The Who / Who 2CD deluxe

New deluxe features 2020 live tracks

Later this month The Who will release a two-CD deluxe edition of last year’s very well received WHO album.

This double CD features an extra track on disc one – an updated version of ‘Beads On One String’ (remixed by Pete Townsend) – and acoustic live tracks from a performance in Kingston, in February. That’s Kingston-Upon-Thames by the way and not Kingston, Jamaica! The acoustic performance – presumably the Banquet Records gig – was on 14 February 2020, exactly 50 years to the day of the ‘Live at Leeds’ show.

It’s worth mentioning that the three bonus tracks on the original deluxe edition are absent from this new edition – perhaps not surprising, since Roger Daltrey came out and criticised their inclusion in the first place.

Pete Townsend has some interesting words on ‘Beads On One String’ remix. It’s really much more than a remix as he explains:

“The Beads On One String remix was an adventure to try to recapture some of the subtleties of my first solo demo. I love the studio version, but this remix by Myles Clarke and myself returns to the original synthesiser demo shared with me by my co-writer Josh Hunsacker. I also play bass rather than the genius Pino Palladino (I’ve got some nerve) and we removed the real drums and returned to computer drum tracks programmed by my co-producer Myles Clarke. We also restored Roger’s vocal track to its first incarnation which is more heartfelt. This is a gentler version of this song, less demanding perhaps, less bullying about our need to cut each other space, each on our own path. Why does it need to be more gentle than the album version? Because it must stand alone in a period when each of us is tempted to blame someone else for our troubles, maybe even God whoever we take her/him/both to be. I’m hoping it sounds less rock, and more modern indie-pop to new listeners.”

This new WHO two-CD deluxe is out on 30 October 2020. There will also be a seven-inch box set edition (it includes the Live at Kingston CD) which is issued on 4 December 2020. Not clear right now how limited and ‘available’ the box will be but Rough Trade seem to have some.

The Who

9. Break The News
10. Rockin’ In Rage
11. She Rocked My World
12. Beads On One String – Yaggerdang Remix

CD 2 (Live at Kingston)

1. Intro
2. Substitute (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
3. Squeeze Box (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
4. Tattoo (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
5. The Kids Are Alright (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
6. Break The News (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
7. She Rocked My World (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
8. Won’t Get Fooled Again (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)

WHO 7″ box set with CD

9. Break The News
10. Rockin’ In Rage

11. She Rocked My World
12. Beads On One String – Yaggerdang Remix

CD : Live at Kingston

1. Intro
2. Substitute (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
3. Squeeze Box (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
4. Tattoo (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
5. The Kids Are Alright (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
6. Break The News (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
7. She Rocked My World (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)
8. Won’t Get Fooled Again (Acoustic – Live at Kingston)

42 responses to The Who / Who 2CD deluxe

1. Wayne K says:

Glad they put it out. Glad folks are buying it if they feel it is essential. I’m not. I loath these constant reissues within a year of a title already released.

2. Thomas Beattie says:

let me see now deluxe cd normal cd autographed cd black vinyl lp picture disc lp cd with magazine double coloured with 10 lp double hmv exclusive lp cassette and now 7 singles box and double cd what happen to the days when an lp was released on cd lp cassette and left at that any wonder bands and singers have an ever decreasing fan base

3. Nick says:

Does anyone know if it’s the early or the late Feb 14 show from Kingston featured on the bonus disc, as includes tracks performed at both?

• Ollie Carlisle says:

Don’t think it’s all from one show. They kept messing up Break The News so might have had to use a version from the third or fourth show, whichever one had the fewest mistakes! I can see why they’re focussing on the 14th being the 50th anniversary of Live At Leeds in the publicity but I expect it just boils down to which ones were the best individual performances of the fours shows.

4. Ollie Carlisle says:

Seems good value to me (especially when compared to Steven Wilson’s latest three track cd single which is going for a tenner). The remix is sufficiently different to be worth having and the seven live tracks will be great. Having been lucky enough to go to the second Kingston gig it’s only a shame they didn’t include Pinball Wizard and, in particular, a terrific version of Behind Blue Eyes with a short acapella vocal harmony section which sounded amazing.

5. Jarmo Keranen says:

I’ll save my money and wait for the 50th anniversary edition of Who’s Next next year. As a recording band i lost interested in them after 1978. They are still a very good live band but records after that are boring!

6. DaveM says:

As others have pointed out it’s normal practice now. What’s not to like? Seven acoustic live tracks and a remix for a tenner and as it doesn’t repeat the three bonus tracks from the first deluxe, it means that ones a keeper. Alright by me and I’m a Yorkshireman LOL.

7. Ian Hartley says:

The 7″ box set looks like a thing of beauty with it’s Peter Blake artwork- Rough Trade seems to be sold out on-line but the official Who store has some at £40 which seems reasonable and it includes the live CD as well. Nice for Christmas- its on the list for Santa !

8. Beechlander says:

It’s a good album but not sure why they would re-release it again so soon after it first came out with the Kingston show – why not just release the Kingston show as a stand-alone? Would have been a good release for RSD.

‘So soon’? It has been a year. As Warren says, it’s basically standard practise these days, to come up with another version of the album down the line, so what’s with all the shock/disappointment… ?
      The industry used to do this with ‘tour editions’ of albums etc. Hardly new, but yes, much more prevalent.

• KB says:

Totally agree, maybe a set with all four shows (CD/Blu-Ray) or as you say a RSD Release would have been cool. I was at the evening show on the 14th right at the front, it was fantastic I must say though I do not like it when bands attempt to get you to buy what you’ve already just bought again! The 7″ vinyl thing seems a bit crazy to me but anyway, glad The Who are still (half) rocking and I do hope they release a 5oth Who’s Next though i’m unsure what’s left to release after the brilliant deluxe edition from about 15 years ago with the Young Vic & Mobile studio session.

9. Warren says:

I rather like the remix of Beads on One String. Will probably pick this up – having got the signed deluxe edition from the Who website last year. I think this is a wonderful album, far better than we had any right to expect at this point in their career – incredibly solid, although I’m probably with Daltrey on the bonus tracks even if This Gun Will Misfire should probably have been on the album proper, the others don’t really fit at all. Not nuts about buying it again but this is hardly a new thing so I’m not sure what all the carping is about. I do think The Who need to check themselves a bit on the amount of compilations which keep turning up but this is a pretty obvious release and not one I have an issue with. Hoping to get to see them live one last time at the Albert Hall next Spring (who knows at this point).

10. Jeff Y. says:

I knew there was a good reason I held off on buying this the first time around.

11. Phil says:

“…very well received WHO album” Really????

I’m glad I only paid $2.00 for last year’s single CD release. I own one too many copies now.

Yes, it got loads of good reviews. And I think it’s pretty good. You don’t like it then?

• Jules(Rules) says:

eclipsed mostly panned the album, and I’ve heard similar comments from others. Radio and mainstream media celebrated it in much the same way that they celebrated Sting’s “My Songs” endeavour. I wouldn’t pay too much attention to that.

eclipsed?

• Old Bill says:

Well, if ‘eclipsed’ and Jules’ mates said so, then I suppose everyone else was very wrong on this. It’s a bad Who album, official.

And I’d been enjoying it so much, too….

• Phil says:

“You don’t like it then?“

Not particularly, no. I went through the whole album but nothing jumped out at me, nothing warranted a re-listen. The songs sounded structured enough, so I could tell that they spent some time writing and producing them, and they usually sounded Who-ish, but I still walked away with that ‘meh’ feeling of indifference.

12. Carlos says:

At least it isn’t so fast as Norah Jones’s latest CD, which is being re-released as a 2 CD version just 3 months or so after the initial 1 CD version

13. Pete says:

Won’t get fooled again.

After this one.

14. bruce kelso says:

this is a money grab. shame on you pete and roger. what should be done is the WHO bootleg archive series. starting in 1968 to 1974. first out should be the san fran show from dec 12/13 71.

15. Taffy Merrick says:

I would have thought about maybe buying the live tracks from Kingston but it’s pointless buying the album again as I have it on vinyl. (Last gig I went to before covid.)

16. SeanL says:

I was lucky to attend this gig and it’s a no brainier for me to remember a fantastic gig

Stop with the negative comments people, no one is forcing you to buy it again !

17. Bill says:

Shame although not surprising about the bonus tracks from last year. Got Nothing To Prove is a fantastic song and arrangement.

18. Rob says:

What a way to screw the fans. “Hey thanks for spending your hard money on our new album last year. Now buy it again with a few live tracks!” Not cool.

19. Bassel says:

That’s what you call pulling a McCartney

• Dave H says:

No, if they were pulling a McCartney it would have come in cardboard guitar case and been priced at £500! £10.99 for 2 CDs doesn’t really come close.

• Dave H says:

It’s not £10.99 for 2 CD’s if you already have the first one. It’s £10.99 to get the Live CD and a remix.

I’m not sure if people would prefer a stand alone live CD of the Kingston gig for £10, would you feel less cheated? Maybe with similar artwork to ‘Live at Leeds’.

I went to the first gig of the four performed. Roger gave the audience the choice of ‘The Kids’ or ‘Tattoo’. I personally wanted ‘Tattoo’ since they haven’t played it for ages but ‘The Kids’ won and ‘Tattoo’ wasn’t performed.

• Mister Stick says:

You get the feeling that there is a warehouse of plastic discs somewhere and rather that let the discs become discounted remainders, they decided this would be a way to get rid of them at less loss.

Look, this is my fave band, and I want the live stuff and new remix on CD. But I would have dropped 10 bucks for just for that, and it wouldn’t have left a bad taste in my mouth. Along with the new dirt-cheap, smartly-programmed, 3 CD “Essential” compilation coming, it would have made for nice PR. Especially with the price of things like the Elvis Costello’s latest version of Armed Forces (200 smackers) and with a lot of people not exactly flush with music money. Can’t understand why Pete or Rog or their management or their label or whoever can’t see it this way. They could have looked downright heroic. Instead they come across as crass.

By the way, has anyone else noticed all the attention to Who’s Next material lately? Two new lyric videos have appeared The Who website, both for songs from that album, with no explanation as to why. Sony is using a (sort-of) orchestral version of “Baba O’Riley” in the new Playstation ad. And Rolling Stone just ran a piece all about Who’s Next is Butch Vig’s favorite album.

The album turns 50 next year. Just sayin’…

Thanks, everybody.

• Stuart Ansell says:

I was at the same show! I was shouting for tattoo as well… Great show though.

20. Thilo says:

They have to do something, the previous deluxe edition is about 6€ in stores in Germany!

21. Graham says:

It is the Banquet Records gig. I went but not to the night that is featured. Not really a huge Who fan but it was a great evening.

• Tim Abbott says:

Yeah, I was at the Wednesday gig too (both of them) – they were very entertaining, almost as much with their repartee as the songs.

I think I’ll have to buy this album for a third time just to get that gig.