Whitesnake / The Rock Album

‘Revisited, remixed and remastered’ tracks • Coloured vinyl & CD

Whitesnake will issue a new collection of remixed and remastered songs as The Rock Album, the first in a series of planned compilations around specific themes.

The songs on The Rock Album were originally issued between 1984 and 2011 and are pulled from six Whitesnake studio albums. The 16-track selection includes ‘Love Ain’t No Stranger’, ‘Judgement Day’, ‘Still of the Night’, ‘Give Me All Your Love’ and ‘Here I Go Again.’ This new collection also plays loose with the definition of ‘Whitesnake’ by including ‘She Give Me’, from David Coverdale’s 2000 solo album, Into the Light.

According to Coverdale, “all the songs have been revisited, remixed and remastered. Some have been musically embellished where my co-producer Michael McIntyre, my new mixer Christopher Collier and I felt it appropriate or necessary to bring out the best in these songs.” An example of this is that The Rock Album includes a remixed version of ‘All Or Nothing’ (from Slide It In) that features additional guitars pulled from the original multi-track tapes, plus an alternate arrangement of ‘Tell Me How’ from Forevermore.

The collection features the debut of ‘Always The Same’, a previously unreleased song that was recorded during the 2019 sessions for Flesh & Blood.

The Rock Album is the first release in the ‘Red, White and Blues Trilogy’. Forthcoming collections will be Love Songs (red) and The Blues Album (blue, obviously!). The Rock Album is pressed on double white vinyl, so clearly the other compilations will follow suit with their respective colours.

The Rock Album will be released on 19 June 2020.

Whitesnake

14. Can’t Stop Now
15. Always The Same*
16. Forevermore

*previously unreleased

26 responses to Whitesnake / The Rock Album

1. Jason G says:

I am loving this album. After listening to DC on Eddie Trunk and Mitch Lafons podcast talking about doing these, I was convinced to buy it and it has not disappointed. David is a rock icon and is still passionate about the music. The new mixes of old songs is refreshing.

• Jonathan Storer says:

Absolutely. The new mixes sound great. I was cynical about more compilations but DC has done a really good job here. Just a shame the vinyl is so expensive.

2. Ade says:

I’ve been a fan since ’78 but i too am sick of all the compilations,remixes,anniversaries,box sets and such. I am also a Whitesnake collector so this is killing me. They are also poorly remastered. Just keep with new music,Flesh and Blood was great imo. David was an excellent singer with a voice of his own but all the screaming and shouting he has done on tours has totally buggered his voice. Singing instead of screaming would have made a huge difference. Still a good band to see if you can get over his broken voice

3. Tim says:

More Whitesnake – yes please. This one looks alright but VERY much looking forward to the Blues album!!

• Stefan says:

Gotta have: mistreated, fool for your loving, don’t break my heart again, walking in shadow of the blues, crying in the rain, love hunter, trouble, and victim of love. Just sayin……..lol

4. Adam says:

I’m a fan, but the world needs not one more Whitesnake compilation.

5. Luke says:

This will be a one-Spotify-listen if that.

6. Dean says:

“the first in a series of planned compilations around specific themes.”

Okay, I guess I’m just very much out of touch with the modern music industry. While there has been the odd themed album in the past, I can’t help but shake my head at reading this. You know what I’ve never wished for? Themed Whitesnake albums. And hell, when they do one it’s called “The Rock Album”?!? I suppose we are going to get the “Mid-tempo Album”, the “The Ballad Album”, and the “Reggae Hits” hit album (that one will have no actual music, but the Vinyl will be etched with a picture of David Coverdale with dreads).

This is an industry bereft of ideas. Look at that cover art. This is an album, and apparently a series of albums, put together by suits. I guess it’ll have a market if they make it cheap enough, but it makes me yearn for the days when album releases didn’t rely on such nonsense.

• Dave says:

As a fan of Coverdale since 1974, sadly I agree with everything you have said. I don’t know if this is just a money grab or what, but, for me, the re-release of old Whitesnake material has gotten – well, old. I miss the days when a new release was a new release. I guess there are a lot of fans who don’t know the old stuff.

Grateful for the new release, though, Flesh and Blood. Looking forward to listening to it. But the shameless repackaging of old material I find to be a bore.

7. Stephen says:

Just felt moved to comment on this. Disclosure alert – I’ve got a real ‘soft spot’ for 70’s/80’s ‘classic rock’ – it’s the era I grew up in and first really engaged with music. Whilst my tastes have broadened considerably over the last 50 years, I look back at the music of this time – and those who made it – with affection.

Deep Purple were an important part of that (all versions) , and whilst not the biggest fan of some of the ‘lyrical themes’ of Whitesnake’s material over the years, I can’t fault DC for keeping the brand going, and trying to keep it contemporary.

Also can’t fault him for keeping putting product out – clearly there’s a market – those who want it will buy it, those who don’t, won’t.

But also I’ve noticed DC is quite active on social media during this lockdown period – putting out little home filmed clips to keep a connection with the fans.

So I say let’s raise a glass for the elder states people of classic rock who are still doing it for the fans. I’m not sure it’s fair to comment on whether albums (or voices) are good/bad – it’s all subjective, right? Some music speaks to some and not others.

But at this moment in time, my thanks go out to everyone who is putting out material, new, old or rehashed – and I wish them well.

• Ste says:

Stephen, what lovely words! Good on you. I feel the same, only you said it, and you said it very well.

8. peter chrisp says:

Oh no “here i go again’. I find this so funny as soon as a band release a new album, it doesn’t take long for a best of to hit the shelves.

9. Keith J Williams says:

I’ve always loved Whitesnake since David’s first solo outing Snakebite. Great ep. I look forward to the release to all three cd’s and seeing David and company on their last world tour.

10. Spiderbite says:

I’ve got all of their Super Deluxe releases so I feel fine on passing on these sets.

11. Michael says:

In the mid-1980’s during the schlock-rock big hair heavy metal heyday, if a rock band didn’t look and sound like Motley Crue, Poison or Cinderella, they wouldn’t get signed by a major record company. Sorry, but Whitesnake fall into that category of big-hair-pretty-boy quick money strategists, which resulted in an ever changing line-up of rock musicians so frontman, David Coverdale, could live-out his fantasy of trying to be the next Robert Plant or Ian Gillan, which goal he almost achieved thanks to MTV.

But, aside from “Into the Night” and “Here I Go Again,” everything else from Whitesnake was so overly formulated that it became indistinct and pretty forgettable. I guess the release of “The Rock Album” will rekindle our memories (good and bad) about Whitesnake.

• John McCann'. says:

Don’t know much about them,but somebody bought me the hits album 6back in the day and I thought this is love was a decent song,but not as good as coming round again by carly Simon which was also on it if I remember right.both had big hair but carly had bigger teeth!

• Paul Taylor says:

Spot on
      His treatment of Mick Moody was atrocious, all because he wanted another big haired pretty boy (John Sykes) in the band.
      Whitesnake have eventually ended up like KISS, a parody of themselves and well past their retirement date.

• Albert says:

And Sykes got the push before ‘1987’ came out. And Adrian Vandenberg mimed all John’s guitar parts on the ‘Tawny Kitaen’ videos.

• José María Portero García says:

I think the same !!
      Josevaty from Pinto. Spain

• Tom m hans says:

Into the Night? Do yourself a favor and listen to the 70s output of Whitesnake. They were so much more than a Hair Metal Band. However, in order to get MTV’d DC decided to go with a Bonnie Tyler hairdo and stupid, sexist music videos, like so many others did.
      I blame greed on the demise of Whitesnake and the eventual sellout with Slip of the tongue and Whitesnake 1987.

12. Andy says:

OK, it’s another rehash. However the re-done tracks in the Slide It In box set was a stand out disc of the set and the unreleased track is a bit on an ear worm. I’ll take it.

13. Tom m hans says:

The last album was atrociously bad, I wonder about the target group for this obsolete release? David, call it day or focus on lower key blues rock and blues numbers. The voice is shattered, and rightfully so, after a long run of successes. Playing Ready and Willing right now. Peace.