Prince / Purple Rain vinyl picture disc

Although, bizarrely, there was no mention of a vinyl picture disc edition of the new remaster of Prince‘s Purple Rain album as part of last week’s press release, that does indeed seem to be one of the formats available for fans to purchase.

The picture disc features the iconic album cover image and is not only available now via Amazon in the US, but also features on the official Prince store, which surely confirms it.

There’s no UK pre-order link right now, although this format has been available for pre-order in Italy for a while, albeit with an incorrect release date at the moment. There’s been a bit of a debate as to whether the picture disc uses the ‘new’ 2015 remaster. No one seems to know for sure!

Prince’s Purple Rain will be reissued on 23 June. Other formats include a 3CD+DVD expanded edition, a 2CD deluxe edition and a black vinyl remaster. Read more here.

0093624917021

4. Computer Blue
  5. Darling Nikki
  6. When Doves Cry
  7. I Would Die 4 U
  8. Baby I’m A Star
  9. Purple Rain

PURPLE RAIN DELUXE (3CD+DVD expanded edition)

Disc One:  Original Album (2015 Paisley Park Remaster)

1. Let’s Go Crazy
  2. Take Me With U
  3. The Beautiful Ones
  4. Computer Blue
  5. Darling Nikki
  6. When Doves Cry
  7. I Would Die 4 U
  8. Baby I’m A Star
  9. Purple Rain

Disc Two:  From The Vault & Previously Unreleased

1. The Dance Electric
  2.  Love And Sex
  3.  Computer Blue (“Hallway Speech” version)
  4.  Electric Intercourse (Studio)
  5.  Our Destiny / Roadhouse Garden
  6.  Possessed (1983 version)
  7.  Wonderful Ass
  8.  Velvet Kitty Cat
  9.  Katrina’s Paper Dolls
  10. We Can Fuck
  11. Father’s Song

Disc Three:  Single Edits & B-Sides

1.  When Doves Cry (edit)
  2. 17 Days
  3. Let’s Go Crazy (edit)
  4.  Let’s Go Crazy (Special Dance Mix)
  5.  Erotic City
  6.  Erotic City (“Make Love Not War Erotic City Come Alive”)
  7.  Purple Rain (edit)
  8.  God
  9.  God (Love Theme From Purple Rain)
  10. Another Lonely Christmas
  11. Another Lonely Christmas (extended version)
  12. I Would Die 4 U (edit)
  13. I Would Die 4 U (extended version)
  14. Baby I’m A Star (edit)
  15. Take Me With U (edit)

DVD:  Prince And The Revolution, Live at the Carrier Dome,  Syracuse, NY, March 30, 1985

1. Let’s Go Crazy
  2. Delirious
  3. 1999
  4. Little Red Corvette
  5. Take Me With U
  6.  Do Me, Baby
  7.  Irresistible Bitch
  8.  Possessed
  9.  How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore?
  10. Let’s Pretend We’re Married
  11. International Lover
  12. God
  13. Computer Blue
  14. Darling Nikki
  15. The Beautiful Ones
  16. When Doves Cry
  17. I Would Die 4 U
  18. Baby I’m A Star
  19.  Purple Rain

22 responses to Prince / Purple Rain vinyl picture disc

1. AnthonyC says:

For those who don’t know… the Purple Rain picture disc, publicised it would seem ages ago, was confirmed last week for pre-order when the Warners official Prince Purple Rain online shop went live.

:-)

Aren’t you just repeating what I said in the post? Also, Warners have never said anything about the picture disc in any statement.

2. Mark Hanson says:

Anybody bought and played a recent picture disc? Back before CDs, they used to sound terrible.

• Craig says:

I’ve got an Anthrax picture disc 2 x 12″ of their last album – European pressing, it has atrocious sound quality and one of them was warped.
      I do have a number of 80s/90s picture discs that play just fine though. I’ve got my eye on a few RSD picture discs but fear I’ll be let down by the abysmal modern manufacturing methods.

3. Kevin Davis says:

WB is handling this release very strangely. Most if not all of the Purple Rain related 12″ singles were slated for release last year and earlier this year but, one by one, they were pulled from release schedules. They – like the Purple Rain picture disc – were produced but then withdrawn from distribution (many people have managed to get the picture disc already, over the past few months, from various Amazon sites in Europe, I got the Purple Rain/God 12″ single in Greece a few months ago). Though they got a LOT of coverage from the one lackluster press release they put out about the Purple Rain re-release last week, WB doesn’t really seem to be trying to make a splash with it. The official online Prince store went live with no fanfare, and it presents all of the Purple Rain – related singles (and picture disc) as being released on the 23rd… but WB hasn’t announced any of this formally, as far as I’ve seen. Just seems like they would be hyping this more.

4. Jake T says:

Maybe they’ll do that nearer the date. It does seem lacklustre promotion wise so far, though…

5. MusicFan says:

That’s a good point Kevin, the releases do seem to splutter here and there. I’ve given up anticipating releases as I’d rather wait until I actually see them on sale. For example, I don’t think the hand full of albums pulled last year will be released this year. Maybe the focus is now on Vault material or maybe the reissues haven’t sold very well as they are still readily available. Personally I’d like to see really old 12inch reissued such as Gotta Stop.

I suppose time will tell, but I’m not holding my breath anymore.

• Kevin Davis says:

Given the hints we’ve heard reported, I suspect that the terms of WB’s rights within the agreement they had reached with Prince before he died may be more complex than they might have thought. They had at first announced, basically, a full WB catalog vinyl reissue campaign, only to have a number of the titles cancelled outright, and others delayed to the point of seeming like they’ve been cancelled. We’ve also heard that UMG wants to back out of the deal they struck with the estate because it didn’t grant them the breadth of rights they had initially thought, with WB apparently retaining rights in perpetuity, to Purple Rain, Parade, Graffiti Bridge and Batman, along with certain rights to unreleased material created while he was with WB. I hope someone is able to manage this catalog effectively, going forward. There was an interesting article in Billboard talking about the complexities of the catalog just yesterday: http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7777008/prince-lawyer-jason-boyarski

• CJ says:

From the looks of the situation, I’d say this pretty much attests to the fact that, while Prince cared VERY much about his art, he didn’t give a crap about the financial aspect of it. The lawyer who wrote the article raises great points, but he seems to be forgetting that he’s dealing with someone who pretty much breathed his art. Of course the vault wasn’t catalogued. Record something, make it what you want, decide it’s not being released, lock it up. Someone else can deal with it later, because there’s more art to be made.

It’s very rare that you’ll find someone who is both art AND business minded. Even some of the cases where the two vocations seem to meet are really more of a case of a great artist finding the right manager to run along behind and make sure everything is accounted for. If you look at he volume of the work that Prince did, and read about the work ethic he had while he was alive, no one should be surprised that there is a ton of red tape and cleanup to do just to value the estate. And as a single man with no children and what would seem to be strained relations with his siblings, there wasn’t really any reason to make sure everything was “in place.” Once he was gone, it wasn’t like it was going to hurt him if the vaults still needed to be catalogued or the rights issues weren’t cleared.

6. tom_flyingv says:

Could the Purple Rain pic disc be just a 12 inch single? I see the regular black remaster of the album is going for $5 more than the pic disc and the pic only one song listed in the description on the Prince store website. Looks odd. Won’t be the first time Amazon descriptions have been wrong!

7. Matthew Jessee says:

Surprised that they still make the awful mistake of cutting off Apollonia’s head on the picture disc! I’ve ordered it but that’s the first thing I noticed!

8. Bryan says:

Why is Amazon UK usually the most expensive in Europe for most things?

9. CJ says:

Am I the only one that really, really, really wants an expanded reissue of the Batman soundtrack?

10. FROM MARS says:

• tom_flyingv says:

Hearing the LP pic disc does not use the new 2015 remaster. Anyone able to check this out?

11. Boaz Halachmi says:

An email from Prince’s store says the picture disc IS NOT the 2015 remaster.

12. elliott buckingham says:

The Prince album ‘Purple Rain’ is also set for a new release. This version will be a special limited edition picture disc. The audio is the original audio master and NOT the 2015 Paisley Park remaster used on the new 180g vinyl.

13. Brendan says:

In regards to the audio quality of picture discs: I think many people just don’t realize that picture discs probably will not have the same quality of sound as the regular one. If the seller (record label/artist) is being responsible then they will state on the packaging that the audio quality may not be as good as the non pic version (which some do admittedly say) but I think those are in the minority, so it’s buyer beware, I guess. If you buy a pic disc then treat it as a collectible. Buy a regular version of it too and play that one. I suppose it’s possible that in 2017 they have developed new inks/dyes and processes for making pic discs that result in the sound quality being better than they were, say, 30 or 40 years ago, but you can’t really expect them to sound any better. It’s more of a collector/marketing/sales thing – just like it was way back then.