U2’s ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’ is reissued for its 20th anniversary

Remastered • Five-CD box • 11LP super deluxe

U2‘s tenth studio album, All That You Can’t Leave Behind, is being reissued next month to celebrate 20 years since the original release.

Released in 2000, the album features the UK number one single ‘Beautiful Day’ and three more top five hits (‘Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of’, ‘Elevation’ and ‘Walk On’).

For the reissue, the two major formats are a large format five-CD box set that features the album, B-sides and demos, two CDs of Elevation: Live in Boston and a disc of remixes. This box includes a book, Walk On: A Travelogue by Anton Corbijn, a large-format booklet and a poster. See image below.

Perhaps surprisingly, there is a vinyl super deluxe edition which contains exactly the same content as the CD set, so that’s 11 vinyl records in total, even if the last five aren’t exactly ‘LPs’ – more on that later.

All That You Can’t Leave Behind on vinyl is now a 2LP set and features ‘The Ground Beneath Her Feet’ for the first time (it was CD only, originally). The second record is the B-sides and demos. Three LPs of Elevation: Live in Boston follow, which take you to six LPs. Then what constitutes one single remixes CD in the CD box becomes FIVE vinyl records in the super deluxe! Although these are 180g vinyl, let’s be honest it’s five 12-inch singles and all but one contain two tracks each. Four of the remixes are new and previously unreleased. Photo of the vinyl super deluxe is below. If features the same book etc and comes with a download code.

A two-CD version doesn’t feature the B-sides and demos as disc two, as you might expect, but is a ‘highlights’ version of Elevation: Live in Boston. 13 tracks instead of the 19 tracks that feature on the two CDs in the box set. There is obviously also a standalone 2LP vinyl edition.

All the audio has been remastered and the All That You Can’t Leave Behind reissue will be released on 30 October 2020.

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 5CD box set

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 11LP vinyl super deluxe

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 2CD edition

U2

All That You Can't Leave Behind - 2LP vinyl

All That You Can’t Leave Behind 5CD box set

CD 1: The Album

1. Beautiful Day (04:07)
  2. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (04:32)
  3. Elevation (03:47)
  4. Walk On (04:56)
  5. Kite (04:26)
  6. In A Little While (03:39)
  7. Wild Honey (03:46)
  8. Peace on Earth (04:48)
  9. When I Look at the World (04:17)
  10. New York (05:30)
  11. Grace (05:31)
  12. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (03:43)

CD 2: B-Sides and Demos:

1. Levitate (05:09)
  2. Summer Rain (04:07)
  3. Stateless (04:07)
  4. Always (03:48)
  5. Love You Like Mad (04:18)
  6. Big Girls Are Best (03:36)
  7. Don’t Take Your Guns to Town (04:13)
  8. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Acoustic) (03:44)
  9. Flower Child (04:55)

CDs 3 and 4: Live from Boston 2001

1. Elevation (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:09)
  2. Beautiful Day (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:43)
  3. Until the End of the World (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:15)
  4. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:40)
  5. Kite (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:25)
  6. Gone (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:55)
  7. New York (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:51)
  8. I Will Follow (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:59)
  9. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (07:23)
  10. In A Little While (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:54)
  11. Desire (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (03:06)
  12. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:50)
  13. Bad (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:22)
  14. Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:31)
  15. Bullet the Blue Sky (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:18)
  16. With or Without You (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:31)
  17. The Fly (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (07:55)
  18. Wake Up Dead Man (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (01:25)
  19. Walk On (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:38)

CD 5: Remixes:

1. Elevation (Paul Van Dyk Remix) (07:56)
  2. Elevation (Influx Remix) (04:03)
  3. New York (Carnegie’s Deli Remix) (07:05)
  4. New York (Superman Kicks Ativan Remix) (07:31)
  5. Beautiful Day (Quincey & Sonance Remix) (07:56)
  6. Beautiful Day (The Perfecto Mix) (07:50)
  7. In A Little While (Nightmares on Wax Remix) (05:15)
  8. Walk On (Wyclef Jean Remix) (04:43)
  9. When I Look at the World (Picante Remix) (05:14)
  10. Elevation (Escalation Mix) (07:05)
  11. Elevation (Quincey & Sonance Remix) (06:55)

All That You Can’t Leave Behind 11-disc vinyl box set

Summer Rain
Stateless
Always
Love You Like Mad
Big Girls are Best
Don’t Take Your Guns to Town
Stuck in a Moment (Acoustic)
Flower Child

I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
In A Little While
Desire
Stay

LP 6 Elevation: Live in Boston

Bad
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bullet the Blue Sky
With or Without You
The Fly
Wake Up Dead Man
Walk On

12-inch #1

Elevation (Paul Van Dyk Remix)
Elevation (Influx Remix)

12-inch #2

New York (Carnegie’s Deli Mix)
New York (Superman Kicks Ativan Mix)

12-inch #3

Beautiful Day (Quincey and Sonance Remix)
Beautiful Day (The Perfecto Mix)

12-inch #4

In A Little While (Nightmares on Wax Remix)
Walk On (Wyclef Jean Remix)
When I Look at the World (Picante Remix)

12-inch #5
Elevation (Escalation Mix)
Elevation (Quincey and Sonance Remix)

CD 1: The Album

1. Beautiful Day (04:07)
  2. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (04:32)
  3. Elevation (03:47)
  4. Walk On (04:56)
  5. Kite (04:26)
  6. In A Little While (03:39)
  7. Wild Honey (03:46)
  8. Peace on Earth (04:48)
  9. When I Look at the World (04:17)
  10. New York (05:30)
  11. Grace (05:31)
  12. The Ground Beneath Her Feet (03:43)

CD 2: Elevation: Live (highlights)

1. Elevation (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:09)
  2. Beautiful Day (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:46)*
  3. Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:47)*
  4. Kite (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:22)*
  5. I Will Follow (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:09)*
  6. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (08:05)*
  7. Desire (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (03:06)
  8. Stay (Faraway, So Close!) (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (04:50)
  9. Bad (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:22)
  10. Where the Streets Have No Name (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:06)*
  11. With or Without You (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (05:28)*
  12. The Fly (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (07:22)*
  13. Walk On (Live from the Fleet Center, Boston, 2001) (06:37)*

165 responses to U2’s ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’ is reissued for its 20th anniversary

1. CJ says:

I saw the CD edition in the record shop yesterday and hefted it a couple times–the damned thing is HEAVY. I’d love to have the b-sides, but this is the point where my interest in U2 started to wan. They just started to seem so self-important at this point. The irony that ruled in the 90s was gone. I wish they had done the 2CD version as just the album and the b-sides. I would have happily bought that. I can’t convince myself to pay over $100 for a huge box that I would have to find room for when most of the material in it I don’t really care about.

I’m sure this is a great item for the U2 die-hards and the fans of this era, but I would have preferred them either doing something with POP or putting together a proper, comprehensive b-sides compilation from across their entire career.

2. SeattleU2Fan says:

I would have liked to see U2’s performance of Beautiful Day and Elevation on the American sketch comedy show, Saturday Night Live (SNL), included here as it’s a great performance (during Elevation, Bono walks out into the crowd and the boys bring the house down) and I used to be able to watch it on YouTube in the early 2000s but now it’s no where to be found. That alone might make it worth the purchase for me.

But yeah, would have liked to see Rattle and Hum in a SDE. That movie was epic when it came out in 1989.

• Mike says:

As a completist I’m torn, but have decided to sit on the fence and wait for a price drop on the big vinyl one.

I know the band have very high standards in terms of what they deem as being suitable for release and they also hold on to song ideas for a while, so its difficult to know what else could have been included in terms of demos & unheard tracks. I still miss the days when a band would release a single with a couple of b-sides of this type.

3. Matt says:

I always thought the chorus was nicked from A-ha’s ‘sun always shines on tv’ :)

4. Hedley says:

Is now the right time to say that “It’s a beautiful day” is a total steal of Mark Oliver Everett’s “Mr E’s Beautiful Blues” from the classic “Daisies of the Galaxy” album ?

Bugged me for ever

5. Adey says:

Even a 3cd set, along the same lines of Bowie’s station to station reissue from a few years back, would be better (and shift more units) than this rubbish.
    Disc 1: original album remastered, Discs 2 & 3: an UNRELEASED soundboard recording from the elevation tour.
    Maybe the same on a vinyl set too, for fans who are that way inclined…

6. Alexandros Alexandropoulos says:

Very disappointing. First of all where’s the “pop” and “Rattle And Hum” special editions? And then, almost everything included here is known to the casual/loyal/whatever fan. No surprises except their greed, grit and no care for all those who follow them since day 1. (And i’m HUGE U2 fan, i even consider their last two albums almost masterpieces). And fianlly, extremely high priced. Shame.

• Bart says:

Yeah where is Pop reissue? It’s the last good album by U2, after this they went completely sell out trying to record copies of Joshua Tree sound like albums but not as good as Joshua. Bono forgot how good Pop is

7. Matt Rauch says:

Have been a big fan for most of 35 years, and my list of grievances could fill a book that just got a new chapter.
    This was a good album, not a great one. I somehow managed to fork over the bucks for the last JT set, and this is twice the price, and loaded with filler. All I really want is the b-sides on vinyl, but it’s not gonna happen.
    Hard to believe the band would give the OK to this, particularly when most everyone is having a hard, pandemic year.
    Sigh…

• Pat says:

Albums get reissued every week.That’s why we visit here…
      This particular one sold 12,000,000 copies.
      You making it sound like it’s an immoral cash grab is a bit daft to be fair.

• Mike says:

I think the band have shown on many, many occasions over the years that they seem to live in an isolated bubble away from the views of their fans. Ironically for a band who were very aware of what the internet would mean for digital media back in the early 90s, they’ve been incredible slow to actually embrace any of the positives of it as a distribution platform. They seem entrenched in their approach to recording & releasing music in a way which really seems alien now.

Given their age, I thought they’d maybe relax and give fans a bit more of a peek behind the curtain so to speak and also be starting to think about their legacy and body of work but I guess not.

Phew, I managed to not use the words “cash” or “grab”.

8. Geoff G says:

Interesting. I guess this will be more difficult as the albums become newer. I already have everything. The Boston DVD concert hasn’t been issued on CD before, but a lot of the songs are already out on singles. Besides owning the DVD I probably have quite a few of the songs already on singles (pulled up two cd’s and I came up with 5 songs). A different show from the tour would have been nice.

I’m in the group who likes Pop more too, but I hate to say I’d probably have most of the Pop stuff too. I bought all the singles and different versions of the singles. Although, I’d love that stuff to get remastered.

Nice set and I agree that it’s needed, but hard but for hardcore fans, there’s nothing new here.

9. Simon says:

The astonishing level of greed that drives any record company to do this crap is off the charts. Any record company releasing such bloated packages like this should be banned from selling recordings.
    But I am sure is no shortage of fools who will purchase this ridiculously bloated package.

10. Todd says:

All That You Can’t Leave Behind is just one of those albums that took on a life of it’s own after it’s release. Hints of “Beautiful Day” were heard as far ahead as the 2000 Olympiad on US TV, then the release (Oct. 30th – 20 years ago to the day)…by the time the ELEVATION TOUR began, the album was two singles in, and the hype was unbelievable. New/Old ideas were back in the forefront (standing room floor on the tour), singles & b-sides (aka bonus tracks) etc. Then 9/11 happened and emotionally the album took on so much more. “Walk On” live from London (during AMERICA: A TRIBUTE TO HEROES) went from one meaning to another – turning into a healing anthem. For sure the emotional attachment to the album was secure.
    Sadly I was at my collecting prime at that time, and no U2 material was going to go by without my hands on it. Therefore this collected 20th anniversary album really only has “new” remixes to me (and for the last 20 years since the album came out, remixes have never really held up so much….). Don’t get me wrong – LIVE FROM BOSTON is a fantastic example of the band firing on all cylinders – and a great cross-section of old/new songs. The bonus tracks are all amazing steps into the writing process as well as just after (“Always” is a embryonic version of “Beautiful Day” etc., and “…..Guns To Town” ((Johnny Cash cover)) and the acoustic “Stuck In A Moment” are prime events after the albums release ) but I wanted to go deeper – the rumored unused vocal by Mick Jagger on “Stuck In A Moment” (later live at the Rock Hall’s 25th Anniversary Concerts)… unreleased demos before the tapes got stolen….. etc etc. Instead the greatest new insight will probably come from Anton Corbjin’s photo book. Maybe this is all that was left behind.

• CJ Feeney says:

This is the best critique so far on this thread.

I wasn’t collecting much music at this point – toddler and baby in the house, lots of expense, lots less time and money for my own leisure pursuits. So I have little of the material here, I had a VHS with highlights of Boston, but didn’t buy any singles. I think I picked up the album in a sale after buying the Best of 1990-2000. It was definitely a step back for the band after the 90’s, but Beautiful Day still sends a tingle down my spine when I hear the intro.

I’d love this without the remix albums/singles, but I doubt anyone would buy them if I put them on ebay.

11. GentleRabbit says:

Just a quick aside to all who own one of the Uber Deluxe Boxes from Achtung Baby’s 20th Anniversary (the big trunk with the magnetic tiles on the cover)… has anyone had any issues with the sliding drawer getting stuck inside the box? For some reason, mine refused to slide out years ago (after being opened only a handful of times) and will not budge, making it impossible to reach the contents contained within. Not quite sure what to do, as I obviously don’t want to damage the big, beautiful thing…

12. Perry Lewis says:

Another dumb movie by U2. Should of taken a different show for the CDs. Then release Boston and the 2CDs as a separate package – finally on Blu-ray.
    We would assume they had demos that they kept in storage, but who knows.
    CD #2 doesn’t even clock in at 38 minutes.
    What’s with the asterisks for the second CD of the 2 CD set?

13. Mark Reed says:

A woefully incomplete, nonsensical track selection, missing many B-sides and rare tracks, such as the re-recorded/remixed mix of “Walk On”, the 2000 Rai Uno Italian radio session, as well as the rare live b-sides from Manray and Farmclub, let alone any alternate mixes, versions, or demos. There’s no alternate mixes, no demos, no unreleased songs, no radio sessions, not even the main ‘hit’ single mixes. More than flawed. It’s lazy.

The live discs are utterly useless, as its just the audio from the Boston DVD on 2CD’s, and missing several songs performed at the actual shows in question. It makes no sense to choose Boston. The show was woefully incomplete when released 19 years ago, and all they have done for this is put the DVD soundtrack onto CD. Lazy, lazy, lazy. Boston is not well regarded. At the time of issue there was a lot of noise that four songs – “Mysterious Ways”, “Pride, “One” and “People Get Ready” – were removed. There are something like 102 live shows from this period they have recordings and video of they have chosen *not* to release, including Irving 2000 which has a unique nontour setlist including rare performances of “I Remember You”, “11 O Clock Tick Tock”, and “Won’t Get Fooled Again”, as well as South Bend from October where they also opened with “Beautiful Day” for the only time on the tour, and features performances of “When Will I See You Again?” and “What’s Going On” and was webcast. There’s worthwhile stuff literally sitting on the shelf that could have made this release more interesting. They could’ve even put the first and last tour shows, both from Miami, with rare live performances of “Please”, “In Gods Country”, “Knocking On Heavens Door”, “Discotheque/Staring At The Sun”, and similar. But no. Lets put out the DVD soundtrack you all bought 19 years ago, suckers.

They could at least put an extra few discs in there – Irving on CD, South Bend on DVD, alongside a DVD full of various TV appearances, videos, and so on, let alone even an upgrade of Slane or Boston on BluRay. What a catastrophically insulting tracklisting.

Someone, somewhere sat down, threw a bunch of random and incoherent rubbish into an expensive and well designed box, the band carelessly signed it off without thinking ; because they have subcontracted important decisions to largely ignorant administrators who have demonstrated no knowledge, care, or artistry in their work because they think the fanbase will buy any old tat they put their logo onto. The band probably spend more time thinking about their very expensive house renovations than they do a £200 box set fluffed up with 5 pointless vinyl 12″ remixes so they can charge more money. If the band had chosen to not put out 5 12″ singles to plump up the box, they could have instead have 5 LP’s. It feels like someone sat down and went “OK, for a £200 vinyl set, we’ll need… (counts on fingers)…. 11 vinyl discs? Lets put the remixes on fake 12″s.”

It’s a demonstrably awful reissue. I expect hefty reductions in January. Its more than flawed, it’s shoddy, and feels like U2 just wrote their name on the exam paper then walked out 15 minutes into their finals.

• Robert says:

Wasn’t the tour opener in Sunrise Florida ? I was at that show and Im pretty sure that was the opening. That was my last time seeing U2, after seeing them 5 or so times in the past.

• Terence Delaney says:

Agreed

• Henrik Kirkegaard says:

Most awful is the robbing of fans again.
      Seem the band dont give anything for their releases or the fand payment
      So sad

• TheRocketBulbous says:

Nobody’s being robbed, mate. Fans can either buy or not, and I’m a fan too. Shortchanged is different from “robbed”.

Stop being so flipping overdramatic, everyone. There’s people out there with actual problems!

• Mike says:

Exactly what you said. Disappointed doesn’t even come close.

• Martin Carritt says:

Beautifully written.
      I posted a response which having reread, I wasn’t happy with. You have nailed it.
      I’d love to copy and paste that into the official fan club forum.
      Well written. I, for one, will not be buying even if significantly reduced, as there’s nothing on there I don’t have.

• Darren Brett says:

Totally agree, still waiting to hear Mick Jagger on Stuck in a Moment, and it would have been nice to have the official versions of the Rai Uno sessions amongst others.

Oh well maybe they’ll see light of day on the 50th anniversary re-remaster, if I’m alive and can afford it. Maybe I’ll just leave this one behind.

14. Paul Berney says:

The price of the 5 CD set in Ireland is listed at €110. Absolute insanity. For 5 CDs of mostly already released music and a book. Ridiculous. The Police Studio Albums CD box set released last year cost €20. And the complete Phil Collins Take A Look At Me Now with his 8 solo albums cost €19. Staggering value. I don’t know who prices these so called deluxe sets, but they oughta be ashamed of themselves robbing fans like that. The 2 CD of this is appealing, but using highlights from the Boston DVD for the live CD and big set is silly, considering the Slane Castle Ireland show from the Elevation tour was a better release with more hits like One, Pride (In The Name Of Love) and New Year’s Day (also had Mysterious Ways as a bonus track). The Boston show had those songs, but the DVD didn’t and no one made an effort to fit them back in for that set. Such an iconic band deserve far better.

15. Adey says:

I would rather see rattle and hum, as a 5 or 6 disc boxset, with complete shows and a disc of outtakes/ b sides/ unreleased tracks…

• Frederick Schweig says:

Yes! I was disappointed that U2 ignored ‘Rattle and Hum’ after they put out the ‘Unforgettable Fire’ and ‘The Joshua Tree’ box sets.
      Speaking of those, I wish they had continued releasing ‘Rattle and Hum’, ‘Achtung Baby’, and other subsequent albums in the same type of box, even as one of a few box set options.

16. Adey says:

I remember watching them on the elevation tour at the manchester arena, when myself and an ex girlfriend left U2 behind, before the end of their set, to get at the front of the queue for the carpark. A lot of other people had the same idea too (this is what happens when a band is past their sell-by date and decide to drop classic encores such as “40” in favour for lame tracks from a lame album)
    Imho atyclb is mainly filler, apart from the first 3 tracks, a bit like those ministry of sound rip off compilations from the 90s

• Paul Redman says:

I was at that show. You probably very likely, therefore, missed Bono balls-up “One” and so they didn’t come back to do “Walk On” either.

17. Adey says:

18. Romchik says:

U2 clearly one of the laziest groups in terms of “deluxe editions”. Their creativity went to end right after the “Melon” and “Propaganda” projects. They could do dozens of great live albums but all they did in this direction was just copies from live DVDs (OK, with great excerptions of U22 and From the Ground Up in 2010s (sic!)).
    90% of announced ATYCLB anniversary material is yesterday news.

19. Ioannis says:

Zooropa+Pop my absulutuly favs . I’m with them since my teen years and the last 2 albums are not THAT bad. But… Atyclb + Atomic bomb are what master Bowie would call “Phil COLLINS albums”. For my personal taste not even that, since that period of David was at least funny, and after that we had Tin machine and then great experimental records. After Pop we have nothing I’m afraid. POP is a record with depth and for me Gone is an ignored gem, also Mofo,Miami, even the b sides like pop music and the rmxes. POP MART was massive. I have read their book and i know their thoughts about that period. And it makes me mad. Do yourself a favor and instead of that pretty nothing box, buy the remastered vinyl editions of Actung /Zooropa/Pop. They will remind you that they were huge before Bono choose the Messiah instead the MacPhisto persona.

• Wayne Olsen says:

I agree with you 100 percent about POP.?a brilliant record followed by fair-to-middling mainstream albums.
      As for this reissue, 5 CDs for $140? Need the money, guys? Not our fault that Spider-Man Turn off the Dark stiffed.

20. Daniel from Adelaide says:

5 CDs for this shit and still nothing for POP? That’s what’s wrong with this band in the shell of a nut.

21. Francois says:

I have the vinyl reissue which came up a year or two ago. I love side A, not a weak song that side in my opinion. But I mostly never play side B.
    That’s the advantage of vinyl, when songs are dispatched like that on a record, you don’t play the weak side, and you get a strong EP.
    I can not really find a good reason to put that much money in either set, with all the good expensive stuff which is coming our way (Prince, Tears For Fears, King Crimson, Tangerine..). However, at 39.99€ or so for the CD set, I would indulge..

• Jarmo Keranen says:

That don’t work for me. There’s always song or two on the b-side you like and you have to turn the record for them!

• Francois says:

It happens indeed. “Meddle” is a good example of an album with a couple of good songs on side A but only one good song on side B…

22. Stevie B says:

All that vinyl! Hope you are using recycled, Bono… Save the Planet and all that… remember? ✌

• GentleRabbit says:

Bono’s activism has actually focused on causes like stopping the spread of AIDS in Africa and debt relief for poorer countries in the ‘third world’, rather than things like ‘recycling’ and general environmentalist causes. Best to do a few seconds worth of research before indulging in the inevitable cynical jibes ;)

23. Andrew S says:

Looks nicely designed in terms of packaging, but the actual content looks phoned in with nothing that we haven’t heard before. Taking audio from a DVD release is par for the course with U2 as they do that with their fan club releases, which they also phone in these days to0 (for example, their last club “gift” was a DVD of a concert filmed in 4K and used 4K content for their massive 4K video screen, of which you could stream the film in HD on their website if you paid $60 to renew your membership).

Just seems like a cash grab to pay their employees as it takes them 4 years to make each album (they have only made albums since this release originally came out) and they can’t tour at the moment.

As a u2 fan this is more of a shrug than a day one purchase, so the completist in me will pick this up when Paul does one of his deal alerts. Their other box sets are still easily available, so no rush.

24. Mike says:

I think the comments about it being predictable & disappointing have covered my reaction.

I think we should also by now have realised that U2 either don’t have anything in their “vaults” or there’s nothing in them that they’re willing to share. That could be because, as we know, they love to hold on to song ideas for future albums, or that there’s nothing which meets their standards for releasing. Its been well publicised for years that they over-analyse and tweak stuff to the nth degree in a quest for perfection, whilst struggling to agree on stuff, so it shouldn’t come as a surprise that their re-releases end up like this.

I really wish they’d relax a bit and not agonise over stuff for years, just cut loose a bit and get more stuff out there. It might not all hit the mark, but what have they honestly got to lose? At their age I thought they’d be wanting to crank out a lot more music, and get away from the traditional album & tour cycle.

25. Steve says:

They could easily have asked the u2.com subscribers for feedback before pressing go on this. A bit of quick research would have told them their fans want all the remixes, and alt versions of songs (there’s room on the vinyl and CDs) and a different live show to the one on dvd already. I really don’t know why they don’t know this already, but it would have stopped all the negative comments here and on various U2 boards.

I was disappointed with the Achtung box because they just stuck Live in Sydney in there when they could have used something from the first leg of the ZOOTV tour. Sweden and Washington were filmed and broadcast. It was just laziness in my opinion. Same here.
    But at least we did get a lot more unreleased stuff including the baby aching baby disc which I love.

• Burt says:

I agree Steve.

Would’ve been much better. They record practically everything so there is a huge amount of visual content they could’ve used.

I’ll probably buy the 2 CD version. I’m not going to buy the box, for the content, it’s not worth it. Those Concerts are on you tube but the quality is not there. Thats why it’s important they tart them up & put them in these SDE’s!!

26. Paul Wren says:

That demo version of “Stuck In A………………..” is absolutely wonderful, light years ahead of the “real” thing.

27. Paul Redman says:

I am also disappointed that the live CDs appear to be just a straight rip of the audio of the DVD. I guess this may be because of Bono often adding in snippets of songs from other artists into his vocal and if they don’t want to stump up the cash to pay for using said “snippet”, they certainly don’t want another ‘Under A Blood Red Sky’ scenario.

28. I’ve been listening to the excellent U Talking U2 2 Me podcast the last few weeks and have worked through U2’s catalog again for the first time in years. I recently read that this set was likely coming out in the fall was really looking forward to it. What a disappointment!

What has made the better box sets so appealing (see Prince, Bowie, McCartney) is that they’ve brought together all of an album’s or era’s respective b-sides, edits, extended mixes, etc. for completeists and have also offered previously unavailable material providing better insight into an album’s evolution. Across 5 CDs, this set does neither. Several single mixes are missing (seriously, no Walk On-Video Version or Elevation-Tomb Raider Mix!?) and only four tracks are previously unreleased. After picking up previous super deluxe editions from the lads this one will unfortunately be a hard pass.

29. Ryk says:

Crazy prices (what is going on with the huge leaps in prices for SDEs lately?). I picked up the Joshua Tree vinyl box set for slightly over 50 quid 2 years ago – that’s less than a third of the cost of this release. I’m only a fan of U2’s earlier stuff, so this wouldn’t tempt me even if it was appropriately priced.

30. GentleRabbit says:

Zooropa, Pop and Passengers are (along with Achtung, of course) are deeply meaningful records to me personally, as they seem to be with many other on here.

Completely agree with the sentiment expressed by some here that U2 were always at their very best when they were pushing themselves. It hurts as a fan to see them repeatedly ignored in favour of their bigger-selling, more chart-friendly siblings.

I certainly fell in love with (most of) this at the time (as I tend to with all new U2 albums in some way), but honestly felt that it of a temporary doff-of-the-hat to their more mainstream, anthemic sound of earlier albums rather than the beginning of an almost permanent return to that sound and approach – leaving the glorious, technicolor 90’s work as more of a career blip/outlier than continue in down that path.

They’ve seemed, more recently, to equate sales/popularity with true success and artistic satisfaction than with breaking new ground and creating exciting new sounds. And that’s ok, it just makes me a bit sad knowing what they are capable of when they’re truly taking risks.

I’ll definitely keep an eye out for this down the track once it hopefully drops in price, but I too definitely think that SDEs of Pop, Passengers and the almighty Zooropa are their albums most deserving/in desperate need of the deluxe treatment. That news would really blow my mind and be a beautiful surprise. Still, the more U2, the better :)

• GentleRabbit says:

PS apologies for the rather haphazard grammar/syntax etc of the previous post, was rushing it out on a tiny phone before heading off to work *slaps own forehead*

31. Ron Martin says:

Well, once again, I just want the music, and they are trying to sell me printed material I don’t want to pay for. So, I’m not paying over $100.00 for 5 discs. Maybe one day they will issue the live 2-CD set separately.

32. Albert says:

And still there is no Rattle and Hum. Absolutely scandalous.

Original album remastered. B-Sides, movie DVD and Bluray, outtakes (film and album), the 88/89 four 12′ singles, Lovetown film and audio, promo videos, movie poster, the original 1988 book, the Desire and God Part II remixes, Smile Jamaica with Keef, a full Sun Devil Stadium or McNicols Arena gig, the Sun Studio sessions, Save The Yuppies gig. The wealth of quality material is vast. And even without the movie it could be done and done well.

What a set a deluxe R&H could be. But instead we get this load of knackers. ‘A mole, digging in a hole?’ Bloody Nora…

33. Michael in Sydney says:

I could not agree more with most of the comments here about the included content, the lack of love for ‘Pop’, the turning point in creative output etc. I’ll add just two thoughts:

– I reckon they’re getting in early before the campaign for ‘U2 Best of 2000-2010 (Plus 8 Other Songs)’

– I’ve never been able to look at this album the same way – the title, the cover photograph, the suitcase logo – since that time Bono lost his luggage from a plane over Germany!

• Andy says:

Not sure if they are doing a 2000-2010 set. They were contracted to release 3 greatest hits packages with their label and they settled that deal with U218.

34. Jeff brace says:

Remember, all of those missing tracks, another version of the live disc, remixes, and unreleased material is fodder for the 25th, 30th, 35th, and 40th anniversary box sets….

As for Rattle, the project was seriously planned by the press as being completely egotistical and self promoting. Not the best time for the band-they may be avoiding it on purpose.

35. Marcus says:

It’s funny. The consensus seems to be that this was a return to form? Decent enough album of course and still holds up alright, but a return to form? Yeah, for everyone who doesn’t ever want U2 to even remotely experiment. Pop is for me by far their most interesting release and their best by a mile. That and Zooropa before it. Achtung Baby is ace of course, but everyone thinks that. No, the real gems of U2’s catalogue are the more experimental ones (as much as one can call anything they’ve done as experimental): most of Pop and Zooropa. And even when they did quite straight up rock numbers on these albums they produced gold: I still think ‘Please’ is the best thing they’ve ever done – a true masterpiece. So if they’d done a deluxe box of Pop I’d be on it in a heartbeat! This I think I’ll skip.

• Tomek says:

I strongly agree with your opinion on POP!!

• Rog says:

Me too! Pop is also my favourite U2 album, and Please my favourite U2 song. Lots of other great stuff on there and some good b-sides and remixes ended up on the singles. I’d take a special edition please! U2 in the 90s is their best period.

I feel like the dismissal Pop started getting years later is rather revisionist. I remember it being popular at the time, the singles were all quite successful in the UK, Discotheque a no.1. Huge tour. A grand madness!

ALYCLB is decent but, as others have reflected, it’s a shame that it’s success meant they then spent the bulk of the second half of their career overworking less interesting material in the studio, for glossy albums with little depth. This set is vaguely interesting but could have been so much more. I do love The Ground Beneath Her Feet though.

36. Tony says:

I remember a lad at work years ago worked out how to transfer audio from a DVD & burn it onto a cd, we spent ages making our own live albums from our DVDs, I still have my Boston boot, I saw this tour in Vienna, they were magnificent, I think it’ll be a long time before there’s a big opening up of the U2 vault, no TFF type boxes from U2 that’s for sure, their box sets always come down so I’ll keep my eye out here. Ealing Oxfam always have a ridiculously large amount of U2 CDs, apparently the staff call the guy who donates them Mr FU2, I work on the big site opposite & they are allowed to use our bin for recycling, they always used to bring loads of this album in along with Pop.

37. Enn Morales says:

Just got the box set preordered at $185 USD from Amazon UK. It’s a good album, I only buy the vinyls, so it’s all good. Wait until next year when they release the 30th anniversary of Achtung Baby. You know it’s coming with the same format they released Joshua Tree and now this with the live show, remixes, etc.

38. Paul Redman says:

I loved ATYCLB when it was released. I even went as far as copying the CD onto a TDK-60 so I could listen to it in the car (which I did almost continuously). On reflection, I don’t think it’s an album that has stood the test of time so well in my opinion. Only the singles that were released plus “New York” do it for me now. Given the price, I think I will wait for a future bargain …. that’s if I decide to get it at all. Pity the “Remix CD” misses off David Holmes’s remix of “Beautiful Day”, because that is a corker. The B-Sides didn’t make an impression on me back then; suffice to say, I can barely remember how any of them sound. Like others have said, I really would like a “POP” SDE release. Belting album!

39. Dave Brealey says:

They should have retired years ago . This will be in the bargain bins within 6 months imo. Not done a good lp for decades. Use to think they were excellent and they are still worth watching live .

40. Ben Williams says:

As much as I adore U2, there isn’t really anything to get too excited about with this release sadly – the Boston concert has been out on DVD for years, as have the B-sides (the demo tracks also have been previously released and most die-hards have them already) and a few new remixes aren’t enough to get me to buy an £85 CD box set.

But it is a very nicely designed box, I’ll give them that.

41. Sheldon Cole says:

Not having the B sides on the 2CD is a cynical move to encourage people to buy the 5CD.

• Joe Donato says:

I agree and am disappointed in this release. This is a no sale for me. Back in 2001 I picked up a Target exclusive named ‘7’ that had a few of those b-sides. Essentially, I am missing five songs that are on the 5CD (not including the live and remix tracks).

42. Jimmy Ringland says:

Would have rather they did “Rattle & Hum”. I’d get the two disc version if it had the b-sides and not the live tracks.

43. art says:

the title saids it all,,,all you can leave behind.

44. Alm says:

Why no Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)??? I can’t recall every hearing the album version on the radio etc only the mix

45. What? Bumo? Worry? says:

U2 for me stopped at Unforgettable Fire, after that it was too Americanized and big stadium rock, very much how Simple Minds ended up like. And Bumo turned into a bit of a got as well.

• Aamir says:

Totally agree. After that, they came U2SA

• Blakey says:

I would rather have an expanded ‘Wide Awake In America’ set than ‘All That You Can’t Leave Behind’. If various live tracks were recorded from the ‘Unforgettable Fire’ tour like ‘Bad’ and ‘Homecoming’ were on that EP, U2 would have an album that would top even ‘Under a A Blood Red Sky’.

46. Wayne says:

The last album I purchased by the band. It’s an ok album.

47. Daniel says:

Sorry U2, this set is not worth the money…by a long way, still never mind,I can save the cash, wait & dream for The Stranglers to release the full “Dead On Arrival” live album which was the proposed first LP back in 1977 , that along with a totally remastered Rattus Norvegicus + single B-Sides and the freebie Choosey Susie would probably give me a heart attack, been waiting for years.

48. Burt says:

The album that U2 ditched the ground breaking stuff & returned to being oh so earnest!!!

To be fair, it’s a very good album, apart from the dull “Stuck in a moment” dross BUT I’m very disappointed we have not yet had a “Pop” SDE. Years overdue but we had to have the “Joshua Tree” redone twice!!! Come on!! “Pop” is where it’s at, before they returned to playing it safe. There’s masses ofd potential stuff audio & visual for “Pop” so come on U2,pull your fingers out!!

I saw this tour & it was excellent to see them so close in an Arena.

49. Jeff says:

Long time U2 fan and have I have 8 discs full of non-lp tracks I’ve compiled. One thing I have never understood about many bands and U2 more specifically is the lack of interest releasing songs we have never heard. This band is legendary for talking about dozens to hundreds of songs being recorded during album sessions and when they do a reissue, virtually no truly unreleased demos on any package. A few exceptions but outside of AB, almost 0. Why is that. If you really want to move expensive units, seems like that would draw a lot of interest. Personally, I could care less about live discs and remixes. I don’t think I’m alone in that. Especially with the rumored treasure trove of unreleased songs out there. Cmon guys, I would pay $200 for 11lp’s of unreleased songs but not $200 for everything I already have.

• Ragman says:

I’m willing to wager that out of “hundreds” (or even dozens) of unreleased U2 songs very few will be worth forking out for, and I speak as someone who stuck with them up until the No Line On The Horizon album. Over the years I’ve bought a few singles from most of the albums and from each album session there are maybe 1 or 2 songs which were B-sides which could maybe have been included on the album but most of the B-sides are pretty weak and there are tonnes of remixes or live recordings filling up B-side slots.

U2 have released 6 new studio albums in the past 23 years – Pop was released late and the band admitted it was never preoperly finished and they have re-recorded and remixed hlaf of the album since. They’ve released just over 70 album tracks in 23 years (averaging 3 released songs a year) and most U2 albums these days seem to need 4 or 5 producers and mixers and remixers.

Oh and the creativity issue seems to have got even worse since No Line On The Horizon – a grand total of 2 albums released in 11 years. As a point of comparison, Deacon Blue have released 60 new songs (unique – not including remixes, demo versions or alternate mixes) since 2012 when they released “The Hipsters” and 3 other studio albums, 2 EPs, a live album and main songwriter Ricky Ross has also released 2 solo albums outwith the band in this time frame as well.

• Steven_Wilsons_Prog_Cat says:

But Comparing U2 to Deacon Blue is a bit like comparing diamonds to frosted glass. The thing about U2 is they will hold onto every demo and outtake until they decide to revisit it or use part of it in a new song, once that route has been exhausted they will then consider releasing it or it goes right into the edges archive. I’m still amazed they have never released ‘wild Irish rose’ or ‘North Star’ or even the original version of ‘Mercy’ all of which are very strong songs.

50. Otto says:

I think it’s a nice set. but the vinyl version is very bloated with the 12″ that only have 1 song on each side. It makes it unnecessarily expensive.

51. Kauwgompie says:

Disappointing they skipped Rattle & Hum and Pop. I always thought that “All That You Can’t Leave Behind” was the beginning of the demise of U2. It’s a mediocre album in my view and it only got worse from there. Not that U2 became bad but the brilliance was/is gone.

L85 or $110 is steep for sure but it’s just a beginning price point. Market sellers on Amazon will sell it for less and the U2 boxes are around forever so sooner or later there will be a deal alert. Don’t worry, there will be opportunities.

Too bad there is no 5.1 mix but that is no surprise, no U2 box has ever included a 5.1 mix. In fact I don’t think there is a single U2 album that was ever released in 5.1. BUT, this would have been a good time to break with that. The Rolling Stones did the same. I don’t believe there are any Stones albums in 5.1 but the Goat’s Head Soup box does include a 5.1 mix so great. A missed opportunity.

Lastly, I would have preferred anything else over more U2 live stuff. Why not more remixes and demo’s? You can get U2 live stuff at every street corner so to speak. The last thing we need is another 2 discs of live material.

• Mark says:

Some groups just lose their momentum, and even though the muse occasionally revisits them (the magnificent “Moment of Surrender” in U2’s case) their output becomes perfunctory or forced and they’re never quite the same again. U2 were always chasing the bus after “Pop”. It wasn’t a great album, but they still had something left in the tank and they still had something to say that they’d not touched on before – everything that came after was just product that’d had too many hands on it.

52. Kevin says:

Wow. Amazon US currently has the 5-disc at $140!!! Never thought I’d see an Amazon price higher than the artist’s store.

This is a big nope for me, given the content. I’ll wait to see what this looks like on HD Tracks.

53. patjoller says:

So if you’re a fan and you got the boston dvd, the complete U2, medium rare and remastered et already bought the vinyl reissue what’s good for you in this box and at this price (yeah, yeah yeah, 4 new remixes and a photo book…)?
    Such a missed opportunity to release something else than what’s already widely available.

54. RJS says:

Why all the complaints about the live content being the same as previous DVD release? Apart from the opening “Hello” followed by the city name, wouldn’t most shows on the tour be near enough identical?

• Zbych says:

RJS… are you serious?! Of all “recent” U2 tours Elevation brought the most changes… I saw them 4x two Cologne and two Vienna shows and from night 1 to night to there were 6-8 different songs for U2 standards this was the most PearlJamish as they ever got… Leg3 had different vibe post 9/11 and they could have gone for some MSG shows they were epic! … box is just wasted opportunity… 4remixes its all NEW we got here it’s like showing middle finger to your most loyal fans who shall be considered a main target for this SAD

55. Edward Fitzgerald says:

Wasn’t a Work In Progress version of the CD lost at the airport photo shoot. That might be more interesting than the Boston show (already available on DVD) or remixes. Was at the Boston concert and the night before. Neither were their best. They were focused on timing the show for the right songs to be broadcast during a basketball TV half time).

Remember reading U2 were going to rush release if the lost CD reached the internet. I guess it will be included in a subsequent ATYC box set.

56. Steen says:

Hi Paul, your comment about the remix ‘singles’ made me think:
    “Although these are 180g vinyl, let’s be honest it’s five 12-inch singles and all but one contain two tracks each. ”
    They are probably, and while not a great fan of ‘late U2’ nor 12″ remixes, there are exceptions. Only a few weeks ago another New Order super deluxe was announced, and they did not include the 12″ – which for me was completely baffling, given that Blue Monday is such an iconic 12″.
    There I would have expected a ‘box’ of album (remastered) + all singles (and not all known remixes) including non-album singles; same with Joy Division’s summer release of anniversary edition as a ‘bundle’ rather than a box.
    So, for some 80’s bands in particular I would say it makes sense to do a box of vinyls including 12″ (after all, if they were great, like Blue Monday, some of us would complain about them being squeezed together on a single LP/double, missing the extra depth the wide grooves give).
    But to be fair, a lot of dross too – a vinyl box of Sigue Sigue Sputning including all know remixes of Love Missile…. not really.
    And thank you Paul for a great blog!

• Dr Volume says:

The New Order singles were standalone releases and indeed Confusion, Murder and Thieves Like Us are from different sessions and have quite a different vibe so it makes sense to keep them separate from PCL. You can of course buy them as a bundle, but it’s nice to have the option to just get the album box set esp if you own the 12”s already.
      When New Order get to later album SDEs it’ll be interesting to see what they do when the singles become less iconic and just a bargain binful of multi format CD Single remixes and edits – it would be hard to justify the carbon footprint reprinting them all on separate 12” discs, like these U2 things.

57. Isaías says:

I’m really really really desappointed !!!
    I’ve been waiting for Rattle and Hum and POP to be reissue as deluxe edition too many years and U2 release this album as such. It’s something “That I Really Can Leave Behind” It’s such such such a shame on you U2 !!!! What a mess !!!!

58. Elizabeth HIrst says:

It is certainly an interesting choice to do a massive box set for this album. I am one of those who went in on the Uber Deluxe Achtung Baby, and bought the Joshua Tree Vinyl box, but U2 were on their slow decline by this album, and although it is not without merit, I doubt the wide appeal of this.

59. Paul E. says:

In just visiting my personal physical library from all of the period CD singles, soundtrack appearances, guest features, compilations, etc., the below are missing:

Electrical Storm (A-Side Single)
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Bono Solo) [from Jools Holland & His Rhythm & Blues Orchestra “More Friends”]
    Falling At Your Feet (Bono & Daniel Lanois) [(from “The Million Dollar Hotel” Soundtrack]
    Never Let Me Go (Bono & The MDH Band) [from “The Million Dollar Hotel” Soundtrack]
    Dancin’ Shoes (Bono & The MDH Band) [from “The Million Dollar Hotel” Soundtrack
    The Hands That Built America (Theme from “Gangs of New York”)
    Children of the Revolution (Bono with Gavin Friday & Maurice Seezer) [from “Moulin Rouge” Soundtrack]
    Joy (Mick Jagger feat. Bono) [from “Goddess In the Doorway”]
    When the Stars Go Blue (The Corrs feat. Bono) [Live On VH1]
    Summer Wine (The Corrs feat. Bono) [Live On VH1]
    I Remember You (Live from Irving Plaza, NY, 12/5/2000)
    New York (Live from Irving Plaza, NY, 12/5/2000)
    I Will Follow (Live from Irving Plaza, NY, 12/5/2000)
    All I Want Is You (Live In Paris, Manray 10/19/2000)
    Even Better Than The Real Thing (Live In Paris, Manray 10/19/2000)
    Stay (Faraway, So Close!) [Live from Toronto 5/25/2001
    Discothèque (Live at Foro Sol Autodromo, Mexico City, 12/3/1997)
    If You Wear That Velvet Dress (Live at Foro Sol Autodromo, Mexico City 12/3/1997
    Last Night On Earth (Live at Foro Sol Autodromo, Mexico City 12/3/1997)
    Stuck In a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Acoustic)
    Walk On (UK Single Version)
    New York (Nasty Mix)
    Electrical Storm (William Orbit Mix) [from “The Best of 1990-2000”]
    Walk On (Live In London 9/212001) [from “America: A Tribute to Heroes”]
    New York (Live from Farmclub.com 10/27/2000)
    Beautiful Day (Live from Farmclub.com 10/27/2000)
    Walk On (Video Version)
    New York (Nice Mix)
    Beautiful Day (David Holmes Remix)
    Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)
    Elevation (The Vandit Club Mix)
    Elevation (The Biffco Mix)
    Stuck In a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of (Radio Edit)

• CJ Feeney says:

“X featuring Bono” has no place on a U2 album, even if it’s a U2 song.
      Some of the songs are other artists work eg Falling at Your Feet is from a Daniel Lanois project

However arrogant or egotistic people think Bono is, he’s never tried to pass himself off as the band, or even release a solo album.

• Paul E. says:

@ CJ – “Falling At Your Feet” alongside 14 other guest related or features was already included on U2 “Duals” back in 2011 – fan club CD or otherwise, it’s still an official Island/Universal release under the band’s name. Appears it has a place…already.

60. MattR says:

Grace
    It’s the name for a girl
    It’s also a thought that
    Changed the world

Still remains a lyric Alanis Morisette would reject as clumsy.

I’ll buy the cd set. If the 11 LP version ever drops to below £100 I’ll consider it. At £160+ it is just too expensive

61. John Barleycorn says:

Love the album. Don’t think much of the content.
    It’s a streaming option for me and save my ££s. Maybe a goer at half the price for the CD SDE.

62. Karen says:

Don’t moan about he price from Amazon. On the U2 official site CD set is £89.99 plus postage. The LP set £199.99 plus postage.

If memory is right (not always), the Unforgetable Fire Super Deluxe reissued in 2017 (4cds) price was £108 in UK with Amazon, with everybody waiting for a price reduction and £115 for vinyl. I picked it up for about £70 from HMV

• Milosz says:

The Unforgettable Fire Super Deluxe was never 4 CDs, it was just 2 CDs and a DVD and I only paid $54.99 for it on US Amazon back in 2009. List price was $69.98.

63. Don says:

The price for the 5CD set is astonishingly misguided. Amazon US is currently selling the 4CD+Blu Ray Tears for Fears box for 79.99, which seems high.

BUT they’re selling the 5CD U2 box for 139.99, which is downright ugly. Is that Anton Corbijn photo book really worth an extra $60?

Plus with the TFF set you get 2 full discs of unreleased material, while U2 gives you a scant 4 unreleased tracks. Bad form.

64. Richard S says:

CD box YAY! £85 Booooo!

65. smorrissey says:

Well let’s see:

1) I bought the original UK slipcase CD when it was released (bonus track included)
    2) I have the double digipack elevation live from Boston.
    3) I have all the official CD singles from this album.
    4) I have the fanclub double CD U2 Medium, Rare & Remastered.
    5) I have the Artificial Horizon CD.
    5) I don’t care about “picantes” remixes or a photobook.

So….I’m saving money which is good, too many releases ahead.

66. DogFacedBoy says:

The Boston set seems to be the laziest option to just use the audio from the DVD. As mentioned already the Irving Plaza show and others launching the album are far more interesting.

I dont really feel any of the U2 SDEs have really done any justice to the albums. Considering the wealth of video and audio material surrounding ZooTV the Achtung set was poor and Zooropa thrown in as an extra almost an afterthought

• Jeff says:

Exactly. Releasing Boston is lazy. A lack of imagination here.

They record all shows. Why not a different show or composite of best takes throughout the tour?

• Geoff with a G says:

I’d largely agree but the six CDs plus four DVDs that made the AB set were so much better than what we are getting here. And I paid less!

67. Olov says:

The first of the two Slane concerts (not the dvd) would have been ideal to release with this, I think. It was recorded and must be of high quality, with some great versions of especially Kite and some rarities, like A sort of homecoming and Dancing in the moonlight (Thin Lizzy). And a blistering Bad, of course. Kind of a missed opportunity, I think.

68. Steven_Wilsons_Prog_Cat says:

Very disappointed with the content, its a good album but after the first side it really dies on its arse, there’s not much new here, a few remixes, I seriously thought there would be more to it and not just what was previously available, but I’m a lover of the band so I’ll start saving now, October is one hell of a month for deluxe editions.

69. Martin Carritt says:

Love U2, a fan for pushing 40 years but the key phrases here are ‘missed opportunity’ and ‘rip off’
    There’s nothing here that’S new.
    The lack of demos and alternate versions is baffling considering the wealth of available material.
    Then again, what was it Paul McGuinness said about the Achtung Baby reissue in 2011
    ‘ If you pile a lot of extra material and packaging and design work into a super-duper box set, there are people who will pay quite a lot for it, so you can budget it at a very high level and pump up the value,”
    That tell you all you needs to know.
    So disappointed, so underwhelmed.

• Henrik kirkegaard says:

You so Right.
      Really looked forward to U2 starting their reissue series again.
      This i so lazy done and rip OFF payment.
      Dissapointing.

70. Nigel says:

‘Ow much?

71. Chris Aud says:

So it seems that missing from this set is Elevation (Tomb Raider Mix)? If so that is a shame because that’s the version that propelled them to Vertigo a couple of years later. A very important piece of the commercial U2 puzzle.

72. Rashers says:

Meh – the live component is worthwhile – I am strangely ambivalent about this reissue – although I enjoyed the album at the time. But what about POP – U2 has loads of downtime during the pandemic to go about remixing and repairing that disaster – there was a great album underneath all of that disco crap and slick production. They have been saying for years that the final version was rushed (hence the reissue of a better version of “Staring at the Sun”) a few years later. C’mon guys – do to POP what MacCartney did to “Let it Be (naked)”.
    By the by – whatever happened to the Superdeluxe boxes that had the original album alongside the CDs and a DVD or (better) Blu-Ray. Anyone who buys the 11 LP set will listen to it – at most – once.

73. Erik says:

Poor content for a reissue set, overpriced and more or less nothing we already own (albeit on cd/dvd single etc., remember those?). They only re-issued the vinyl record in 2017, but beggars belief, we would like Pop and Rattle & Hum super box sets, however I doubt the former will ever materialise as the band just didn’t like the record. I’ll just keep staring at my inflatable Popmart lemon… Cue the inevitable HTDAAB ‘deluxe’ set in 5 years

74. CJ Feeney says:

I really like this album and the Boston DVD, but it’s a bit of a high price. A blu ray would have been welcome. The book in the photo doesn’t look that impressive.

As for Pop, I know the band considered it unfinished and they remixed a few tracks for The Best of 91-01 rather than include the actual L.P. tracks. Maybe they could do a Pop redux of some kind for the whole album.

75. Brian says:

I get the idea that the extra content (regardless of it (more or less) being available elsewhere) is the hook to get folks who already have the album to purchase the box, but there would be a huge market for the live album itself, especially for those of us who already have the album proper.

Oh well, what can you do, other than buy the whole darn thing if you really want it. But between this and the live albums exclusive to the last Bowie box (which I was lucky enough to get from sellers who broke up a box), there’s a big missed opportunity for sales.

76. Stephen Towler says:

Thanks but with the lack of much new material I’ll be waiting for the price to drop.

77. Jan says:

Nice box, but it would have been better if they would have added a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix

78. Beechlander says:

Too pricey for what you get and for me not my favourite U2 period..not worthy of a 20th anniversary IMO. The vinyl box set is mammoth with a suitably mammoth price although Sound of Vinyl are selling it for even more at £199. The 12″s look like they are there to bulk it up. A bit unneccessary. The start of their decline into safe Coldplay-esque mainstream anthems. They were much more interesting in the 90s.

• jason says:

Perhaps not their best work but even if the content of their 90’s output was more interesting, it certainly didn’t sell as well as this. Zooropa and Pop were examples of declining sales and this put U2 back on the map as massive unit-shifters again. Can’t believe it’s been nearly 20 years…

79. Slo Bass says:

Of all the promotional live appearances during this cycle that could have been archived, they chose to include an audio rip of the existing live DVD. That sort of thing should have been used as a fan club release.

I have mediocre quality recordings of their Irving Plaza live set, the performance for Farmclub.com, the songs exclusive to RAI due, and the songs from the ManRay club in France. Why these weren’t included is a mystery. An even bigger mystery is absence of existing promo only versions (some only available on CD-R).

For an anniversary reissue, it feels like someone forgot & ran into the corner store after work to buy flowers.

80. Dennis Yardley says:

Why…….once upon a long ago I might have been interested – not now

81. Chris Lancaster says:

£85 for five CDs? Crikey! I don’t think I’m enough of a fan of this album to pay that.

82. Christoph Brunner Caffi says:

As a big U2 fan I’m disappointed. Almost everything on the super deluxe edition has been available for almost 20 years. Only four remixes are previously unreleased. The bonus tracks were released on various singles and compilations, and the live concert appears to be the audio version of the live DVD they released in 2001 (even the same two songs are missing from the setlist).

83. Deano says:

Disappointing and lazy not to include a different live show than has already officially released.

• Robert says:

The DVD was edited from 3 shows at the Fleet Center, so I’m presuming this is just the audio from the DVD rather than a complete Elevation show.

84. Ian says:

I can’t understand leaving off tracks like Walk On (Hallelujah Mix), which features unique vocals. And what a bare-bones b-sides and demos disc. But then, as a Prince fan, I’m spoiled by the upcoming Sign O’ The Times set…

• CJ says:

Prince has, indeed, set the bar pretty high in terms of giving his fans the real deal when it comes to rarities and unreleased tracks. I feel like I’m rather spoiled by him now, to the point that it takes quite a bit to impress me in other super deluxe editions when they start talking about bonus content. More labels and artists should be looking to the Prince Estate’s reissue campaign as the gold standard when they are assembling their own projects.

• RJS says:

Other acts don’t have a vault the size of Prince’s legendary Vault when it comes to “bonus content”!

• CJ Feeney says:

That’s down to Princes insane creativity and work rate. There’s a lot of good stuff that didn’t get released.

Same for Jethro Tull, on a smaller scale, they always find a decent amount of singles, b sides, EPs, abandoned albums (or ballets) to pad out a decent deluxe set.

Dylan has a similar archive, but his Bootleg Series means we don’t have to keep buying the classic albums over and over again, and even the basic edition of each release is packed with previously unreleased content.

U2 have the b-sides and live archive but not much else. (Remixes don’t appeal to me.) Demos could be interesting.

The comparison to Seeds of Love is probably the best one made here so far.

• Jason M says:

Prince’s estate setting the bar high? If you only knew how many quality songs recorded during the Sign “O” The Times period they left out, or the alternate versions that were available that Michael Howe deemed “nearly identical,” when they were vastly different versions. Now King Crimson has a 20 cd 4 Blu Ray 2 dvd set that is along with Bob Dylan, the Gold Standard of how to make a box set.
        Prince’s estate and Michael Howe have never heard of Blu Ray, it’s like some sort of unknown concept. U2 thinks they stopped making them, and U2 has gone the Peter Gabriel, and Sting route of how to make an awful Box Set that is pretty much a middle finger to the fans. So just because Prince’s estate is releasing awesome products compared to this U2 Failure, you have to research just how much they left off. “Data Bank” is perhaps the funkiest song he ever recorded, which is amazing when you hear the poorly remade version recorded by The Time. The unreleased version of “Joy In Repetition” was also recorded in these sessions, as well as the 3 song suite of “Girl O My Dreams,” “Can’t Stop This Feeling I Got,” and the funkiest version of “We Can Funk.” an unbelievable shame.
        U2 have really disappointed me. As others point out, the Irving Plaza show would
        have been good, but due to all the cover songs, they NEVER would have paid up
        for those. I too, was at the Sunrise show in 2001, which would have been a great
        release. I will always love U2, but their treatment of fans is not quite what you would
        expect from their reputation. Sure, a lot of it is ignorance, and they do more for
        awareness on multiple social issues than most of us could imagine, but could they
        even think of consulting a real fan for something like this? I’d love the job, but
        I’m too busy hoping someone from the Prince camp contacts me lol.

85. Bob McCartney says:

Batting 1000 today! Not sure if it was the 9/11 time period but this album carried a ton of emotional resonance for me. I hold it up there with their best work. Now if they could roll out a new record and tour, that would be icing on the cake.

86. Mark Levy says:

I’m definitely getting the 2-cd version. I never got the Elevation DVD. It was a bit OTT, could have done with just the concert, so this will fill a gap in my collection for time being.

87. Eric BONNIN says:

Been a while since the band became a cash reissue machine… Was thinking that for cash machines reissues we should rate the price we’re willing to pay, because , obviously what’s inside is always a debate with what’s missing or not!

88. Andy says:

I wonder how many of those deluxe 11 lp sets they’ll produce – and sell?! I think I’ll wait for the pallet loads to appear at my local car boot sale some time in the next few years!

89. Glenn says:

What happened to Pop?… Rattle and Hum and Zooropa also missed opportunities in terms of non-album tracks but you would expect Pop to get an expanded release before this one… Sad.

• Vincent says:

Zooropa was part of the Achtung Baby superdeluxe set, so I guess it will not get any proper deluxe release.
      I’m waiting for a deluxe version of Rattle and Hum for years, but it seems this album is not part of the list. It’s a shame, it was a creative era with great B-sides.

• Paul Edwards says:

Rattle And Hum could be a problem as it’s linked to the movie. The film company may well hold a lot of the rights or sufficient to limit financial interest in the project

• CJ says:

I think Zooropa is kind of looked at as an extension of the Achtung Baby era as far as the band is concerned, though I think that sells the actual album short. I am, though, very surprised that Pop didn’t get any SDE treatment, considering the campaign that surrounded it when it came out. I think the response to it may have been something of a disappointment as far as Bono and crew are concerned, though, so maybe they decided t gloss over it. Sad, in my opinion, as I think it was a much more interesting album then All That You Can’t Leave Behind was, which felt like much more of a retreat to “safe” territory after a decade of experimentalism.

• MattR says:

I understood folding in Zooropa with Achtung Baby.
      Apparently Rattle And Hum is difficult as different people hold some of the rights.
      But Pop was the last U2 album I thought was ok. It had a lot of b sides and mixes as well. Plenty for a box.
      It is disappointing they won’t reissue it properly.

90. CJ says:

I’m definitely interested in the b-sides, but I don’t care that much about the live discs, and I thought the remixes were pretty crap at this point, so I’m having trouble convincing myself that I want the full set at that price for nine songs. My love affair with U2 was growing strained by this point.

• Brian says:

CJ, your sentiments are mine exactly. They should have put the b-sides on the 2CD instead of the live stuff. I would have gone for that.

91. Greg says:

Does anyone know if the download code is HD or mp3 and if it also comes with the 5 CD set?

92. Simon says:

The 2 CD set with the (edited) live show instead of B sides is madness. You could say there’s a lot that could be left behind, particularly with the SDEs.

93. Dylive says:

Not a bad album, but still waiting for a Rattle & Hum deluxe resissue, probably my favourite U2 LP.

94. Wesley says:

That’s a very big box set for such a mediocre album.

95. Frédéric says:

What…???!!?! They forgot POP?

96. Andrew Greenwood says:

good news – CD only option, no mixed Vinyl / CD annoyance
    bad news – £85 for 5 CDs
    not sure what would be a reasonable price (to me) here, maybe £50 to £60
    My hope is that is will be released in high enough numbers that the price comes down a bit, then I’m in

• Martin Carritt says:

There’s nothing here that’S new.
      The choice of live material given all the shows they did is ridiculous. Not sure who this is really aimed at. P
      That tell you all you needs to know.
      So disappointed, so underwhelmed.