagh says:

My understanding is that ABKCO can’t release any additional material hence no outtakes unreleased material or live material, due to contractual issues with Stones, somebody else maybe able to elaborate. Not much point in buying if you have lp or sacd already imo

53. Daryl says:

The only good thing about these Abkco monstrosities is that whenever one gets released, The Stones always release something official at the same time to either distract people from them, or steal their intended audience (or both). This time is no different. November 8th sees the release of Bridges To Buenos Aires (which I really am looking forward to!!).

54. Daryl says:

As a die-hard Stones fan I find these Abkco releases insulting.
    They really just need to stop.

55. Simon says:

So prince offers a 5cd and dvd set for approx £65 uk? This is £101 and seriously lacking content. Hey super deluxe wouldn’t it be worth starting a campaign for record labels to stop ripping us off??? This is rubbish value!

56. bruce kelso says:

this is getting very old very quick. first satanic deluxe offered nothin new. beggars last year the same. so what would be different this time around. no different. their is a a lot of unreleased songs (tho bootleg they may be ) that would of made a great 3rd disc. examples= alt version of honky tonk woman different lyrics, gimmie shelter with keith on vocal.you got the silver with mick on vocal,country honk , no fiddle or car honk,jiving sister fanny, complete version,all down the line acoustic version,i don’t know why, complete . theres bound to be more than we know. there was a double sided acetate prepared with the following,A side midnight rambler,love in vain,let it bleed anmd monkey man. B side give me some shelter,you got the silver now,sister morphine, loving cup. theres no doubt that these where works in progress but still essential for release in this 50th box. since universal is the home for both abcko and rolling stone records I see no problem cept that abcko owns the rights for the decca/London material. question, doesthat mean publishing rights at this time.looks like ya yas will be a missed opportunity to.

57. Phil Cohen says:

…and the “mono” version is a fold-down from the stereo mix. I’ll pass.

58. Karl says:

Should be a live concert included would be a sweet deal but meh…. pass

59. Steve says:

Another real disappointment. This and Beggars Banquet are amongst my favourite albums of all time [and I have more than 10,000 pieces of plastic]. I can only assume that the band did not cooperate with abcko because of the decades-old acrimonious split with Klein and co. Such a wasted opportunity.

60. Jason says:

Pretty pointless producing two SACDs. One could easily hold both the mono and stereo versions, surely.

And the box set doesn’t include the figurines seen in the video? Meanies!

61. What? Bowie? Worry? says:

Wasn’t this already released as a 50th?

62. Lee Realgone says:

Another very disappointing Stones product. Mixed formats (urgh!) and nothing particularly enticing for the fan. Why couldn’t they just put out a CD/blu ray set containing the album, the Pure Audio blu ray and a disc or two’s worth of demos and live material?

All too often a quick cash-grab for Mick & Keef…and this is one of the worst re-issues so far.

• Bill says:

I’m not sure this is a cash-grab for mick & Keef, but more for Allen Klein. But generally, the Mick & Keef camp have a rival release out at the same time so keep your eyes peeled.

63. Joao Paiva says:

if I had to choose 5 albums to carry with me to a lost island, definitely this will be one of my choices..