U2 / All That You Can’t Leave Behind vinyl set – unboxed

U2 / All That You Can't Leave Behind unboxing video

Watch the unboxing video

SDEtv lifts the lid off U2‘s enormous All That You Can’t Leave Behind vinyl box set which contains 11 pieces of vinyl and a book. Watch the video…

The reissue of All That You Can’t Leave Behind is out now. It comes with a download code. Other formats include a five-CD super deluxe, 2LP vinyl and 2CD deluxe edition.

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 11LP vinyl super deluxe

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 5CD box set

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 2CD edition

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 2LP vinyl

All That You Can’t Leave Behind 5CD box set

CD 1: The Album

1. Beautiful Day (04:07)
  2. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (04:32)
  3. Elevation (03:47)
  4. Walk On (04:56)
  5. Kite (04:26)
  6. In A Little While (03:39)
  7. Wild Honey (03:46)
  8. Peace on Earth (04:48)
  9. When I Look at the World (04:17)
  10. New York (05:30)
  11. Grace (05:31)
  12. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (03:43)

CD 2: B-Sides and Demos:

1. Levitate (05:09)
  2. Summer Rain (04:07)
  3. Stateless (04:07)
  4. Always (03:48)
  5. Love You Like Mad (04:18)
  6. Big Girls Are Best (03:36)
  7. Don’t Take Your Guns to Town (04:13)
  8. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Acoustic) (03:44)
  9. Flower Child (04:55)

CDs 3 and 4: Live from Boston 2001

1. Elevation (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:09)
  2. Beautiful Day (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:43)
  3. Until the End of the World (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:15)
  4. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:40)
  5. Kite (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:25)
  6. Gone (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:55)
  7. New York (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:51)
  8. I Will Follow (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:59)
  9. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (07:23)
  10. In A Little While (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:54)
  11. Desire (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (03:06)
  12. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:50)
  13. Bad (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:22)
  14. Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:31)
  15. Bullet the Blue Sky (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:18)
  16. With or Without You (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:31)
  17. The Fly (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (07:55)
  18. Wake Up Dead Man (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (01:25)
  19. Walk On (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:38)

CD 5: Remixes:

1. Elevation (Paul Van Dyk Remix) (07:56)
  2. Elevation (Influx Remix) (04:03)
  3. New York (Carnegie’s Deli Remix) (07:05)
  4. New York (Superman Kicks Ativan Remix) (07:31)
  5. Beautiful Day (Quincey & Sonance Remix) (07:56)
  6. Beautiful Day (The Perfecto Mix) (07:50)
  7. In A Little While (Nightmares on Wax Remix) (05:15)
  8. Walk On (Wyclef Jean Remix) (04:43)
  9. When I Look at the World (Picante Remix) (05:14)
  10. Elevation (Escalation Mix) (07:05)
  11. Elevation (Quincey & Sonance Remix) (06:55)

All That You Can’t Leave Behind 11-disc vinyl box set

Summer Rain
Stateless
Always
Love You Like Mad
Big Girls are Best
Don’t Take Your Guns to Town
Stuck in a Moment (Acoustic)
Flower Child

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
In A Little While
Desire
Stay

LP 6 Elevation: Live in Boston

Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bullet the Blue Sky
With or Without You
The Fly
Wake Up Dead Man
Walk On

12-inch #1

Elevation (Paul Van Dyk Remix)
Elevation (Influx Remix)

12-inch #2

New York (Carnegie’s Deli Mix)
New York (Superman Kicks Ativan Mix)

12-inch #3

Beautiful Day (Quincey and Sonance Remix)
Beautiful Day (The Perfecto Mix)

12-inch #4

In A Little While (Nightmares on Wax Remix)
Walk On (Wyclef Jean Remix)
When I Look at the World (Picante Remix)

12-inch #5
Elevation (Escalation Mix)
Elevation (Quincey and Sonance Remix)

CD 1: The Album

1. Beautiful Day (04:07)
  2. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (04:32)
  3. Elevation (03:47)
  4. Walk On (04:56)
  5. Kite (04:26)
  6. In A Little While (03:39)
  7. Wild Honey (03:46)
  8. Peace on Earth (04:48)
  9. When I Look at the World (04:17)
  10. New York (05:30)
  11. Grace (05:31)
  12. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (03:43)

CD 2: Elevation: Live (highlights)

1. Elevation (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:09)
  2. Beautiful Day (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:46)*
  3. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:47)*
  4. Kite (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:22)*
  5. I Will Follow (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:09)*
  6. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (08:05)*
  7. Desire (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (03:06)
  8. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:50)
  9. Bad (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:22)
  10. Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:06)*
  11. With or Without You (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:28)*
  12. The Fly (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (07:22)*
  13. Walk On (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:37)*

41 responses to U2 / All That You Can’t Leave Behind vinyl set – unboxed

1. Kauwgompie says:

One of the things I appreciate about your videos is that you keep it real. It’s indeed a beautiful box but it has glaring shortcomings, most importantly aside from a few remixes which I like, there is nothing new at all. Why no alternative versions, demos, outtakes or 5.1 mix? At least offer an unreleased live show. Look at the Ultravox and Goats Head Soup boxes, at least they offer a 5.1 mix and in the case of Ultravox, plenty of demos, outtakes etc.
    After Achtung Baby and Zooropa, U2 went downhill fast. Of course ATYCLB is not a bad album, it’s just boring. There is nothing exciting about it. If you then reissue this album without any wow factor, you get this “let’s-wait-for-a-deal-alert” box set.

2. smorrissey says:

I passed TJT 30th boxset and i’m passing this too. Bulky, expensive, lack of new content, etc..

However i was fool enough to pay for the 2cd’s deluxe version, why? i guess because of the new remaster and to accompany my previous Joshua tree 2cd’s deluxe version from 2017 in my collection.

I could buy the cd boxset right now but what for??…perhaps if they offer a black friday discount i’ll bait….

3. Chris Squires says:

Jeez, I can’t believe I am going to say this. But in a world where the UK will be banning the sale of anything but electric cars in 9 years time, this set will just hasten the cries of “waste”. I can understand if you are recreating an original 12″ with 6 minutes on each side but there is absolutely no excuse, NONE, to be creating so many pieces of Vinyl when half the amount would have done. At 33rpm there should be at least a 20 minute minimum for all new creations that are not recreating an original.
    It kills on so many levels, not just the extra Vinyl, but the extra paper and then the extra weight needs to be lugged around the world. I am no greenie, not by a long way, but this is the “Hummer” of it’s generation. The excess draws attention to it and the industry.

4. George says:

I find it very frustrating that record companies / artists on the whole have now seem to have forgone the visual aspect of the SDE’s. Here for example, they did loads of UK tv, the TOTP for “Beautiful day” from the top of the Clarence Hotel, CD UK, TOTP for “Walk on” with Dave Stewart & Maybe a few of those little clips they used to put up on their website at the time.

There’s a few exceptions like the brilliant concert on the Prince SOTT box, along with the videos & I think it’s a crying shame. It leaves an empty space in these things. U2 could have done a docu too like they did with AB, as this is one of their landmark albums too.

5. Robert says:

Although I like this video of the vinyl boxset, I hope that you will do a unboxing video for the 5 CD set as well.

6. Peter Muscutt says:

Just on the topic of unboxing videos Paul (not necessarily the U2 one), will you be doing one for the upcoming Mansun set?

7. fan says:

Am I correct that only
    Love You Like Mad and Flower Child are exclusive to this?

I’ve collected all the singles back then
    (minus Elevation [Biffco mix])
    and don’t remember these B-sides

• Milosz says:

Love You Like Mad and Flower Child are not singled B-sides but outtakes from the album sessions. However, they are not exclusive to this set. I have both and also the third outtake, Levitate, on the Medium, Rare & Remastered U2.com subscriber exclusive CD. Only things I’m actually missing from the second CD of the set are Don’t Take Your Guns to Town (I don’t have the Elevation single) and Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Acoustic). I also miss a couple remixes. Still wondering if that’s enough to buy this.

8. George says:

When this was announced I did go back & listen to and watch the “Elevation” DVD. It is a very very good album. It’s greater than the sum of its parts in a way, as in it flows so well. There are a lot of albums with good songs on which are not great albums but this , is a great album. I did see this tour in a UK Arena in the summer of 2001 & it was a brilliant experience.

But, I’m not gonna buy this. I did buy the 2 CD version just for the live gig but for a band that literally records everything, they could’ve put out say the New York Farm club gig, Demo’s a plenty, other concerts. There’s loads more they could’ve done! They did that with the Achtung boxset with demos so why not here? Couldn’t be arsed or too many accountants at the label not knowing their arses from their elbows?

Now, give us a “Pop” SDE & stop jumping your history & sort it out! We get the Joshua Tree twice but no “Pop”? Sort it out U2!!!

9. Jonathon says:

Great unboxing video Paul. Not a proper U2 fan myself, except for Joshua tree and earlier albums, but thus is a completist boxset with cool looks and design. Im not overly familiar with this album except for the singles, but my curiosity will make me give it a spotify listen. A lot of the boxsets are out of my price range mostly, but in recent years Ive made exceptions for first Bowie vinyl boxset, Blondie (Studio albums) and Abba (Studio albums vinyl) and Adam and the Ants (Kings of the wild frontier gold vinyl). With so many good music choices this year my christmas shortlist of gifts to me is still kind of loose but provisionally made up of Toyah (Sheep Farming in Barnet album), Tears for Fears (Sowing the Seeds album) and Shakin Stevens boxset and maybe McCartney lll if I can stretch to it. U2 is a nice boxset overall for people who love the album.

10. Halici Arif says:

In general, I don’t mind the idea of including 12″ singles in a vinyl box set *if* they replicate the original 12″ singles. But in this specific case, they don’t and they seem to be just random mixes thrown onto vinyl. An Unforgettable Fire or War vinyl box set with replicas of the original singles would’ve been fantastic. They could’ve even done that with Joshua Tree, but chose not to for whatever reason.

Apart from U2, what I wouldn’t give for Duran Duran to do something similar with their first three albums – a proper vinyl release along with replica 12″ singles in a box set. New Order has come close, falling short of a single box with everything in it. I do appreciate their 12″ replicas, along with those from Joy Division, since the Factory originals are so hard to come by in good shape.

11. Steven_Wilsons_Prog_Cat says:

Great video Paul, thanks, I’m the opposite of you Paul, love the first half of the album but then I lose interest, New York came to life live and the bonus track ‘the ground beneath her feet’ is just sublime, I bought both sets, it is rather pointless in places and bereft of rare/unreleased content which is a shame because U2 have a huge archive of demo’s and outtakes that they just never release, I would have loved a classic album style documentary dvd but I guess topping up their pandemic salary fund took precedent, but still… It’s lovely to have and hold and to look at.

12. Albert says:

When are they going to give Rattle and Hum the glorious deluxe reissue treatment it deserves?

How about an official release to document the Lovetown Tour as well?

As far the ‘official’ U2 history is concerned, 1988 to 1990 never happened. Absolutely ridiculous.

13. Kevin Brown says:

It’s really great to see U2 playing their part in reducing plastic waste, they have certainly played their part with that 11 Vinyl disc set. Whilst I have absolutely no problem with vinyl records ( I still buy vinyl ) that amount in one box set is ridiculous especially when all those useless remixes could have been put on a lot less discs. I do hope the U2 guys will think “Less Is Best” when it comes to their Next Vinyl box set.

• Dan says:

It’s single use plastic which is the issue, since vinyl records are collected and stored then it’s hardly plastic waste, the only thing on this box set that could be considered waste is the shrink wrap, as that goes straight in the bin, assuming the box is opened.

14. Paul Wren says:

A well made box set diminished by remixes that do seem to be unnecessary padding – I would have preferred another live album instead. I bought the original vinyl at the time and will be sticking with this.

15. Beechlander says:

Would have preferred a Zooropa or Pop deluxe set, not sure why these two have been neglected as there should be a plethora of material/mixes to do them justice. ATYCLB is a decent album but marks U2’s descent into MOR for me. “Elevation” is a cracking song though. May be interested in the CD set if the price comes down. Vinyl set too bloated with the 12 inches.

• CJ says:

I think we got all that we are going to get in terms of Zooropa with it being released as part of the Achtung Baby box years back. It seems a shame, because I’m sure there’s more there that could have been mined for a dedicated release, but they seem to be treating that album as an outtakes extension of AB.

• smorrissey says:

AB 30th anniversary coming next year so….it could happen in 2023 for zooropa if physical formats still exist of course…

16. patjoller says:

Massive U2, but this is something I’m gonna pass (it’s the first time I won’t get anything on those re-release programs). Already have everything and the only thing missing are useless remixes. They added too many vinyls with only 1 remix per side to be a good deal. This is their least effort by far to do something great but that goes along with an album full of uninteresting MOR songs. And Pop is still neglected by the band.

17. Steve Bliss says:

Dang. This was a comeback album for U2. In hindsight, it was the start of their middle aged period. I admit, I never buy the big U2 box sets, the prices are too high.

Both the LP and CD boxes look great, but generally, I agree with other commenters – this feels like a lazy compilation.

No hi-res or surround sound mixes? That’s pretty much my benchmark these days for single-album super box sets.

No concert video? Sheesh.

At least they didn’t go crazy putting a bunch of different-sized discs in one box. Or, you know, marbles and scarves.

The 12″ singles would have been better compiled into an LP for the box, or released as separate product – either individually or as a singles box set, Depeche Mode-style.

It would have been interesting to see the packaging if they delivered the poster in a roll :)

18. Rob says:

Really helpful video, thanks Paul. I was undecided between the CD and vinyl editions, and I think – on value – I now tip in favour of the CD super deluxe, and perhaps getting the album as a standalone vinyl.

19. -SG- says:

This set is really redundant and unlike the Costello set which features a classic album and cool art, this does not even offer anything new that is even remotely interesting, this album was a bit mild to begin with, not even cool looking colored vinyl or unique art. It is common knowledge that U2 re-work songs endlessly, there should be no shortage of outtakes or alternates. The “rarities” have been out there since the “complete U2” set so long ago. It is hard to understand who they had in mind when they made this. I’ve had have 99% of this excluding perhaps 1 mix for nearly 20 years. This looks to be more of an assemblage of already available material, which would be released on a streaming service, but not what one would expect to pay money for in an actual boxed set. This set does not deserve to take up so much space, honestly these big sets are getting out of hand, I actually am less inclined to buy a bloated box because it takes up too much room for what it is. For what it is ( a re-hash of what is already out there) if this was in a compact clamshell box and for about $35 -$40 then it would be something I would actually consider.

20. David Roest says:

You noticed the term “outtakes” on the sleeve there? Where are they?

21. Paul English says:

Picked up the 5CD set.

Photo book – nice – especially the Dublin shots. Very evocative of the time – I used to get my daily train from close by.
    Booklet – useless – reminds me of the one that came with the original LP

As I said before, I bought the vinyl at the time (Virgin @ Liffey Valley) and nothing else. No singles. No DVDs.
    So CD1 sounds pretty good and it’s nice to hear the bonus track for the first time. CD2 flows well and is a good addendum.
    The live gig is pretty impressive and will be aired again.
    Remixes are a mixture of good and bad. Could have done with a couple of 7″ mixes too.

I enjoyed this a lot more than expected but would have appreciated some sort of essay / insight like previous reissues.

22. Steve says:

I bought the vinyl version, I think you gave it a very fair review Paul. It’s a lovely looking set, but should have collected all the other missing mixes together and had a different gig to the dvd. Those 2 simple things would have ‘elevated’ this set to something a little bit more special.
    Beyond that I would have loved something along the lines of Baby Achtung Baby.
    They should try a little harder next time I think.
    By the way Pop has been re released, a remastered vinyl version came out in 2018 (blue vinyl too. But alas no deluxe.
    If they follow this format for pop it’ll be a hell of a lot of 12” vinyls for all the myriad remixes that album had :D

23. Bernard O’Hara says:

I love this album – but yes this appears pretty underwhelming. Overblown and overpriced imho

24. Richard Dowling says:

Tip for you Paul, blade carefully around the inner circumference of the box opening, taking away that part of the cellophane, leaving the rest and hype stickers intact around the body of the box.

• Steve says:

Ha. I was going to say I slice down the middle and across the top and bottom, then you have 2 cellophane flaps on the left and right that tuck in with the inner box. I do that with most of the sets I have.

25. Marc K. says:

Considering that the five 12 inch records should have been a double album, the contents does not differ much from the Joshua Tree box in contents, that box was great, with outtakes and a great live album and the remixes on one album. I bought that box for only 70 pounds (!) on Amazon UK, just under 3 years ago.
    This new box is way overpriced. Universal has to stop this insanity, this is bad for vinyl lovers!
    Let’s hope the price drops to about 100 pounds, than I would consider buying it.

26. Derek Langsford says:

I’d have to really really like an album to give up that much money and space for a single album. Glad I don’t and have and will not be collecting vinyl. While the CD set is not that much smaller it is thinner and I presume much lighter. But I agree both sets lack the wow factor. Have been pleasantly surprised by the Vienna cassette demos and full St. Albans concert plus 5.1, and love the TFF outtakes and sessions, plus the stunning 5.1.

There’s been no 5.1 for any U2 studio album. Would have thought that was an affordable option for them.

27. CJ says:

Am I the only one who is kind of underwhelmed by Anton Corbjin? I mean, his photos are beautiful, but the aesthetic never seems to change very much. Looking at the photos in this video, I just keep thinking how much he manages to make U2 look like Depeche Mode. In contrast, I think of someone like Herb Ritts, who seemed to be able to have a vision that carried a distinctive style, but also had a great deal of variation in it.

I still can’t decide whether to get this or not. My primary interest is the b-sides/etc. disc. I don’t know if I want to pay over $100 for just that (since the only way to get it is to buy the full set).

Glorious unboxing video, though, Paul. It definitely doesn’t make my decision any easier, as it is a lovely box. I always look forward to your videos (even the ones that are for acts I would never consider buying). Your site is the first thing I read every morning, and I check in several times a day in case there are updates. Keep up the excellent work, and keep being a strong proponent for physical music. We can’t risk the possibility of losing art because we allow it all to go to some random streaking services.

28. Electric Sydney says:

To be honest, this is the type of set that could give the concept of a box set a bad name. I’d imagine they would create too many of them to be highly discounted in future. If this is perceived to be a boondoggle of sorts, record companies could go off of the concept of box sets. I can’t imagine this product could make anyone super happy.

• 2badmofo says:

I agree, it’s a real let down, I have bought nearly every boxset that they released, but this is a no no, I’d probably have a hard time buying it even at half price tbh, also why don’t they ever put the lyrics for b sides with these kind of sets? and another thing they should have put the iTunes only release “Unreleased & Rare” on CD + Vinyl, I’m sure fans would have loved that even more

29. Richard Dowling says:

Is your UK vinyl link showing a used price or did it drop for a millisecond?