Thin Lizzy / Rock Legends box set

Thin Lizzy / Rock Legends 6CD+DVD box set

Almost 100 tracks, mostly unreleased!

To celebrate 50 years of Thin Lizzy Universal Music are releasing Rock Legends, a 6CD+DVD box set that features an astonishing 74 unreleased tracks.

This box covers the band’s whole career with audio newly mastered by Andy Pearce. The content encompasses a raft of unreleased material including demos, radio sessions, live recordings and rare single edits. The track listing has been compiled by Thin Lizzy guitarist Scott Gorham and Lizzy expert Nick Sharp from a collection of newly discovered tapes most of which have never been heard before.

Rock Legends features 6CDs, a DVD, and books, prints and more (click image to enlarge)

The DVD features the hour long ‘Bad Reputation’ BBC documentary and the band’s legendary performance on the Rod Stewart ‘A Night on the Town’ TV Special from 1976.

The set also contains replicas of the nine tour programmes bound into a hard-backed book, the very sought-after Phil Lynott poetry books, four prints by legendary Lizzy cover artist Jim Fitzpatrick and a book containing quotes by all the members of the band about their experiences playing with Phil Lynott and Thin Lizzy, along with some famous fans (Slash, Lemmy, Joe Elliott, Geddy Lee, Billy Corgan, Bobby Gillespie etc.) talking about the band.

Rock Legends features 99 tracks in total. As stated earlier,  74 are unreleased and 83 have never been released on CD or streaming. This will be issued on 23 October via UMC. Quite a good pre-order price via Amazon UK (it’s £100 elsewhere).

Thin Lizzy

Buffalo Gal + Intro – RTE Radio Eireann Session 16 January 1973*
Suicide + Intro – RTE Radio Eireann Session 16 January 1973*
Broken Dreams + Intro – RTE Radio Eireann Session 16 January 1973*
Eddie’s Blues/Blue Shadows + Intro – RTE Radio Eireann Session 16 January 1973*
Dublin + Intro – RTE Radio Eireann Session 16 January 1973*
Ghetto Woman – RTE Radio Eireann Session 04 January 1974*
Things Ain’t Working Out Down at The Farm – RTE Radio Eireann Session 04 January 1974*
Going Down – RTE Radio Eireann Session 04 January 1974*

Suicide -Hammersmith Day 3 (30/05/1980)*
Sha La La – Hammersmith Day 2 (29/05/1980)*
Rosalie – Hammersmith Day 2 (29/05/1980)*
Whiskey in The Jar – Hammersmith Day 3 (30/05/1980)*

DVD

NIGHT ON THE TOWN – ROD STEWART LWT TV SPECIAL BROADCAST OCTOBER 24th 1976

Four songs never before commercially released recorded for a Rod Stewart TV special in 1976.

Jailbreak
Emerald
The Boys Are Back in Town
Rosalie / Cowgirl’s Song

BAD REPUTATION DOCUMENTARY

Never before commercially released 60-minute documentary made by Linda Brusasco and first broadcast on BBC4 in September 2015.

76 responses to Thin Lizzy / Rock Legends box set

1. Pingback:Hear the original demo of Thin Lizzy’s ‘Running Back’ | superdeluxeedition

2. Martin says:

I noticed the set is no longer available on the Amazon UK site. I did a pre-order on it so I wonder if that means it will not be filled and I should look elsewhere? Any ideas?

3. Mike says:

Available on MusicVaultz in Canada now. $35 cheaper than amazon.co.uk after delivery and tax.

Makes me think it will show up on Amazon Canada next week

4. Geof says:

Ordered without problem — and without VAT — from Amazon UK. Can’t wait. Now, if only whatever the issues are with the Gary Moore catalog could be resolve and we could get a real deluxe Back on the Streets, with the other instrumental tracks removed when the label wanted some vocal tracks instead of an all-instrumental album, the three UK version Lynott-sung songs AND the Gary versions that were re-recorded for the US release, “House of Pain,” Track 10 and so on. And I’m sure there’s plenty of other demos, outtakes, alternate versions etc..

At least this appears to have Lizzy tracks that Moore is on, so any issues with those were apparently worked out.

5. TL says:

Does anyone know if the DVD is in PAL or NTSC? Also, is it region coded or open region? Thanks.

6. Andrew Hartshorn says:

Been waiting 8 years for this, since this article. Some may not have seen this interesting read. As you can see there is plenty more in the vaults.

7. Eben MacDonald says:

Forgive me if someone else has posted on this issue… I live in the U.S. and attempted to pre-order this Thin Lizzy set from Amazon U.K. and I got a message saying: “This item cannot be shipped to your selected delivery location. Please choose a different delivery location.” I’ve ordered and received other items from Amazon U.K. during the pandemic with no problems. Anyone have any idea what the issue here might be? Thanks.

Amazon UK have sent virtually nothing to the US due to the pandemic, so this is inline with that policy.

• Jeff says:

I think you are mistaken Paul because I’ve been ordering many items lately from Amazon UK…..and have already received them….as well as your 2 books I ordered from you….thanks so very much :-)….this title they won’t ship, just don’t know why

• David Binder says:

Ditto: I’ve preordered the Richard & Linda Thompson box landing next month, with no problems at Amazon UK ( and I’ve ordered other stuff too). They only allow shipping Global Priority, which is expensive, but that’s ok as it’s still cheaper than buying at Amazon Canada (I live in Canada).

So, while this box holds little interest to me, it IS odd that they won’t ship it to USA (or, I assume, Canada). It could have something to do with where the stock will be shipping from, it’s still odd, especially since both SDE & Burning Shed are shipping across the pond…

• Graham says:

Yes, I get the same message for shipping to Canada. This first appeared at the start of the pandemic but disappeared in late June amd i was able to get the Ammonia Avenue box set, but i notice it came back a couple of weeks ago. No real logic to it.

• Jonathan Riley says:

They are now shipping it to the USA

8. Jarmo Keranen says:

Just listened single edits of Whiskey In The Jar and The Rocker. They are terrible compared to full lenght versions. Both edits cuts Eric Bell’s great solos and ruins them totally!

9. DaveM says:

Now that’s what I call a box set! Mostly unreleased, packaging looks great and a fair price (a third of the cost of the Flaming Pie deluxe to put it in perspective). The producers made the right call with the single edits if a best of type album had to be included.
    I believe, if memory serves, that the Bad Reputation documentary was first shown in 2011 when the first double pack reissues started to be released.

10. Joe Scutt says:

Oh yeh gotta get that,

11. Alan Blevin says:

For those not happy at first with the disc full of single edits it has been confirmed that the record company insisted on a hits disc as part of this box.The producers decided if they had to do this the single edits might at least be more interesting to most prospective buyers who would mostly already have the album versions.

12. David Fisher says:

Cor blimey – this is terrific. Looks very very interesting. Ordered. This is going to be one expensive autumn!

13. Andy says:

That demo version of Jailbreak is fantastic.

14. Shaun says:

Ordered. Looks excellent value. Presumably these are some of the unreleased tracks that were “discovered” about 10 years ago and reported in the national as well as the music press. It would be nice if the final UK concert at Reading 1983 was reissued and the BBC boxset aswell as both are extremely expensive on EBay and Discogs.

15. Steve j says:

Lovely set to look forward to
    Bit pricy even with Amazons pre-order price of £82 considering you can buy the Thin Lizzy Essential 51 Track 3CD Set for the wallet busting sum of £4.99

• Jarmo Keranen says:

When you look at the material (books, tour programmes etc.) this box contains and how much unreleased recordings too, it’s not pricey at all!

• SimonP says:

I just picked up that 3 disc set in Morrisons for a fiver. They had a huge bargain bin full of £2 CDs in there, too. Mostly compilations, but some interesting things, too. I got Van Morrison (The Prophet Speaks), a James Morrison one (all the Morrisons in Morrisons!) and some Trevor Nelson soul classics comp. The last Lana del Rey album and the Sting/Shaggy one were in there amongst others along with lots of Now albums and several reggae comps.

Not a terrible selection for two quid a pop.

16. Paul English says:

Ordered!
    Worth the asking price for the disc of single edits.

17. Gary says:

Wow. This looks amazing. I agree with a few that have mentioned the first CD. Not sure too many will need the single edits but the list of demos look great. I wonder if they are the same demos that have appeared on the deluxe CDs that were released a few years ago, or the same as the Record Store day double album of Black Rose and the forthcoming Chinatown double album.

• Leigh says:

Supposedly Universal were insistent that the set contain a greatest hits disc. In order to make it at least a little bit interesting, they used the single mixes instead of the regular album versions, many of which have never been on CD before.

• Jimbo says:

None of the demos from the deluxe editions are duplicated. A couple from the Black Rose RSD LP reissue appear in alternate mixes.

18. Peter Stillwell says:

Come on Scott,
    Where are all the live recordings you have. They need to be released!

19. Jim Lee says:

Not a huge fan but this is tempting I saw the Dubliners once in Galway who began with “ a traditional Irish rock song – Whiskey in the Jar!” Maybe the traditionalists didn’t like it but I think Lizzy’s version is great- as were the Dubliners.

20. Good Luck Seeker says:

Not a huge Thin Lizzy fan but I own most of their albums and the Vagabonds box. I did get to see them live at Reading, their final UK show (1983?).

I’m in for this box, ordered from The Tax Dodgers but hopefully a better price will unravel.

21. DeePman says:

I am looking forward for to get this and a really nice treat for the Lizzy fans! Great to have a release of mostly unreleased stuff instead of best of plus 10 new tracks.
    2028 we will get the 50th anniversary Live and Dangerous 4 cd box set of the Hammersmith and Tower Theater concerts?

• EDUARDO says:

Soon, I Hope. I dream whit LIVE AND DANGEROUS COMPLETE CONCERTS.

• fan says:

Eduardo : most probably for 2028

• The Rocker says:

There are complete professionally recorded shows in trading circles and bootlegs of the first 1977 Philadelphia show and the second of the three 1976 Hammersmith concerts that made up Live and Dangerous.

Would love full concerts in future box sets but I am not sure Scott Gorham would do it.

22. Brian NEWBY says:

But when will we get a remastered decent version of LIFE

23. GARETH TAYLOR says:

Looks like a great release but cd1 is completely pointless….could have been another live CD….

24. MarkD says:

Looks like a good set to go with the Vagabonds Kings Warriors Angels from 2001 and At The BBC from 2011.
    Hopefully more live recordings will be found for either stand alone releases or asa live box set.

25. Rare Glam says:

I don’t have prime at the moment but on pre-ordering this box, there seems to be an offer of ‘get it delivered on the day of release’ on Amazon UK (within UK). So min’es day of release delivery but with the £2.49 delivery charge removed.

26. John says:

I decided to go for the signed one..Only nine left now if anyone interested..I think 250 originally..no idea of distribution.

It is a shame that the print isn’t signed by more.

27. paul cutts says:

Nice set but two things bug me about it though, firstly, do not see the point in single edits, the original tracks as recorded would be better. I suppose most fans will have them anyway, it just seem like a waste of space. Secondly the DVD is really poor, any decent Lizzy footage has been put out and seen before. Overall though providing the demo’s are listenable it just about passes muster.

• Chris Squires says:

Re: Single edits. This was covered only a couple of days ago, can’t remember which thread.
      I am of the opposite persuasion. I think a single edit has a lot of value.
      It’ll be how many will remember hearing the particular track, die-hard fans will have the album version, probably many times over. So as an introduction to Thin Lizzy it’ll do the job, setting the scene for a deeper investigation if you want. Plus of course, as has been the case with the re-issues of the NOW CDs, the correct single edit can be hard to get hold of with album versions being used by lazy compilers.

• Andrew says:

Agree. Just a point on single edits. There are those which just fade out the album version but many single edits are often a different beast.
        I missed out buying many and now when I hear them, kick myself for not buying them!

• paul cutts says:

Hi
        Whenever I hear a new ‘single’ I immediately always look for the full album version and I always have done. I see it like this, if you went to The Tate/NG and half of the paintings on show where half finished/blanked out or the edges were cut off would you not want to see it all. Similarly if going the see a film would you want to see an edited version with bits cut out, so for me edited single versions unless significantly changed are just a NO NO. The record company are just pandering to radio to get airplay with edited versions.

28. colm47 says:

Great news Paul.

Philo would have been 71 today. Gone too soon in 86.
    Dubliners ( like myself) and Irish people in general,
    are still in love with you Philo!

29. Rare Glam says:

Will go nicely with the ‘At The BBC’ set from a few years ago.

30. John says:

Ps..what a really lazy title!! Bet that took a lot of effort! Good to see the singles in one place.I have all of the originals and there were often excellent non-LP b sides..

31. Neil Hunt says:

I’m a fan of the band owning all their albums but I think this is too much for me because of all the demos and the price for me personally. I was hoping that there was going to be a 2CD edition to match the download version where it contains Disc 1 with all of the 7″ versions and the 2nd Disc is the live Chinatown Tour material.

32. John says:

Thank you Paul,that is excellent news..There were stories about these finds some years ago.

My heart jumped at first because I thought it was the wonderful but totally elusive BBC box..

I loved Lizzy from the beginning ,especially the Decca albums with Eric Bell..As the years went by I was saddened by the increasing use of violence and misogyny in the lyrics..Maybe just my opinion. Almost always a great band live,until they became a cliche..I saw all of the lineups over the years..

Good luck!

I will certainly order one but rather too expensive at present..

33. erikrocks says:

This doesn’t show up on the US Amazon…any ideas?

34. Ian Hartley says:

Looks like a superb box set- correctly assembled to appeal to the right audience- went for the signed version- worth it for a few extra £. As always, thanks for the heads up on this Paul. Great work !

35. Louis says:

Very interesting box set, but once again, the price is too high based on what we get.

On this case, there are just CDs, one DVD and few prints with a small book. I miss some HQ format on this box set.

I like a lot the box set format for any music band… but most of them have an inflated price. It’s a shame.

36. Kevin Henry says:

I adore Lizzy and saw them in 1981 and 1983 and have the BBC In Concerts from the Hammersmith Odeon on these tours. I would have loved to have seen the 1980 show at the venue.
    It is amazing that they still keep discovering tapes.

37. Jeff says:

Hi Paul

Will there be any difference in the Japanese release……Like extra tracks or maybe SHM etc.?

38. Paul Wren says:

This is a quality, major release for one of the most important Irish/American/Scottish rock bands of all time. The demo here is so good, pretty much the finished article. More will come as there are good quality Black Rose demos circulating on bootlegs as well. I wonder if these demos will see a vinyl release in due course as this is the only thing holding me back from buying right now.

• Jimbo says:

Most of the Black Rose demos have been covered by the deluxe edition and the RSD LP reissue, plus this new box set.

39. CJ Feeney says:

Wow.
    I assume the *indicates new to CD.
    Loads of demos. But I think I’d prefer more live stuff, they had so many great guitarists over the years (and Midge Ure) and the “two guitars” line up is what made them so influential. Hearing different takes on the material from different guitarists would have made this more desirable.
    I’m also surprised that Scott is only band member involved.

40. Jonathan says:

My Amazon order says this will be released on 9th October. In any case, looking forward to getting this – great underrated band.

41. Chris Squires says:

Ah just as I lay out a polemic about a lack of quality within so many new releases these guys make that redundant. I am only a minor Lizzy appreciator, but hey this seems to be a beauty.

What a “Dream come true” for those that really love the Lizzy. That Jailbreak demo is powerful….

• Lars Hansson says:

Hi there
      This has been in the works for several years .
      Brilliant for any TL fan, great for anyone.
      As a rock n roll/ hardrock fan i say if you haven’t listened to TL you have missed a big piece of music history.

42. SimonF says:

Magnificent set. I’m not enough of a Lizzy fan to go for this myself (I’ll stick with my two CD Best Of collection), but for those who are this has got be a must-have!

43. J says:

This is a dream come true. Saw these guys in concert like 7 times. One of the most underrated bands of all time.
    J

44. Hassan says:

Recordstore have a signed by Scott Gorham version for £100ish…