Coloured vinyl reissue of David Bowie’s Station to Station for 45th anniversary

Red or white ‘random’ vinyl • Physical shops only

Parlophone will reissue David Bowie‘s 1976 album Station to Station on vinyl for its 45th anniversary.

The special limited edition will be pressed on ‘random’ red and white coloured vinyl and will only be available via ‘bricks and mortar’ record stores (i.e. physical shops).

Station to Station was first issued on CD in 1984, by RCA, and then was remastered and slightly expanded by Rykodisc in 1991 (the Ryko version featured a full bleed colour image on the front cover). In 1999 EMI remastered and reissued it again (without any bonus tracks) although that version is not liked much by fans due to the use of ‘NoNoise’ technology.

1991 Rykodisc cover (left). EMI’s 2010 3CD box (right). Click image to enlarge.

In 2010, EMI reissued the album again as a super deluxe edition – or make that ‘Ultimate Fan Experience’ – box set (watch the SDEtv unboxing video) and also as a three-CD deluxe package (with the Nassau ’76 concert on CDs two and three).

Six years after that, the album was remastered again for the Who Can I Be Now? box set (which also included a stereo version of the 2010 Harry Maslin mix) and then in 2017 that same remaster was made available separately on CD and vinyl.

This new version will undoubtedly use the 2016 remaster and will be released on 22 January 2021 (a day before the actual anniversary). You should be able to acquire from physical stores’ websites as well popping in. For example, Rough Trade in the UK have a placeholder product listing in place right now.

Side 1

• 1. Station To Station
  • 2. Golden Years
  • 3. Word On A Wing

Side 2

• 1. TVC 15
  • 2. Stay
  • 3. Wild Is The Wind

43 responses to Coloured vinyl reissue of David Bowie’s Station to Station for 45th anniversary

1. Mark R says:

Stand-alone Harry Maslin mix now please!

2. Pingback:SDE Reissue Preview for 2021 | superdeluxeedition

3. Adey says:

So they now want to turn Bowie fans into modern day stamp collectors?

4. David S says:

Wow, that back catalogue is really getting rinsed!

5. J says:

I know a lot of people are down on the random white or red idea but I really get a kick out of opening it & not knowing what is inside. If I remember right we have done this beofre. I think it is all good & hope they keep doing this.

6. Timm Davison says:

Although Bowie is one of my absolute favorites, I won’t fall prey to the completist conundrum, because it’s nearly impossible to get everything Bowie. If it’s a different mix (like with the recent Metrobolist) I’ll just onboard, because sonically, it’s something new. Likewise with bonus tracks or unreleased content. But chasing a colored vinyl when I already have a perfectly serviceable black vinyl? No thanks.

7. Jan says:

Surely a 45th anniversary version should have a half speed double vinyl playing at 45rpm? just saying. :)

• Tim Barton says:

Excellent point. Those half-speed doubles sound fantastic, and it’s a shame Parlophone have done none of that with Bowie reissues.

• Ugh. A half-speed double vinyl would be a LOT of record flipping. Just give me a great mastering job on one LP and I’ll be happy. As for red or white random, I’m actually okay with that because: 1) I don’t currently have Station to Station on vinyl, and 2) I like both red and white equally. I have the ultra-mega-whatever box set of this but I don’t like the idea of handling it too often so a nice LP-only version will be great. Got mine ordered!

8. Paul Wren says:

Good grief – the Bowie gravy train rolls on. Discogs/Ebay are already full of the original releases and subsequent reissues.

9. Charlie Shillibeer says:

How do I order the David Bowie Red & White Vinyl of Station to Station..?
    Regards
    Charlie

10. Michael says:

“Station to Station” on coloured vinyl? Yes, please! I would be equally happy getting either a white or a red vinyl copy of this album. I hope “Low,” “Heroes” and “Lodger” are being considered for upcoming 45th Anniversary special releases too.

11. Karl Siniak says:

I enjoy these reissues. As a “late” fan (getting really into Bowie from the release of the Blackstar music video) I have started to collect his back catalogue through the CD box sets and then getting the individual vinyl LPs when released on coloured / picture disc vinyl.

12. MossGarden says:

If they really wanted to have fun, they should have half of them with the great 2010 master from the box set and the other half with the bad sounding 2016 remaster as a cruel Christmas joke!
    I don’t mind colored vinyl, but my favorite color is black, it is the easiest to see dust and stuff on it. Today I was playing Rayan Adams Gold that is pressed on see through vinyl, there was some dirt or something in my favorite song on the album, Sylvia Plath, I was hell to locate the problem

13. chibb says:

On a side note – If anyone is interested, they have just announced that they will be streaming the London production of ‘Lazaurus’ between 8-10 Jan. If you didn’t get to see the show I would definitely recommend it!

14. Steve W says:

I’m by no means a competionist but I think I might pick this up as I don’t actually ahve a vinyl version of STS.

15. Seikotsi says:

From reading this site you would think there’s way too much Bowie stuff released, and then you find out half of it is not even mentioned here. Eg. No Trendy Rechauffe, Liveandwell.com reissue, a new cream white 7″ of song MOTHER/TRYIN’ TO GET TO HEAVEN. Guess you can’t write about every release without making it look like a Bowie blog…

16. fredpostman says:

So much has been made from so little..

17. Tim Abbott says:

I’m not a Bowie completist, but I do have a hankering for these. In true nerd style, I’ve switched out the black vinyl editions in the Five Years box sets for the coloured equivalents (the Paul Smith Space Oddity, picture disc Man Who Sold The World and Pinups, gold Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Young Americans, silver Aladdin Sane, and red Diamond Dogs), and they add a bit of extra appeal, even if they’re inconsistently coloured alongside the box exclusives which are all black vinyl.

Be interesting to see how they handle the Berlin trilogy. Maybe a red Heroes and gold Lodger to go with a black Low to make the German flag?

• Frank says:

It’s not the “Berlin trilogy”

Only “Heroes” was actually recorded in Berlin. Lodger has absolutely nothing to do with Berlin.

I think we know very well what Tim means. I tend to call it the ‘so called Berlin Trilogy’. None of the three albums – Low, Heroes and Lodger – were recorded and mixed in their entirety at Hansa – only Iggy’s “Lust For Life” can claim that.

18. Mark says:

I’d buy any color if it was a master similar to the 2010 cd, which sounds great. I don’t have a good vinyl copy, but 2016 master, no thank you.

19. Stan Butler says:

My favourite Bowie album, but this is of no interest. 45th anniversary?!
    The coloured vinyl horse is dead, yet the record companies just keep on flogging it.
    And they won’t stop until the public calls a halt to indulging their insatiable greed.

20. DEano says:

I realised a long time ago that being a Bowie completist was going to be too expensive and too unrewarding to continue. It’s actually very liberating when you decide to jump off that treadmill and once you pass up the second and third time you get a much better perspective on whether these things will actually bring you any joy or not. My early New Years resolution is to be more positive, so here goes – at least these coloured reissues aren’t getting any unreleased/extra tracks added, so are easy passes.

• Ian Gair says:

# DEano, I also echo your comments and decided to jump off the Bowie completist treadmill…I wonder if its possible to purchase just gold coloured vinyl re pressing of all his LPs? I believe you would need a lot of coin for mint condition ones.

21. Eamonn says:

Is this to take-over from the suddenly-stopped picture-viny single anniversaries?!

22. jim says:

If someone buys multiple copies of the exact same thing just because the vinyl is coloured. More fool them.

23. David M says:

Make it stop!

24. Beechlander says:

Sadly predictable after the recent “Diamond Dogs” and “Young Americans” 45th releases. Interesting to see the introduction of “random” red or white for this release – presumably to instigate some kind of interest due to the lack of sales for DD and YA which are easily available. In other Bowie news there’s a 7″ single featuring his versions of Lennon’s “Mother” and Dylan’s “Tryin’ to get to Heaven” (both recorded around 1997-98) coming out on what would have been his 74th birthday in January.

25. Alan Galaxy says:

Parlophone really are going to town with this scalping of Bowie fans aren’t they? They’re aware that some collectors just have to have everything so they throw out product for any reason now. “Here have another copy of an album that you already have 10 copies of, it’s to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Bowie having toast for breakfast”.

Yep. 45th anniversary isn’t even a ‘thing’.

• John MC cann says:

Although in 5 years time, we’ll probably be told umteen times it’s the 45th anniversary of John Lennon’s death!,,

• Jon says:

Quite, although the Velvets issues 45th anniversary editions of their albums!

• David Bly says:

But, “51st Anniversary” sure is a thing.

It’s a shame that no single of that song which was recorded 11 January 1967 was not released on a single by Experience Hendrix/Sony in 2018.
        It was the B-side to “Purple Haze” in the UK, and to “Hey Joe” in the US.

Having mentioned Jimi, thanks goodness EH hasn’t released multiple versions of albums and singles on multiple colours of vinyl like the Bowie people have done. Being a huge fan (saw Jimi twice in 1968 and 1969), I would have to get those.
        What a relief!

• Michael says:

It isn’t really the same as hacking off someone’s scalp to offer to sell them a record they can choose to purchase or not, though. Those collector’s need to get help for their problem and stop blaming others. Buy things if you enjoy them. You are under no obligation.